Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Exercise Effect
Usually there is no discussion of this subject here, yet it is very important to personal health. Which does in fact make it ironic in that we at least give lip service to wanting to promote healthier lifestyles. I try to practice this by on good weather days trekking fourteen blocks from where I live to come to the local library where I am writing this. I for one was surprise to learn that more people die at an early age from too little exercise rather than too much. Suburbanites are especially vulnerable to a lack of exercise syndrome due to the fact that you have to drive to get nearly anywhere. I am a suburbanite but do live in an area where there are a few sidewalks available. For many of them the solution seems to be to pay outrageous fees to join a health and fitness center, which I personally considered to be the same waste of money that having cocktails with dinner is. Good Lord, some of the cocktails cost as much as the meal. I cannot even recall the last time I actually had a cocktail with dinner. Must have been 20+ years.

Link to article is here. Posted for discussion purposes only.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2011/12/exercise
(03-21-2022, 10:17 AM)beechnut79 Wrote: Usually there is no discussion of this subject here, yet it is very important to personal health. Which does in fact make it ironic in that we at least give lip service to wanting to promote healthier lifestyles. I try to practice this by on good weather days trekking fourteen blocks from where I live to come to the local library where I am writing this. I for one was surprise to learn that more people die at an early age from too little exercise rather than too much. Suburbanites are especially vulnerable to a lack of exercise syndrome due to the fact that you have to drive to get nearly anywhere. I am a suburbanite but do live in an area where there are a few sidewalks available. For many of them the solution seems to be to pay outrageous fees to join a health and fitness center, which I personally considered to be the same waste of money that having cocktails with dinner is. Good Lord, some of the cocktails cost as much as the meal. I cannot even recall the last time I actually had a cocktail with dinner. Must have been 20+ years.

I live in a neighborhood with no sidewalks, and no easy access to others that do.  We walk on the road facing traffic (at least most of us do).  My habit is to walk about 2 miles twice a day, and exercise in other ways every other day (we have a rower, and it gets used).  So far, I'm reasonably healthy, but the years of real decline ae still off in the future, albeit closer as time passes.  And I agree that alcoholic beverages ordered out are often stujpid-pricey, but I have been known to have a highball now and then on weekends.  I'm my own best bartender.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
This week, my exercize has no effect, because I'm not doing it. Often getting online ruins my day of exercize, and especially when my motivation sags.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(03-25-2022, 06:45 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: This week, my exercize has no effect, because I'm not doing it. Often getting online ruins my day of exercize, and especially when my motivation sags.

This week has had a similar pattern for me.  We're doing a minor DIY kitchen upgrade, but even a minor one takes time and effort.  Maybe next week.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.