Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Mexico governor shuts down grocery stores for two weeks
New Mexico governor shuts down grocery stores for two weeks

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/polit...-two-weeks
The "Typhoid Marys" of the business.

From the source:

Quote:A dozen grocery stores around the state have been forced to close for two weeks because of a public health order issued by Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham at a time when the state’s residents are suffering from record high unemployment and food insecurity, critics say.

The order requires businesses with four or more rapid responses of COVID-19 cases reported within in a 14-day period to close for two weeks.

More than 25 essential businesses were shut down as of Monday afternoon, including a number of grocery stores and major retailers.

The closures include two Walmarts in Albuquerque and one in Santa Fe, an Albertson’s in Roswell, a Smiths Food & Drug Center in Albuquerque and New Mexico Food Distribution Center in Albuquerque.

Stores need to enforce mask rules. I keep a mask in my car in case I need it. Yes, I will wear it until I get official notification that I can get away without wearing one. Unless I get some certificate stating that I have been adequately inoculated, nobody can safely take my word that I am COVID-clean. 
When people were not consistently wearing masks, I thanked people for wearing them. 
...."Food insecurity" is not about being unable to get to a grocer; it is about having inadequate funds and food aid for buying groceries. Government should be making SNAP easier to get for the duration of this pandemic. New Mexico is a very poor state, and it shows. High unemployment is a cause and effect of bad social policies in the past. I have no idea why New Mexico isn't attractive to new high-tech firms moving in unless it is such things as high crime rates and low educational standards.

There will be an effect. Three Wal*Mart stores shut down? That will not go over well in Bentonville.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

When the US was a free country, Americans could be kind, honest, and trusting, but living in a police state changes you.

No one wants to give to charities anymore because everybody is forced at gunpoint to pay high taxes that fund welfare.

No one trusts anyone because of wiretapping and you don't know when someone works for the secret police.

Everything is illegal, but there is no of rule of law. The government can't arrest everyone because there are not enough prisons and no one calls the police. People in police states must lie, bribe, and look for loopholes to do anything. Men might dress as Muslim females to escape surveillance and change their gender on their driver licenses.

Nobody has morals because there are no churches.

No one respects property because the state owns everything.

No one has children because what kind of life is this?
Quote: 
Quote:No one wants to give to charities anymore because everybody is forced at gunpoint to pay high taxes that fund welfare.

Do you know what your taxes actually fund?

Very little. The progressive income tax was created mostly as a way to force people to continue working to pay it. When the Federal government needs money for one of its major projects- like a war - it simply presses buttons on a computer keyboard.
Maybe the US debt will be paid off by illegal immigrants, technology, a zero percent tax rate, or magic fairy dust, but the reality is that the US debt is increasing constantly, no one cares, and spending more money to reduce the debt will only lead to disaster.

Debt didn’t work out too well for Rome, Germany, Japan, Greece, or Zimbabwe.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
(02-02-2021, 10:32 PM)random3 Wrote: Maybe the US debt will be paid off by illegal immigrants, technology, a zero percent tax rate, or magic fairy dust, but the reality is that the US debt is increasing constantly, no one cares, and spending more money to reduce the debt will only lead to disaster.

Debt didn’t work out too well for Rome, Germany, Japan, Greece, or Zimbabwe.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

The US debt will never be paid-off, because it serves a useful purpose. On the other hand, it will eventually recede in importance as it did from the 1940s top the 1960s.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
If debt doesn't matter, why not just send every American a monthly check for $900 trillion?
(02-04-2021, 04:58 AM)random3 Wrote: If debt doesn't matter, why not just send every American a monthly check for $900 trillion?

Who said it doesn't matter?
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(02-02-2021, 10:10 PM)SusanSusan Wrote: When the US was a free country, Americans could be kind, honest, and trusting, but living in a police state changes you.

No one wants to give to charities anymore because everybody is forced at gunpoint to pay high taxes that fund welfare.

No one trusts anyone because of wiretapping and you don't know when someone works for the secret police.

Everything is illegal, but there is no of rule of law. The government can't arrest everyone because there are not enough prisons and no one calls the police. People in police states must lie, bribe, and look for loopholes to do anything. Men might dress as Muslim females to escape surveillance and change their gender on their driver licenses.

Nobody has morals because there are no churches.

No one respects property because the state owns everything.

No one has children because what kind of life is this?

Democrats still are kind, honest and trusting.

The last few days I prepped my first ever charity deduction for my taxes.  Nobody pointed a gun at me in the process.  The biggest problem was replacing a lost receipt.

I don’t know anything that anyone would wiretap me for.  I suppose if you planned an insurrection it might be different.

I respect the law.  I have not had to lie, bribe or look for loopholes.  I have not pretended to be what I’m not with respect to religion or driver licenses.

The Catholic nuns did pound in their view of morals.  That much I have honored even through my long argument with organized religion.

My old church is still operating.  As I said, I’m still moral even though I don’t go to that church.

The state doesn’t own my little place on a hill, or anywhere else on my lake, or any other lake nearby.  The closet is the town owning the local fire station.

I haven’t had children, but that is because I never found the right woman, not because of the state of the state.

In short, you are one of many people whose view of the world has nothing to do with my reality.  If you live in a nest of lies, is it any wonder that your politics have nothing to do with my reality?  On Xenakis’s site they are all into the war of the week and how civilization is about to collapse, never mind that there has been no crisis war in the Information Age or that the only things conceivably be heading for collapse are China, Russia and our own Republican Party.  He censors me whenever I point that out.  I can have some sympathy for the families that lost love ones to COVID, lost jobs to the bug’s fallout, are the victims of fires out west, hurricanes down south, minorities facing injustice at the hand of bad cops, not to mention the capitol police.

The Democrats are trying...

And I am about out of patience with Republicans working themselves into a frenzy with lies.  There are some real problems out there.  This is a crisis.  It is a time to sacrifice for the common good.  Choose a real problem and do what you can to help your community solve it.  Enough lies.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
Does anyone get the feeling that the Uniparty has been bought off by the elites?
(02-04-2021, 09:00 PM)random3 Wrote: Does anyone get the feeling that the Uniparty has been bought off by the elites?

I am getting the feeling that some corporations have figured out that change is expensive, that it is possible to profit from solving problems. Somewhat different.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(02-04-2021, 09:00 PM)random3 Wrote: Does anyone get the feeling that the Uniparty has been bought off by the elites?

Durr, there's a ruling class?
(02-04-2021, 10:17 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:

I am getting the feeling that some corporations have figured out that change is expensive, that it is possible to profit from solving problems.  Somewhat different.

That is capitalism at its best. John Wanamaker made business dealing more honest when he established no-haggle merchandising. John Davison Rockefeller II solved lots of problems by supplying cheap fuel (then kerosene) to Americans. I could name more. Bad business is creating problems and sticking people with paying more for what they get. The capitalists that Americans like least are typically their landlords and their cable suppliers.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Americans voluntarily choose to work at a job for a wage and then turn around and scream that they are helpless and exploited victims because there is only one company in the world and you can't quit, start a business, or learn a new skill.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alabama governor defends plan to use Covid-19 relief funds to build prisons chairb 0 553 10-19-2021, 07:50 PM
Last Post: chairb
  New York Governor Kathy Hochul Wants People To Believe In Their Government Again galaxy 22 5,735 10-03-2021, 11:51 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Kristi Noem, Governor (R-SD): it isn't infrastructure unless it is for oil pbrower2a 0 745 04-06-2021, 05:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Nevada governor limits malaria drugs for coronavirus patients girlmonday 0 825 03-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  California governor shuts churches, businesses as COVID-19 cases surge newvoter 2 1,346 03-03-2021, 09:30 PM
Last Post: March3
  GOP governor pushes Texas’ first sales tax hike in 30 years random3 10 2,913 03-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: March3
  Mississippi governor extends mask mandate for most of state newvoter 0 724 03-03-2021, 07:06 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Mississippi governor extends mask mandate for most of state random3 2 992 02-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Last Post: random3
  California governor orders Orange County beaches to close SusanSusan 5 1,195 02-03-2021, 10:40 PM
Last Post: random3
  Kathie Glass announces Libertarian bid for governor nom 0 1,544 02-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: nom