Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Fake News": The Emergence of a Post-Fact World
Quote:I not an RS apologist because, frankly, I've always avoided the rag.  I don't read the Village Voice either, but I do consider it to be a member of the media.  If we allow for the broad concept that "reporting", in any form, puts one under the journalism heading, then OK, you win.  Maybe the media have allowed their own label to get hijacked.  I'm not part of the media in any form, so, to me, its really academic.

I WIN!! HOORAY FOR ME!!  THE FORCES OF RIGHTNESS HAVE TRIUMPHED ONCE MORE!

Ok, sorry, needed to get that out of my system.  Yeah, I don't read the thing either, but I was aware of the thing, because I started seeing it crop up in things I like do (or did) read.  Yeah, I think the problem you're describing is that things in the media have been drifting in a less (more?)... "truthy" direction for a while now, and consequently the credibility and prestige of the "old" media has been bleeding away with their jobs for a while.

Most of the mainstream outlets I read explicitly, and in so many words, abandoned their role as "nonpartisan" arbiters of information this election cycle, and had been moving in that direction for a while.  Look at CNN reposting an unsubstantiated report from Buzzfeed, of all places.  Look at the media with the OJ trial, or CNN again with that plane thing in the India Ocean.  It's why I have trouble taking this whole "fake news" thing seriously, the overall media had been turning into a trashy, partisan joke for a while, and the fact that this time they are "shocked, shocked" has less to do with any qualitative difference than it does that their preferred (but not beloved) candidate lost.

But your mileage may vary.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Fake News": The Emergence of a Post-Fact World - by SomeGuy - 01-16-2017, 11:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump's real German analog Donald Trump takes office on Friday, and the world hol pbrower2a 2 2,939 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Last Post: freivolk
  Where to post political topics Webmaster 0 10,534 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Webmaster