Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Culture Wars Reach A New Low
I Wrote an Essay About “Petromasculinity,” and Conservatives Freaked Out

The knee-jerk panic some conservative men feel over fossil fuels isn’t just tied to financial incentive. It’s an identity.

By Liz Featherstone (Courtesy of New Republic)

What is it about climate change and gender that so reliably gets under conservatives’ skin? Recently, I wrote a piece about data showing that users of OK Cupid find climate denial to be the top deal-breaker in a potential mate. Given past reaction to coverage of climate and gender (this TNR piece, for example, drew some right-wing ire)I knew this was going to be a sensitive topic. But still, the hackles it raised were impressive.

Venture capitalist Marc Andreessen tweeted the column, asking “Can you imagine being single right now? My god.” Fox News devoted a whole article to summarizing the column’s main points (thanks, guys!). Some commentators in the right-wing media seemed particularly offended by the word “petromasculinity,” which has been used by scholars in recent years to describe the well-documented emotional and cultural attachment of many white conservative males to climate denial, fossil fuels, and authoritarianism. Washington Examiner writer Nicholas Clairmont, in response to my article, called the term “one of the most absurd coinages I have ever seen.” Other conservative critics willfully (or hysterically?) misread the piece; a writer for The Post Millennial called petromasculinity “the left’s latest made-up reason to hate men,” although the point of the column was that the gender gap among OK Cupid users wasn’t that dramatic, and men seemed nearly as interested in rejecting the toxic politics of climate denial as women.

These reactions carried more feeling than typical disagreements over science or policy. And that’s not surprising: In fact, the term petromasculinity was coined specifically to explain why this issue is so emotionally fraught for some people: a potent overlap of financial and personal interests that, thanks to cynical politics and marketing, has turned into a full-blown culture war.

While the notion that fossil fuels could be central to anyone’s gender identity may seem like a stretch to some people, political theorist Cara Daggett—now an assistant professor of political science at Virginia Tech—explained the connection in an article for Millennium: Journal of International Studies back in 2018: The old order of cheap fuel enabled the family wage, the suburb, cars, the male-headed household, and many of its material comforts. That’s why Trump focused his 2016 campaign on a dying industry (“Trump Digs Coal”), not only to win votes in states where coal has a lingering economic significance but as a nod to the men for whom coal matters psychically. Trump used coal to signify that he was with the real men, against the soy boys and Democrats who worry that coal is the leading source of emissions dangerously warming the planet.

Daggett described how the declining coal industry, no longer able to promise economic benefits to Appalachian communities as it did in the past, still ingratiates itself through P.R. appeals to masculinity: images of the male provider, connecting coal to football and NASCAR, hunting and fishing. From a left perspective, climate politics should be a class war between people like Marc Andreessen and the rest of us. But Daggett’s analysis helps explain why a culture war surrounds fossil fuels and climate politics. As she puts it, fossil fuels not only make profits, they also “make identities” and “cultural meaning,” all of which is “oil soaked and coal dusted.” Fossil fuel use, she argues, offers “violent compensation for the anxieties provoked by both climate and gender trouble.” 

Despite accumulating evidence that coal, oil, and gas companies have long lied to and poisoned the communities they employ, workers in declining fossil fuel towns do have legitimate reasons to fear the upcoming energy transition. (This, incidentally, is a central point in the Green New Deal platform, which emphasizes the need for a “just transition” to ensure employment for these communities.) Others fear hardship if environmental policies imposed by indifferent elites raise gas prices (as happened in France to disastrous political effect in 2018). But the culture war over fossil fuels goes far beyond these specific, material worries.

Daggett argues that as the old order—the family where dad ruled uncontested, fossil fuels, perhaps even American dominance—slips out of reach, some will fight it with a violent nihilism. Many conservative white men—let’s call them petrosexuals—love fossil fuels not despite their destructiveness but because of them. Daggett gives “rollin’ coal” as an example. This antisocial antic involves retrofitting a diesel truck to flood the engine with excess gas, producing clouds of thick black smoke. In 2014, it became popular as a form of right-wing protest of environmentalism; later, in favor of Trump; and most recently in the Canadian truckers’ “freedom” convoy. (Indeed, the practice was celebrated in a country music anthem released in January with a video of exuberantly smoky footage of the latter.) Coal rollers will blast smoke at the perceived enemies of petromasculinity: bikers, environmental activists, and hybrid cars, especially Priuses. Some drivers who do this sport bumper stickers reading “Prius Repellent,” like the one in this video who rolls coal while passing a hybrid on the road, laughing gleefully. A 2017 compilation video shows coal rollers targeting “Black Lives Matter, Trump Haters, Tree Huggers.” One driver yells, “Tastes like America, right? Make America Great Again!” This activity isn’t fun despite being bad for the environment, but because. The destructive sadism is the joy.

While many of Silicon Valley’s wealthy would distance themselves from this uncouth Trumpy identification with fossil fuels, Andreessen is a good example of how petromasculinity can operate in a white-collar context as well. Andreessen has flirted with the right as he’s gotten richer, as journalist Eoin Higgins showed in a 2018 analysis of the venture capitalist’s Twitter activity (though Andreessen supported Hillary Clinton in 2016 after Carly Fiorina dropped out of the Republican primary). His tweet about the horror of being single in an era when online daters care about climate change is simultaneously absurd and revealing. With a net worth of $1.8 billion, if his current wife (the daughter of a Silicon Valley billionaire real estate mogul) left him tomorrow he’d easily find a date—even though he’s almost as old as I am and no better looking—regardless of his climate change views, probably even on OK Cupid. For Andreessen to express concern about the troubles that a normal man would face in this arena is like Elon Musk fretting about gas prices.

Still, it’s plausible that Andreessen is threatened by the demise of petrosexuality in a material way: Climate denial, especially in its most aggressive, violent and political forms, is essential to profitmaking right now. Andreessen is a major investor, for example, in cryptocurrency, which has horrific effects on the environment. Bitcoin, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council, uses about as much energy as the entire country of Sweden; the massive carbon footprint of crypto is due to the massive amount of computing power it requires, which makes it an extremely unfortunate tech bro fad for our current moment, in which we need to reach net-zero emissions by yesterday. Andreessen probably doesn’t roll coal, but business models like his need the guys who do, and the reactionary politics they represent.

The good news is the petrosexuals are in the minority (perhaps, other than pedophiles, the least sympathetic sexual minority ever). When asked in a 2019 Pew survey whether the government should prioritize expanding alternative energy or protecting the fossil fuel industry, Democrats were aligned on favoring alternative energy, regardless of gender, whereas Republican support for fossil fuels skewed male and ideologically hard right. The petromasculinists are overrepresented in our political system, which, through undemocratic institutions like the Senate and the Electoral College, gives white, conservative voters power beyond their numbers. Without that imbalance, plus voter suppression, and, just as important, the outsize influence on politics of cynical plutocrats like Andreessen, the petromasculinists could roll coal all they wanted but would have little impact on our world, eventually dying out.

And of course, without his wealth, Andreessen would be no more datable than a coal roller on OK Cupid. I like to think his anxious tweet was a nod to that future, one slightly less pleasant for Marc Andreessen and far better for almost everyone else. 
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
I have debated climate change on a number of forums for a couple of decades, and the most consistent pattern among climate science deniers I have found, by far, is neoliberalism. As George Monbiot phrases it, anyone who says climate change is real, say the deniers, is "a communist trying to take your money away". Neoliberal free-market, Reaganomics ideology believers, mostly-Republicans, are against taxes and regulations, and removing regulations (again referring to Monbiot) is a big part of this, so that companies are "free" to extract fossil fuels without having to pay for the damage they cause, because then their profits will disappear. Neoliberalism is the biggest threat to our climate and to the living world.

https://youtu.be/jOuzABjrAo4?t=392
https://youtu.be/jOuzABjrAo4?t=801

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(04-11-2022, 03:53 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I have debated climate change on a number of forums for a couple of decades, and the most consistent pattern among climate science deniers I have found, by far, is neoliberalism. As George Monbiot phrases it, anyone who says climate change is real, say the deniers, is "a communist trying to take your money away". Neoliberal free-market, Reaganomics ideology believers, mostly-Republicans, are against taxes and regulations, and removing regulations (again referring to Monbiot) is a big part of this, so that companies are "free" to extract fossil fuels without having to pay for the damage they cause, because then their profits will disappear. Neoliberalism is the biggest threat to our climate and to the living world.

It's been my experience that the people most adamant about freedom are the first to complain about its results.  You can't empower people to do whatever they want and gripe when they do exactly that, but I've found that to be the case all too often.  Take guns.  If you want to immerse the culture in firearms, don't be amazed when murder and mayhem ensue.  And let's not forget that freedom to do what you want implies the freedom to do what I and others wish as well.  The most obvious contraction is abortion, but drugs, gender fluidity and "bad behavior" are on the list too.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(04-12-2022, 10:20 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 03:53 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I have debated climate change on a number of forums for a couple of decades, and the most consistent pattern among climate science deniers I have found, by far, is neoliberalism. As George Monbiot phrases it, anyone who says climate change is real, say the deniers, is "a communist trying to take your money away". Neoliberal free-market, Reaganomics ideology believers, mostly-Republicans, are against taxes and regulations, and removing regulations (again referring to Monbiot) is a big part of this, so that companies are "free" to extract fossil fuels without having to pay for the damage they cause, because then their profits will disappear. Neoliberalism is the biggest threat to our climate and to the living world.

It's been my experience that the people most adamant about freedom are the first to complain about its results.  You can't empower people to do whatever they want and gripe when they do exactly that, but I've found that to be the case all too often.  Take guns.  If you want to immerse the culture in firearms, don't be amazed when murder and mayhem ensue.  And let's not forget that freedom to do what you want implies the freedom to do what I and others wish as well.  The most obvious contraction is abortion, but drugs, gender fluidity and "bad behavior" are on the list too.

Even the Nazis often used the word freedom. As one would expect from people who inspired Orwell to expose the worst lie possible, the transformation  of words themselves into lies, the sort of lie that most cripples human communication essential to the full exercise of full humanity, When "freedom" becomes the pretext for destroying the freedom of others, such indicates that those using such language have destroyed the meaning of the word.

Right out of the Nazi anthem, the infamous Horst-Wessel-Lied

Die Strasse frei, den braunen Bataillonen

my translation:

the streets (rendered) free to the (Nazi) brown-shirt militias -- as is much of Nazi expression it is putrid German.

The presence of ruthless, armed, hostile, politicized militias on "the streets" strongly suggests either that democracy is dead or in imminent peril. Nazis would call for "freedom" from the "slavery" of the Treaty of Versailles, only to enslave subjected peoples  upon Nazi conquest. The Nazis made gun ownership a civic duty for Nazis, but took away from Jews even the right to keep dogs. (I have said this many times: dogs are among the safest and most effective defenses to crime -- mostly as deterrents. Muggers, rapists, and burglars dread dogs about as much as I would dread a bear or cougar. One behaves oneself in the presence of dogs lest one risk a horrible attack. Some would-be rapist hiding in a bush with testosterone raging who encounters a little girl walking a dog might have a deservedly-unpleasant encounter with the Big, Bad Wolf even if the dog is "only" a Yorkshire tiger -- whoops, terrier..

In any event the militia called for in the Second Amendment is typically an ad hoc formation as a defense against such obvious menaces to the order of the early USA as slave revolts, Indian attacks, and pirate depredations (all obsolete) or a defense against invaders before the real Army arrives (mercifully we have never needed this. Some of the arguments for militias have sounded much like lynch mobs, obvious banes to democracy. If anyone thinks that armed, politicized militias are solely a menace from the Right, then consider that in 1945 the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia overthrew the democratic government in 1948 with the aid of "action committees" that were armed, politicized militias. Yuck! When order breaks down (Chechnya, Yugoslavia, Rwanda), armed, politicized militias often bring about great evil.

If we are to take away freedoms, then we must do so only in protection from abuse. The right to drive a car and the right to drunkenness are obviously incompatible. I can make an obvious distinction between homosexual relationships between adults (we might as well recognize love between two men who can love men but not women or between two women who can love women but not men as a good thing because love is itself essential to a full human life, but sexual abuse of children is predation and not love; I can also add that homophobic attacks are menaces to people other than LGBT.  Therefore I can say that adult homosexuality should be lawful, but sexual abuse of children and violent attacks on people for real or imagined homosexuality must be treated as serious crimes.

My reputation on drugs is well known here, but we all know what addiction can do. I am for the legalization of marijuana only because the laws against it do more harm than marijuana  Opioids, meth, and cocaine are very different.

Eventually we will run out of fossil fuels, as prices condemn people to use electric vehicles or find alternatives to the culture of the private vehicle. Global warming obviously necessitates a reduction in the use of fossil fuels. People who define themselves by their consumption (as in egregious expenditures on fossil fuels through fuel-devouring vehicles) assert something specious and often doomed. Practically all technologies can go obsolete, and the gas buggy is one of them.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

And then there is what I call the "Cold War Bloody Shirt Generation" - encompassing the Silent and the G.I. remnant - who are still butt-hurt over the fact that the first Earth Day was chosen to coincide with what would have been Lenin's 100th birthday.

Don't be deceived by their dwindling numbers - this generation still wields enormous influence in this country (e.g., Chuck Grassley, Richard Shelby, Jim Inhofe) - as was proven by the overage temper tantrum they threw when Colin Kaepernick knelt during the national anthem, causing the NFL and its teams to lose millions of fans, millions of season ticket holders, and millions of subscribers to its NFL Sunday Ticket premium cable package.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(04-16-2022, 05:16 AM)Anthony Wrote: And then there is what I call the "Cold War Bloody Shirt Generation" - encompassing the Silent and the G.I. remnant - who are still butt-hurt over the fact that the first Earth Day was chosen to coincide with what would have been Lenin's 100th birthday.

20 April 1970 would have been Hitler's 89th birthday. So? I doubt that that matters anymore. The Soviet Union had a hideous reputation for environmental degradation and waste of energy. There was already Arbor Day, an environmental day of sorts, first established in 1872.

Quote:Don't be deceived by their dwindling numbers - this generation still wields enormous influence in this country (e.g., Chuck Grassley, Richard Shelby, Jim Inhofe) - as was proven by the overage temper tantrum they threw when Colin Kaepernick knelt during the national anthem, causing the NFL and its teams to lose millions of fans, millions of season ticket holders, and millions of subscribers to its NFL Sunday Ticket premium cable package.

Not for long. Like GI's who extended the end of the line for themselves through healthy habits such as drinking less, not smoking, and staying as physically fit and mentally active as possible (just think of George Romney dying on an exercise cycle at age 89 -- how much could one express GI elderhood than that?) elite members of the Silent Generation have aped that pattern, and early-wave Boomers are doing the same. That goes only so far, as some cells stop dividing after a limited number of times. When that number of times is reached for a vital organ, then death is nigh as the affected organ fails. 

Although  people are getting closer in age to the maximum lifespan, that lifespan seems to not be increasing. We don't see people living to 125 or so. Achieving age 90nis still a huge achievement, and remaining a mover-and-shaker in any field of endeavor from journalism to evangelism to acting to creative activities to politics to business is still a rarity. "Age 90" is now moving through the early 1930's as birth years, and although some Silent (Pelosi, McConnell, Biden) remain in key roles in politics, they will be the last. There is now no current GI in the House, Senate, or any state Governorship or state legislature.

As for the NFL... I have another explanation. Its fan support has maxed out. Colin Kaepernick kneeling in front of the US flag? Well, at the least he showed reverence to Americans who have often been enduring some undeserved unpleasance and even outright danger. If you think such disrespectful to Old Glory, then I have seen worse, like a flag related by location that reads "F--- BIDEN and F--- YOU if you voted for him.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Culture Wars Era - is it moving into its final phase? sbarrera 119 63,482 03-17-2019, 10:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Can America be "great" without great culture? Eric the Green 31 13,877 03-02-2019, 09:24 AM
  Where are we in history and culture? Eric the Green 1 3,115 07-05-2016, 06:42 PM