Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neil Howe: Where did Steve Bannon get his worldview? From my book.
(04-13-2017, 11:23 AM)The Wonkette Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 05:08 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Now, if the Democrats want to achieve anything, they need to let go of all of these culture wars issues.

If you want Democrats to win in say , Oklahoma, concentrate on economics like Sanders did. He won Oklahoma, remember. If you want Red States to have Democratic wins, the party needs to defer to local wishes on crap like gun control and unite on economic issues. Here's the thing, Red states can be in the Democratic column is they discard the losing deuce of clubs [gun control] and keep the Ace of economic issues. I know this. A practical economic issue campaign will be the winning formula. I'd also include anything that reduces the costs of jail birds.  IOW, just buy off the gun folks with a common economic agenda and the Democrats will go far.
Just a nit.  Sanders won in the Democratic primary, not in a full general election.  He won among Democratic voters and among independents (assuming it was an open primary).  One would assume that the Christian Right, the conventional conservatives (the John Kasich crowd), and the Trump fans voted in the GOP primary. It is hard to know how well Sanders would have done in the general election against Donald Trump; I'm assuming that he would not get the Christian Right or the Kasich Republicans but he might have peeled off some Trump support and he would have gotten all of the Democrats and progressives.

Wonkette, OK, let's get to brass tacks.  I certainly agree with your argument. As such.

1. Oklahoma has been a historic "prairie populist" state. Here's some points worth a good discussion, rather than today's "partisan stands".
2. Take a look back way back with Bryan's campaign.
3. Democrats can of course win Oklahoma with an Economic populist agenda. I know , since I of course live here.
Oklahoma has always been suspicious of Wall Street.
4. So, what can us Democrats do? Yeah, I'm what can be considered a "Populist Democrat".
5. I'd recommend that the Democratic party focus like a laser beam on economic issues.  You are of course correct on how Oklahoma voted.  Let's run some logic here. I rather doubt Oklahoma , in total would agree with "Wall Street" interests. There's been a historic animosity against Wall Street here. I know. I of course live here. Can Democrats win? I'd say, affirmative. The goal of Oklahoma Democrats, as such should be to highlight Wall Street screwing over the "Average American", just like in the New Deal Era. I'd dare say, getting an extra, albeit a small Electoral College add, is to downplay racial stuff [like you know, a lot of us have American Indian heritage] and focusing on economics is the way to way to a win. 
6. Like I've mentioned, I'm "mixed race", so race issues don't matter much here. I have lots of friends/work mates who ARE mixed on the race card thing. I do believe, that those of us, who are quite a lot, are like me are also, MIXED wrt race, so again, economic issues should peel off some votes. Us Dems should at least give it a shot.
7. So... Let's try a new deal approach at least here, in Oklahoma, OK?
8. Our Congressional delegation, I think would be highly vulnerable to a platform that stresses economic problems. Our Republican delegation hates you if you need SNAP [... because you're just lazy] and not due to how the new economy works.  I managed to "fix" my youngest sister's Republican disease when she needed to get on Obamacare. She didn't qualify and I explained the reason. Oklahoma Republicans denied HER of Medicare Expansion.
9. She could get SNAP, but , hey, guess what? No Medicare 'cause the REPUBLICANS DENIED MEDICARE EXPANSION.
10. I just wrote Sen. Lankford, He's a moron. I'd really agree with  you that anyone who voted for our stupid Senators is voting against their own interests.
---Value Added Cool

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neil Howe: Where did Steve Bannon get his worldview? From my book. - by Ragnarök_62 - 04-17-2017, 08:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Were Strauss & Howe Wrong? Anthony '58 3 1,697 06-04-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Trump, Bannon and the Coming Crisis TeacherinExile 234 138,468 08-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Steve Bannon is obsessed with The Fourth Turning Dan '82 17 11,905 02-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a