Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing the Conservative Green New Deal
As most of you know, I'm sympathetic to the goals of environmentalism, but I despise the misanthropic luddites and anti-natalist hippies that tend to spearhead them. As such, I think we need to define a new environmental infrastructure deal on our terms. 

First off...how a re we going to pay for it? 
1) Double the estate tax owed on foreign-owned, residential homes (that's right. those friggin Chinese commies better pay up for gtfo). 
2) Good ol' legalize-n-tax weed. 
3) Add a national tax on high fructose corn syrup.
4) Require that all donors to political campaigns or parties pay an equal, corresponding amount to infrastructure projects. 
5) Decrease agricultural subsidies by 30% 

Now then, let's begin
1) Begin construction of high speed rail all across the country. If necessary, eminent domain will pay out 125% of market value for all property seized. 
2) Where possible, begin construction of underground tunnel highways in major metropolitan areas
3) Where possible increase interstate highways to 4 lanes, urban highways to 6 lanes and dense, metropolitan highways to 8 policies. Additionally, individual states may apply for grants to increase country backroads from 1 to 2 lanes. 
4) Add at least one nuclear power plant to every major metropolitan center, and at least 2 more per state. 
5) Increase funding for alternative energy-related R&D by 500%
6) Pay homeless people to plant trees and shrubs. Appoint a team of ecologists to oversee the operation to ensure this is done in a way that mirrors the ratios of native flora. 
7) Set up charging stations for electric vehicles around the country.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(08-05-2022, 04:12 PM)JasonBlack Wrote: As most of you know, I'm sympathetic to the goals of environmentalism, but I despise the misanthropic luddites and anti-natalist hippies that tend to spearhead them. As such, I think we need to define a new environmental infrastructure deal on our terms. 

1) Double the estate tax owed on foreign-owned, residential homes (that's right. those friggin Chinese commies better pay up for gtfo).

They have as much right to invest here as we do. They may need to live in such housing if their political orders implode

Quote:2) Good ol' legalize-n-tax weed.

That's good for starting plenty of small businesses in Michigan, where it is legal. 

Quote:3) Add a national tax on high fructose corn syrup.

That stuff is awful for contributi8ng to diabetes and gout. 

Quote:4) Require that all donors to political campaigns or parties pay an equal, corresponding amount to infrastructure projects.

I'm more concerned with the Dark Money that creates ads that mindlessly demonize anyone who fails to believe that those who own the assets rightly own the political process. 

Quote:5) Decrease agricultural subsidies by 30% 

The small farmers have largely been driven off, so those subsidies largely reward people who bought out the small farms and established Junker-like estates. 

Now then, let's begin:

Quote:1) Begin construction of high speed rail all across the country. If necessary, eminent domain will pay out 125% of market value for all property seized. 

People ought to be priced out of driving very long distances. Rail is far less expensive.  

Quote:2) Where possible, begin construction of underground tunnel highways in major metropolitan areas

That is expensive, but much less disruptive.

Quote:3) Where possible increase interstate highways to 4 lanes, urban highways to 6 lanes and dense, metropolitan highways to 8 policies. Additionally, individual states may apply for grants to increase country backroads from 1 to 2 lanes. 

There's a huge difference between I-94 between Detroit and Chicago (in rural stretches)  and I-94 in North Dakota or Montana. Two lanes on each side are adequate in ranch country in which population centers are far apart. I know well the congestion on I-94 in the Battle Creek-Kalamazoo area (the middle of I-94 between Detroit and Chicago. I am surprised that this highway has not been widened in the rural areas between I-69 and US-131 (a US highway that between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids looks much like a heavily-traveled urban road. 

Quote:4) Add at least one nuclear power plant to every major metropolitan center, and at least 2 more per state. 

If you need the energy, then no more of this NIMBY stuff. Florida could use some refineries. 

Quote:5) Increase funding for alternative energy-related R&D by 500%

We need this. But this also goes with rail. 

Quote:6) Pay homeless people to plant trees and shrubs. Appoint a team of ecologists to oversee the operation to ensure this is done in a way that mirrors the ratios of native flora. 

Good idea. Also give them access to showers and laundries. 

Quote:7) Set up charging stations for electric vehicles around the country.

Yes. Of course we will need a subsidy to get people out of their gas buggies and get their gas buggies to the scrap yard. Maybe GM and Ford could put classic bodies on the newfangled electric cars:

[Image: 280px-57_Chevy_BelAir_2_Door_Hardtop.jpg]

[Image: 220px-Ford_Thunderbird_%28ca_1957%29_at_...014%29.JPG]

Exact duplications might be inapt, and front-wheel drive is a good idea.  Both cars above are from 1957, when cars were cars.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(08-05-2022, 04:12 PM)JasonBlack Wrote: As most of you know, I'm sympathetic to the goals of environmentalism, but I despise the misanthropic luddites and anti-natalist hippies that tend to spearhead them. As such, I think we need to define a new environmental infrastructure deal on our terms. 

2) Good ol' legalize-n-tax weed. 
3) Add a national tax on high fructose corn syrup.
4) Require that all donors to political campaigns or parties pay an equal, corresponding amount to infrastructure projects. 
5) Decrease agricultural subsidies by 30% 

It's fine for conservatives to start thinking about the environment. They also need to reexamine their own ideas. It is obvious that those who need to be taxed are the fossil fuel barons. Your suggestions here are meaningless and irrelevant. Agriculture needs to be reformed, not just desubsidized. Taxes need to be raised on corporations and those making higher incomes generally. Trickle-down economics has ruined the country. It must be permanently junked if we are to make any progress on anything. "Conservatives" need to junk it too, or just be voted out. As capitalist Nick Hanauer said, the economy creates jobs, not rich people. If people don't have any money, who will buy the stuff? Saying the rich are job creators is an intimidation tactic masquerading as economic theory. It is only saying that we the rich people matter, and other people don't.

Quote:Now then, let's begin
1) Begin construction of high speed rail all across the country. If necessary, eminent domain will pay out 125% of market value for all property seized. 
2) Where possible, begin construction of underground tunnel highways in major metropolitan areas
3) Where possible increase interstate highways to 4 lanes, urban highways to 6 lanes and dense, metropolitan highways to 8 policies. Additionally, individual states may apply for grants to increase country backroads from 1 to 2 lanes. 
4) Add at least one nuclear power plant to every major metropolitan center, and at least 2 more per state. 
5) Increase funding for alternative energy-related R&D by 500%
6) Pay homeless people to plant trees and shrubs. Appoint a team of ecologists to oversee the operation to ensure this is done in a way that mirrors the ratios of native flora. 
7) Set up charging stations for electric vehicles around the country.

1. We do need high speed rail. It is going very slow here in CA.
3. Trucks need to be replaced with rail lines; that would make interstate highways safe again and reduce emissions. I don't know if and when that will happen, but truckdrivers are a needless burden on all of us. We don't need more or wider roads and highways or more tunnels. We need fewer trucks and cars on the road.
4. Nuclear power needs to be safe, and use only recycled nuclear fuel. Many places are not safe for nuclear power, including CA. I don't know if nuclear power plants are safe from today's global warming-induced disasters, let alone our endless wars everywhere.
5. We need more R&D for renewable energy, but from what we know already it is workable, and it is building them that should be funded at a 500% increase. We need it now.
6. Many people can be encouraged or paid to plant trees.
7. yes
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Green Innovation in The Fourth Turning Eric the Green 0 584 02-15-2021, 03:50 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  The Green New Deal is a left-capitalist fraud Einzige 0 650 01-31-2021, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Einzige
  Trump Tax Cuts Force Blue States to Deal With Harsh Reality: High Taxes Are Unpopular nebraska 0 1,083 01-09-2018, 08:55 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Conservative "Reviews" of the 2016 Democratic Nationall pbrower2a 4 3,477 08-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Last Post: MillsT_98