Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodstock 99
Recently watched the new documentary on Netflix about the infamous and ill-fated Woodstock 99. If the original Woodstock was an expression of youthful Prophet idealism, Woodstock 99 was an expression of youthful Nomad nihilism. Woodstock 99 and all the chaos and riots that ensued from it are what happens when middle-aged Boomers try to push the nostalgia of their youth on a younger generation while also forgetting the supposed ideals of their youth for greed and self-interest. Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 | Official Trailer | Netflix - YouTube
All the new culture waves get totally commercialized. Reminds me of this song by Smash Mouth.

Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
(08-19-2022, 03:52 PM)GeekyCynic Wrote: Recently watched the new documentary on Netflix about the infamous and ill-fated Woodstock 99. If the original Woodstock was an expression of youthful Prophet idealism, Woodstock 99 was an expression of youthful Nomad nihilism. Woodstock 99 and all the chaos and riots that ensued from it are what happens when middle-aged Boomers try to push the nostalgia of their youth on a younger generation while also forgetting the supposed ideals of their youth for greed and self-interest. Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 | Official Trailer | Netflix - YouTube

It's too bad Gen X threw overboard their heritage from their next-elders so much that another Woodstock was too hard to create. And Boomers too threw their own ideals overboard in the yuppie Reagan neoliberal era which we are just barely emerging from. If humans and western people were smarter and more-evolved somehow, it would be possible for us to build on the wonder and success of such idealistic trends and artistic accomplishments as those of the Woodstock era, as other cultures and artists have done in the past, but it's hard to do in an overly-commercial and cynical culture. Still, although this particular attempt to carry forward and build on original inspiration largely failed in 1999, some other Gen X trends did exactly that. I have detailed this 1989-early 90s "rave" era elsewhere on this forum. I'll find the link. Very interesting and artistic adaptation of the original sixties inspiration to the talents of Gen X.

http://generational-theory.com/forum/thr...l#pid50898

And as this thread linked here demonstrates, it really DOES help if "the stars are aligned". Some times in history are more favorable for such outpourings of love and inspiration than others. So for example, 1989-1993 and 1966-1969 had a lot more favorable planetary energies for this than 1999. Astrologers may say a lot of bunk, but when supported by empirical evidence and a larger perspective, this traditional science is wise to keep in mind.
Potential exists for another better era in this respect in the mid 2020s as the "stars" align again, to the extent that the crisis condition of our times permits. Maybe like the Big Bands such as Glenn Miller did as the soldiers went off to WWII dancing and "in the mood" for "a midnight serenade". We'll see!
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The response seemed a very good comparison of idealist boomers vs reactive Xers.

boomers: "This is our chance to make a statement. Down with the oppressive (GI) establishment!"
Xers: "They're bringing back Woodstock? You mean that sex festival with all the music, drugs and orgies? Yeah, that sounds like fun! I'm game!"

my response: "Things went wrong when thousands of degenerate buffoons gathered together with a bunch of drugs and unprotected sex? Imagine my shock..."
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(08-19-2022, 04:01 PM)sbarrera Wrote: All the new culture waves get totally commercialized. Reminds me of this song by Smash Mouth.

To verify what you say, it helps to be able to discern the words!

It ain't no joke, I'd like to buy the world a toke
And teach the world to sing in perfect harmony
And teach the world to snuff the fires and the liars
Hey, I know it's just a song but it's spice for the recipe

This is a love attack, I know it went out but it's back
It's just like any fad, it retracts before impact
And just like fashion it's a passion for the with it and hip
If you got the goods, they'll come
And buy it just to stay in the clique

So don't delay, act now supplies are running out
Allow if you're still alive, six to eight years to arrive
And if you follow, there may be a tomorrow
But if the offer's shunned, you might as well be walkin' on the sun

25 years ago they broke out and they broke out
Recession, oppression together they toked
And they folked out with guitars around a bonfire
Just singin' and clappin' man what the hell happened

Then some were spellbound some were hellbound
Some they fell down and some got back up and
Fought back 'gainst the melt down
And their kids were hippie chicks all hypocrites
Because fashion is smashin' the true meaning of it

Allow if you're still alive six to eight years to arrive

It ain't no joke when a mama's handkerchief is soaked
With her tears because her baby's life has been revoked
The bond is broke up, so choke up and focus on the close up
Mr. Wizard can't perform no godlike hocus-pocus

So don't sit back, kick back and watch the world get bushwhacked
News at 10:00 your neighborhood is under attack
Put away the crack before the crack, puts you away
You need to be there when your baby's old enough to relate (hey, hey)

Allow if you're still alive six to eight years to arrive

You might as well be walkin' on the sun
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M