Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing posts
I wanted to correct an error in my latest posting, but couldn't find
an "Edit" link. Did I miss it? Has that been disabled? Could it be
enabled?
(05-28-2016, 12:11 PM)John J. Xenakis Wrote: I wanted to correct an error in my latest posting, but couldn't find
an "Edit" link.  Did I miss it?  Has that been disabled?  Could it be
enabled?

Location of edit button is: Bottom right, after you've posted something. It's in the panel with the delete/quote/reply/report/  buttons.
After you're done, scroll down and there's a button with update post/review post. There's also a button to save changes.
---Value Added Cool
(05-28-2016, 06:45 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(05-28-2016, 12:11 PM)John J. Xenakis Wrote: I wanted to correct an error in my latest posting, but couldn't find
an "Edit" link.  Did I miss it?  Has that been disabled?  Could it be
enabled?

Location of edit button is: Bottom right, after you've posted something. It's in the panel with the delete/quote/reply/report/  buttons.
After you're done, scroll down and there's a button with update post/review post. There's also a button to save changes.

Apparently the Edit button is available right after you post a message,
but then disappears after a while. The amount of time is a system setting.

For example, at this moment, I can edit this posting, but not my previous posting.
The edit function is available for an hour after your original post. If you want to add something or correct a link post it in a follow up, if I see it I can edit it into the original post.
I agree with those who would say there needs to be more time for editing. In the other forum there was no time limit. That is best.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-29-2016, 09:53 AM)Dan 82 Wrote: > The edit function is available for an hour after your original
> post. If you want to add something or correct a link post it in a
> follow up, if I see it I can edit it into the original post.
>

Could we change it to 24 hours?

In my forum, I set it to 24 hours a couple of years ago, and it's
worked out very well, since people really like it, and there are a
couple of people who really want to hone their messages. That's true
of me, for example, since I post a message late in the evening, and
often find a typo or two the following day, and really like to correct
them without having to bother you.

Setting it to 24 hours also prevents the nightmare scenario of someone
getting pissed off and deleting all his messages from the past out of
revenge. The worst he can do is delete his messages from the
preceding day, and that's probably fair enough if someone's really
made a fool out of himself.
I changed it to 24 hours we'll see how it works.
(06-02-2016, 09:14 PM)Webmaster Wrote: I changed it to 24 hours we'll see how it works.

Thanks
But I wish it didn't display how many times a post was edited, or how long ago it was edited most recently - or at least give the poster the option of hiding this often embarrassing info.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(06-02-2016, 09:14 PM)Webmaster Wrote: I changed it to 24 hours we'll see how it works.

Good; thanks. The longer the better Smile
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Why not set it to 1 year or remove the time limit for good?

I'd really like to edit the first post of my long thread. If I could do that I could add relevant new material to the first post, updating it as the discussion continues. It would allow the new readers to be introduced to the topic in the best way possible and also allow me to correct any possible errors in it. The first post should be as informative as possible, as these are very complex and multifaceted issues we're discussing here about.

It would be of great assistance to us all and help with the research into the turnings!
(10-01-2018, 12:19 PM)Theojm Wrote: Why not set it to 1 year or remove the time limit for good?

I'd really like to edit the first post of my long thread. If I could do that I could add relevant new material to the first post, updating it as the discussion continues. It would allow the new readers to be introduced to the topic in the best way possible and also allow me to correct any possible errors in it. The first post should be as informative as possible, as these are very complex and multifaceted  issues we're discussing here about.

It would be of great assistance to us all and help with the research into the turnings!

Once a post is quoted in another post, or even the basis for follow-on postings, it's a bit disingenuous to edit it.  I should be possible to quote it, and note the edit in the quote … as an edit.  It will then appear in the timeline of the thread at the correct point that the edit was included in the flow of comments.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Editing out an obvious typo seems OK. Redacting a vile word when the word is used maliciously? I use "profanity redacted" or something to that effect.

Altering a name? "Eric the Obtuse" is old hat, isn't it?
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(10-02-2018, 10:28 AM)David Horn Wrote: Once a post is quoted in another post, or even the basis for follow-on postings, it's a bit disingenuous to edit it.

Just add that "reason for editing" is mandatory? Or that the edit history can be seen? It's strange that fear for "disingenuous" behavior could be a reason to ban the editing of the (first) post forever. This harms the threads and makes them much more difficult to read through. With a constantly updated first post the person who started the thread can build up the information on the first post as the discussion goes on. This allows everyone to see the updated version of a theory in one glance, you don't have to read every single post on a thread to learn what is going on.

If I can edit the first post, I can grow and update it to make it extremely informative to new & old readers of the thread! I can add new statistics, important & relevant links, fix any errors or update hypotheses and the results for them. At the moment none of this is possible, which is sad, and it hurts the possibilities of this forum so much! (And no, I don't want to post a huge updated version of the first post every time new material should be added, it would flood the thread's pages as it is a massive post, only growing in size.)

This is one of my threads: http://generational-theory.com/forum/thread-5120.html

I cannot edit the first post anymore and for the reader to find the updated/extended information and link that to the information on the first post is very hard!! And if I want to change something, update the information starting the conversation, I can't do it! Please, release the editing of posts, I cannot build a big coherent theory here without being able to edit the first post.  Confused 

With the ability to edit, anyone could see the updated theory. If I have a hypothesis in my first post, I can come back and update it with new research information, possibly new charts, videos and other information. Without the ability to edit I can't do any of this! This forum is about theories, so let us make bigger, better, and more coherent theories that everyone can see easily! What could be more important on a forum like this?  Huh