Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Smart" phones make people into dumb proles
Unless I should ever need a smart phone for purposes of business, I will never have one. I do not now have a working cell phone of any kind, but let me get a job or disability income, and I will be satisfied with a 'dumb' phone. Two, probably -- one to share with a friend in the case that we go to different parts of a shopping mall and get separated. Or something like that.

I have a reader device for travel, and I have used it largely for accessing Project Gutenberg or YouTube while stuck in a waiting room or unable to sleep while someone else is sleeping. I love classical music, and so long as I get WiFi I can put the headphones on and listen to some music. I usually have some reading project on Project Gutenberg. But this is clearly smart use of electronics. I prefer a 10" screen for reading, and I can get that for about $150 in contrast to a large iPhone which costs several times more.

OK -- as with television or radio, smart people are going to use a technology for intelligent entertainment or reject it except as a needed utility. Not-so-smart people will use it for not-so-smart purposes.

I also recognize that applications devour computing power.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Smart" phones make people into dumb proles - by pbrower2a - 06-29-2017, 01:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did cell phones reduce violent crime? pbrower2a 5 3,989 10-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Can Higher Education Make Silicon Valley More Ethical? pbrower2a 0 2,254 03-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a