Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controversial Political Opinions
(12-19-2022, 03:53 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I don't know what that means, but the only relevant fact is that you don't provide evidence for your assertion
Well, for starters, providing evidence was precisely what I did in that previous reply (that survey comes from WION (World International Online News), they're fairly dependable about most things and tend to be less biased than various national news sources).

What makes this dishonest is that you claimed "you don't have evidence that young people don't want to work", only to then...defend said young people for doing just that. It's perfectly reasonable to ask for evidence for a claim you don't agree with, but asking for evidence for a claim you already initially agreed with is a dishonest stalling tactic.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(12-20-2022, 03:21 PM)JasonBlack Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 03:53 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I don't know what that means, but the only relevant fact is that you don't provide evidence for your assertion
Well, for starters, providing evidence was precisely what I did in that previous reply (that survey comes from WION (World International Online News), they're fairly dependable about most things and tend to be less biased than various national news sources).

What makes this dishonest is that you claimed "you don't have evidence that young people don't want to work", only to then...defend said young people for doing just that. It's perfectly reasonable to ask for evidence for a claim you don't agree with, but asking for evidence for a claim you already initially agreed with is a dishonest stalling tactic.

The article you posted and linked to is what I saw. It seems pretty clear from that article that if 10% of young people don't want a job, a portion of that attitude comes from not seeing the possibility of a good job that they enjoy and that pays well enough.

As George Carlin said, what we've got now after 40 (he said 30 back in 2007) years of the system that threw us overboard (i.e. Reaganomics), all we have are increasingly shittier jobs with the longer hours, the lower pay, the reduced benefits, the end of overtime, and the vanishing pension the moment you go to collect it. The owners (I call them the bosses) want obedient workers, just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork, and willing to passively accept all these shitty jobs, and continue to elect politicians who don't give a fuck about them. 

Except many millennials are wising up now and understand the situation, and therefore are voting more often and voting Democratic. They know the system does not work for them, and they are discouraged, and sometimes they give up on jobs, including going into business, and I don't blame them a bit. As far as evidence is concerned, we on the liberal side have posted constantly about the facts of inequality and middle class decline, and it has everything to do with Reaganomics aka trickle-down economics. It is as Hanauer says, an intimidation tactic masquering as economic theory (neoliberalism: Hayek, Mises, Friedman, Ayn Rand, etc.) which says we rich people matter, and you the regular folks don't. Just give the bosses lower taxes and regulations, and take away social and economic and environmental government protections and investments, and the economy will grow and lift all boats. As Rachel Maddow said, that did not happen. We are all still waiting for the trickle....

No other explanation is necessary or makes any sense to explain the attitudes of younger people or the decline of the USA and its middle class these days. The Democrats these days increasingly know that trickle-down didn't trickle, and that better policies that help the people and not just the bosses and owners are needed. They continue to be mostly blocked, but a small trend in the opposite direction has begun thanks mostly to President Biden and other Democrats. Meanwhile, it may not be long before the demagogues of prejudice and culture war are seen to be the fascist fools that they are. The Trumpists failed to get enough people to fall for their scheme to destroy democracy and install a fascist regime this November.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Political compass for the21st century Bill the Piper 256 146,758 09-01-2022, 01:14 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  How Birth Year Influences Political Views Dan '82 12 15,018 10-07-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Comprehensive Political Cycle Theory jleagans 15 10,272 03-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Marypoza
  Where to post political topics Webmaster 0 10,512 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Webmaster