Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Era
Terminology for a rough periodization of Western Civilization. Imagine centuries in the future...historians looking back....

Pre-Classic = Medieval

Classic = Modern (Italian Renaissance to World War 1)

Post-Classic = American Century
(01-16-2021, 03:56 AM)Tim Randal Walker Wrote: Terminology for a rough periodization of Western Civilization.  Imagine centuries in the future...historians looking back....

Pre-Classic = Medieval

Classic = Modern (Italian Renaissance to World War 1)

Post-Classic = American Century

I'm not sure Classic Xer should be put at the center of things, but if you take that perspective...

Pre-Classic = Chaos

Classic = The apex of chaotic thought

Post-Classic = Bliss

Wink
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
I suspect that we have moved beyond the Post-Classic phase I listed. What I have at this point is speculation.
I noticed that on YouTube you can find videos of rock stars performing (what was then) live...half a century ago! In living color!

I think that when color television appeared back in the mid '60s a new possibility appeared-the past as a ghost. You can look back at events decades in the past, and they appear current because at the time they were filmed live, in color.

You don't get the same effect from, say, black and white newsreels from World War II, interesting though they may be. Being black and white reminds you that you are not viewing something live. This also the case with black and white television.

I know that color movies appeared as early as The Wizard of Oz, but of course those are fiction, rather than a true recording of the past.