Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Useless Famous People of Each Generation
To clarify, I'm not asking for which person was the most evil, the most contemptable, etc. rather, I'm asking for examples of people who were famous for no important reason and never really got anything done (ex: Lenin, Pinochet, Trump, etc are not good answers. since they all did a lot regardless of being fairly unpopular and ethically unscrupulous. conversely, someone like Kevin James is good example).
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
May I suggest General George Armstrong Custer? Enough said.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Almost all "celebrities" today. What a contrast to what I see on MeTV, Buzzr, GetTV and other channels that broadcast the old shows. The Dean Martin Roasts were gatherings of real celebrities. Today, such phonies think that whatever dumb remarks they make are interesting just because they are celebrities; that is when they are not shouting and raving and stomping and yelling about nothing. I could not even name most of these non-entities and I won't even try.

Any Republican speaker like the current nonsense being sprayed over the land by the governor of Iowa to respond to a Democratic state of the Union speech, extolling the virtues of sameo sameo neoliberalism and trickle-down economics-- even if not using those terms, that's what it is. Truly annoying and truly inconsequential in the extreme.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
ex:
boomer: Ray Romano
Gen X: Princess Diana
millennial: Lady Gaga
zoomer: Billie Eilish
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(03-01-2022, 11:10 PM)JasonBlack Wrote: ex:
boomer: Ray Romano-- never watched him

Gen X: Princess Diana-- wonderful lady, did a lot to bring attention to real humanitarian needs. I miss her a lot. Boomer/X cusper, 1961. She was some of both.

millennial:  Lady Gaga-- pretty good, compared to the rest

zoomer: Billie Eilish-- don't know her, along with most of the other nonentities of today

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(03-01-2022, 10:49 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Almost all "celebrities" today. What a contrast to what I see on MeTV, Buzzr, GetTV and other channels that broadcast the old shows. The Dean Martin Roasts were gatherings of real celebrities. Today, such phonies think that whatever dumb remarks they make are interesting just because they are celebrities; that is when they are not shouting and raving and stomping and yelling about nothing. I could not even name most of these non-entities and I won't even try.

Any Republican speaker like the current nonsense being sprayed over the land by the governor of Iowa to respond to a Democratic state of the Union speech, extolling the virtues of sameo sameo neoliberalism and trickle-down economics-- even if not using those terms, that's what it is. Truly annoying and truly inconsequential in the extreme.

Sport stars are entertainers, except that most entertain with some athletic activity. At least one sporting 'institution' counts as useless due to the nature of the sporting event. Roller derby at least went into obscurity because its devotees were largely 'trash' for advertisers -- poor people with little disposable income. Not even tote-the-note car lots want its viewers; that is saying something.

Contrast pro golf, which has a high-end clientele of people who buy expensive stuff, use brokerage services and high-value life insurance, and take lots of expensive trips. Golf gives advertisers an audience which watcfes little TV but is the dream audience for some items that non-affluent pople rarely buy. At this I speak of pro wrestling. I'll say nothing of its viewers but instead of the spectacle: it is awful. At least the poor people with little disposable income may include those unfortunate to be paying off student loans while  paying off student loans necessary now even for much clerical work. Neoliberal economics creates a huge proletariat of people under the compulsion to be over-worked and underpaid while elites that wax greatly make some of the easiest money possible.

So I went from sports to economic inequality fast? Sure. I can talk of much-lauded sports stars like Brian Bosworth and Joe Charbonneau who failed to live up to their hype. I can also talk of athletic cheats who got stripped of medals after they proved positive for performance-enhancing substances, and of course Tonya Harding (enough said). Len Bias of course exemplifies good cause to eschew "nose candy".
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

I mostly didn't mean sports figures, but one thing seems clear. Major League baseball may be rendering itself useless by holding its working class employees and all its fans hostage to players who receive obscenely high salaries being locked out by obscenely-rich team owners, and delaying its 2022 season indefinitely.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I consider pro athletes 'entertainers' due to their function.

I wanted to put both Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for Millennial, but I didn't want to lean too heavily into the royal theme. Having to pick just one, I chose Diana because she seems universally adored for no good reason, while most people have a little more sense as to just how useless Meghan and Harry are.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(03-05-2022, 09:58 AM)JasonBlack Wrote: I wanted to put both Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for Millennial, but I didn't want to lean too heavily into the royal theme. Having to pick just one, I chose Diana because she seems universally adored for no good reason, while most people have a little more sense as to just how useless Meghan and Harry are.

Yes, but Diana was adored for good reason.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(03-05-2022, 03:14 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(03-05-2022, 09:58 AM)JasonBlack Wrote: I wanted to put both Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for Millennial, but I didn't want to lean too heavily into the royal theme. Having to pick just one, I chose Diana because she seems universally adored for no good reason, while most people have a little more sense as to just how useless Meghan and Harry are.

What for? Being a adulteress who made empty speeches about acceptance/anti-bullying and was good at looking pretty and innocent?
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(03-05-2022, 03:30 PM)JasonBlack Wrote:
(03-05-2022, 03:14 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

What for? Being a adulteress who made empty speeches about acceptance/anti-bullying and was good at looking pretty and innocent?

I already mentioned why, above.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Wait a minute! Where are the ultimate examples: the Kardashians -- all of them and their assorted hangers-on. I can't think of a better example, though the Housewives of <insert the city with the examples you detest the most> deserve solid runner-up status.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(03-06-2022, 11:03 AM)David Horn Wrote: Wait a minute! Where are the ultimate examples: the Kardashians -- all of them and their assorted hangers-on. I can't think of a better example, though the Housewives of <insert the city with the examples you detest the most> deserve solid runner-up status.

preach it brotha!
ammosexual
reluctant millennial

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A revised list of the "bad apples" of every generation Ghost 16 6,318 01-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Name people who were anomalies for their generation disasterzone 69 49,018 01-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Common Mistakes People Make with Generational Theory JasonBlack 15 2,735 10-16-2022, 11:11 AM
  My Specific Presidential Generation Range (s) Theory Cocoa_Puff 10 4,958 09-01-2022, 05:20 AM
  The Lost Generation: Not Gone Yet! Anthony '58 3 1,171 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  What do you think are the major pros/cons of each current generation? JasonBlack 51 11,612 06-14-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  What If Everyone Born from 1967 to 1991 is Generation X? Victorian Jim Dandy 10 3,367 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM
  Entertainers by Generation GeekyCynic 4 1,508 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM
  Why is Consensus Important for People with Views not Winning? AspieMillennial 16 4,967 02-14-2022, 07:40 AM
  The "Bad Apples" of each generation Ghost 72 46,421 02-11-2022, 12:31 AM