Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bloomberg: Why do some Democrats want to give the wealthy a tax break?
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articl...-tax-break

Quote: Northeastern Democrats are pushing President Joe Biden to repeal the cap on state and local tax deductions as a part of his administration’s American Families Act. That’s exactly the wrong approach. If they really want to help their middle- and lower-income constituents, they should eliminate the deduction entirely — and use the proceeds to fund a robust child allowance.

Expanding the SALT deduction is not the most obvious issue for Democrats. Although the deduction clearly benefits metropolitan areas on the coasts that reliably vote Democratic, the majority of its gains go to the most affluent households. It also adds to a distortion in the tax system that pits poor municipalities against rich ones.

The Tax Policy Center, for example, estimates that more than 80% of the benefits from the repeal of the SALT cap would flow to the top 5% of households. At the same time, repealing the SALT cap makes public amenities such as pools or public art centers effectively tax deductible, but only for the wealthy.

Opinion. Data. More Data.
Get the most important Bloomberg Opinion pieces in one email.
Email
Enter your email
By submitting my information, I agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and to receive offers and promotions from Bloomberg.
To understand why, consider two suburbs — one wealthy and the other not. Both decide to fund these civic improvements with an increase in property taxes. In the high-priced suburb, residents would be able to deduct the increased local taxes from their federal income taxes. As much as 37% (the top federal tax rate) of the cost would be borne by the entire nation. Residents of the lower-income municipality would get no such write-off.

How can such a blatantly regressive tax policy be endorsed by Democrats? Two words: cultural politics.

During the debate over the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act in 2017, surrogates for Donald Trump’s administration had to answer the criticism that capping the SALT deduction violated the Republican oath against tax increases. In response, some started calling the cap a “blue-state” tax increase in the hopes that rank partisanship would quell opposition.

To make this trick work, they were required to show that the cost would fall almost entirely on urban and suburban communities on the coasts. That meant capping the deduction at $10,000 rather than eliminating it altogether.

The maneuver served only to hold the door open for a repeal. Those who want to eliminate the cap completely no doubt hope that they can settle on a “compromise” of raising it to, say, $20,000. And they can keep coming back and arguing for further increases until they have effectively done away with the cap altogether.

This effort is made all the more palatable to Democratic leaders by partisan branding. This process could be mitigated if the majority of Democrats, who aren’t from wealthy districts, came together to eliminate the SALT deduction altogether.
High state and local taxes provide benefits in excess of the bare minimum. Paying taxes on money already paid in taxes is simply wrong, no matter who pays them. This was vindictiveness by the Trumpists, and should not stand.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(04-22-2021, 09:41 AM)David Horn Wrote: High state and local taxes provide benefits in excess of the bare minimum.  Paying taxes on money already paid in taxes is simply wrong, no matter who pays them.  This was vindictiveness by the Trumpists, and should not stand.

You wouldn't accept this logic as applied to corporate taxes. This is exactly the logic behind offshore tax havens.

SALT's removal disproportionately hits the PMC and the rarefied strata of the working class. Absent the "middle class" coming over to a revolutionary position, I see no reason not to support its elimination.

As a Marxist, I understand that you're still working class, however much you shit on those beneath you on cultural grounds. I also understand that you have a far greater vested interest in the propagation of Capitalism than we do, and cannot grieve too much over this, which will doubtlessly be reinstated under the next Republican Administration.
(04-22-2021, 09:46 AM)Einzige Wrote:
(04-22-2021, 09:41 AM)David Horn Wrote: High state and local taxes provide benefits in excess of the bare minimum.  Paying taxes on money already paid in taxes is simply wrong, no matter who pays them.  This was vindictiveness by the Trumpists, and should not stand.

You wouldn't accept this logic as applied to corporate taxes. This is exactly the logic behind offshore tax havens.

SALT's removal disproportionately hits the PMC and the rarefied strata of the working class. Absent the "middle class" coming over to a revolutionary position, I see no reason not to support its elimination.

As a Marxist, I understand that you're still working class, however much you shit on those beneath you on cultural grounds. I also understand that you have a far greater vested interest in the propagation of Capitalism than we do, and cannot grieve too much over this, which will doubtlessly be reinstated under the next Republican Administration.

I don't have a problem with high taxes, but taxes on money already paid-pout in taxes is always wrong.  For example, a 70% levy on the Federal level (fine with me for the rich) can't be squared with a 70% tax at the state level (usually OK as well), unless one can be deducted from income taxed by the other entity.  Otherwise, the tax rate would be 140%
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dow Falls as Biden Reportedly Mulls Tax Hike on Rich chairb 7 2,074 10-25-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Centrist Democrats want a corporate tax cut and will undermine Biden to get one Einzige 4 2,131 05-16-2021, 08:00 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Corporate tax rates will be seven points lower under Biden than under Obama Einzige 9 3,348 04-22-2021, 04:12 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 772 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  GOP governor pushes Texas’ first sales tax hike in 30 years random3 10 2,913 03-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: March3
  Washington state introduces bill to increase state gas tax random3 0 727 02-19-2021, 03:36 AM
Last Post: random3
  Cuomo proposes Airbnb collect sales tax to increase revenue for New York random3 2 845 02-12-2021, 07:39 PM
  County budget approved with tax increase random3 0 484 02-11-2021, 09:46 PM
  Equal time, let's laugh at the Democrats! Eric the Green 13 4,650 02-07-2021, 05:22 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Urbana approves food and beverage tax increase random3 0 518 01-26-2021, 08:07 PM