Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Fake News": The Emergence of a Post-Fact World
(01-16-2017, 10:27 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-15-2017, 04:06 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(01-15-2017, 03:52 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-15-2017, 01:26 AM)Warren Dew Wrote: Interesting that you bring up WMD.  The belief in WMD was largely fueled by a series of New York Times articles published in the leadup to the Iraq War.  I think that's what Someguy is referring to.  Look up Judith Miller on Wikipedia for more details.

OK, except she's a FoX commentator now.  If she sucked then, and I agree she did, why is she OK now?

This wasn't an isolated occurrence at The New York Times, given it was not the first time it occurred there.  The problem was the culture at that paper that facilitated and promoted sloppy reporting and false claims as fact.  That culture continues to persist, making that paper worthless as a news source.

I don't watch Fox, or any television, so I have no way of judging what she's up to now.  That said, one can do less damage as a commentator than as a reporter, since it's generally recognized that commentators exist to provide opinion, not fact.

Name any source you feel is reliable, if the NY Times is not, and let me add my eyeroll to the comments made by you and others that avoiding television is somehow ennobling.  Sorry, but the TV eye reveals what can easily be hidden inside the printed word.  It's not perfect, but it has had merit over the years.  When Nixon and Kennedy debated, readers scored Nixon the winner, but TV viewers went with Kennedy.  Considering how scummy Nixon turned out to be, maybe those viewers got it right the first time.

And yet Nixon actually got a lot more done than JFK did, didn't he?  If it hadn't been for the Watergate thing he'd be remembered as one of the best presidents of the last half of the century.  Oh, and it wasn't readers, but radio listeners who rate Nixon the winner, and the TV thing had a lot to do with him not wearing makeup.

That being said, there is a certain amount of validity to your point, and it is the only reason I ever watch video content at all.  After all, you can see and hear the video content yourself, even if you are subject to misdirection in how it is filmed and presented.  The printed word, well, you're completely at the mercy of whoever writes it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Fake News": The Emergence of a Post-Fact World - by SomeGuy - 01-16-2017, 10:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump's real German analog Donald Trump takes office on Friday, and the world hol pbrower2a 2 2,939 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Last Post: freivolk
  Where to post political topics Webmaster 0 10,534 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Webmaster