Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music that represents its turning
^As much as it it pains me to say as a die-hard capitalist, the USSR had some of the most epic, heroic and melodically beautiful music ever recorded. These two pieces seem particularly 4T Eastern Europe

Sometimes they're more melancholic like this

others are more heroic and inspiring 

ammosexual
reluctant millennial
The instrument opening to the first one was fine. The whole piece is good but would be better without the singing. Myself, the classical Russian 19th century composers is whom I would choose to represent the musical and cultural potential residing amidst this perennially autocractic society and people.

But such societies do not have any turnings or saeculum cycles.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Two works by Aaron Copland. Words by Carl Sandburg about Abraham Lincoln, the Great Emancipator, and germane to another Great Struggle in another Crisis Era eighty years later. I understand it in the context of World War II, a war in which Britain and America would do their emancipation all the way to Bergen-Belsen, Dachau, and Mauthausen. Abominable as chattel slavery was to anyone with a conscience, Nazi-style slavery and their Japanese partners in crime far surpassed that in horror.  The struggle for survival would morph into one of deliverance of even the Germans and Japanese from the horrors that took over their countries.

As America would "disenthrall ourselves" --  the British had done their own emancipation of slaves before America did, and I suspect that Lincoln sought to imitate the British way of emancipation.  Where the Allied Armies went, so would emancipation from the horror of fascist butchery and subjection. Both FDR and Churchill fit Lincoln's principles as well as possible

A Lincoln Portrait, 1942, premiered when the British and American armed forces were reeling from the Japanese in the western Pacific region:

... and then Appalachian Spring,  premiered in the optimism of an impending victory of the Allied Powers over the demonic Third Reich. The world , most people thought. would return to normal at the end of the war.

The Cold War would come and go, but this exuberant optimism seems impossible to recover in the last eighty years or so. A hint: Aaron Copland would have worn this badge in a Nazi concentration camp:

[Image: 50px-Pink_triangle_jew.svg.png]

Aaron Copland was a Jew and a homosexual.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(10-20-2022, 02:13 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: The instrument opening to the first one was fine. The whole piece is good but would be better without the singing. Myself, the classical Russian 19th century composers is whom I would choose to represent the musical and cultural potential residing amidst this perennially autocractic society and people.

But such societies do not have any turnings or saeculum cycles.

I would argue every society has 4th Turnings (hence, music for 4T Eastern Europe), but they need a baseline of individualism to have 2nd and 3rd turnings, and a baseline of stability to have 1st Turnings and experience the seasonal regularity of Strauss and Howe cycles.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The music is getting old pbrower2a 2 1,109 03-08-2023, 10:04 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Sports events that capture and represents each turning Lemanic 9 1,790 02-19-2023, 05:30 AM
  Films by Turning GeekyCynic 0 414 09-09-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: GeekyCynic
  Music during the 1T Blazkovitz 15 6,490 02-06-2022, 04:43 PM
  Ishkur’s Guide to Electronic Music Lemanic 0 646 02-03-2022, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Lemanic
  TV shows by turning GeekyCynic 5 3,357 01-27-2021, 05:08 PM
Last Post: mamabug
  The Coronavirus in 4th Turning media Einzige 1 1,688 08-01-2020, 05:16 PM
Last Post: sbarrera
  Music and Generations GeekyCynic 5 3,639 05-23-2020, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Saeculumnal Overlaps in Music: What's next? Lemanic 5 5,430 12-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  TV shows by turning GeekyCynic 2 3,394 11-17-2018, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Bill the Piper