Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of immigration/border policy would you implement?
How would you approach the topic of border security and whom you let into the country?
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
Covering the entirety of this topic would require several posts, so for the moment, I'll start with a few points
1) The primary goal of immigration policy would be....we embrace brain drain. We want the best black people, the best white people, the best brown people, the best Asiatic people...it doesn't matter where you're from, we just want the best from each country.
2) The overarching question is "will this help America?". Sometimes this means more immigration, sometimes it means less.
3) Limit asylum for refugees.
4) End policies enabling anchor babies. This would likely require a constitutional amendment.
5) If you are employed, don't have a criminal record and can score exceedingly high on an IQ test (say, 125 or above), you get expedited citizenship.
6) Have a STEM degree? Come on over.
7) We should have active recruiters around the world trying to convince the best and brightest to move to the United States, the same way we recruit for military, college sports and universities.
8) Offer grants for entrepreneurs to come here and open up shop.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(10-01-2022, 03:42 PM)JasonBlack Wrote: Covering the entirety of this topic would require several posts, so for the moment, I'll start with a few points
1) The primary goal of immigration policy would be....we embrace brain drain. We want the best black people, the best white people, the best brown people, the best Asiatic people...it doesn't matter where you're from, we just want the best from each country.

I want the holders of H-1B visas in our gene pool. It's a win-win solution.  

Quote:2) The overarching question is "will this help America?". Sometimes this means more immigration, sometimes it means less.

We cut off immigration almost in time to make possible one of the greatest disasters (the Holocaust) more severe than it otherwise might have been. Would America be better off with the six millions Jews that Hitler exterminated back then and their progeny today? Undoubtedly so. It was easy to open the spigot on refugees from Cuba and Indochina. I'm not going to contrast one group to another except for what they experienced. 

Quote:3) Limit asylum for refugees.

Refugees who never 'return' have a tendency to become citizens, and very good and loyal ones at that. 

Quote:4) End policies enabling anchor babies. This would likely require a constitutional amendment.

Birthright citizenship is a protection of people often indistinguishable from some others of the same group. 

We must put humanitarian concerns above practically everything else. The Nazis stripped Jews of German citizenship and thus protection from the worst. For good reason the USA enacted the Fifteenth Amendment to establish that people could not be denied citizenship and thus legal protection from arbitrary horrors after stripping them of citizenship.  To be sure the totalitarianism and despotism of Nazi Germany made the loss of citizenship even more dangerous than is the case for even illegal aliens. (Illegal aliens still have the right to free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, safety from arbitrary arrest for any offense other than illegal residence, the protection of property, the right to a swift and fair trial in a criminal case, and protection from "cruel and unusual punishment" -- to be sure all of those were non-existent in Hitlerland for Germans of "Aryan" stock. 

Wilhelm Frick (convicted of crimes against humanity and duly hanged for this role), Hitler's legal hatchet-man for civil liberties, drafted the Nuremberg laws for the purpose of rendering Jews as pariahs in Germany in accordance with one of Hitler's Twenty0five Points -- that a jew could never be a German. With other conquests, either there was no formal government by the occupied people (Poland. the Baltic countries, Ukraine, and Belarus, and German-occupied parts of Greece) or the people had the dubious honor of being deemed Aryan nations so that Jews could be denied citizenship in their countries (Netherlands, Norway), and such were the countries which the Jewish population was most completely exterminated. Hitler insisted upon legal formalities to allow his worst. That includes the barbarous practice of Sippenhaft, in which those whose relatives escaped Nazi "justice" (talk about an oxymoron) could be punished as severely as that fugitive. Yes, wives and children of (mostly) male offenders. Something analogous to Sippenhaft exists in the Hell known as North Korea.     

Quote:5) If you are employed, don't have a criminal record and can score exceedingly high on an IQ test (say, 125 or above), you get expedited citizenship.

Join our gene pool!

Quote:6) Have a STEM degree? Come on over.

No al-Qaeda types, please!

Quote:7) We should have active recruiters around the world trying to convince the best and brightest to move to the United States, the same way we recruit for military, college sports and universities.

See also orchestral musicians and opera singers! The economic pressure is obvious. 

Quote:8) Offer grants for entrepreneurs to come here and open up shop.

Entrepreneurs doing well elsewhere rarely liquidate their successful shops to move here.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

To address some previous points...yes, my views on this matter have an element of "soft Eugenics" to them. The main traits I'm selecting for are
- intelligence
- conscientiousness
- individualism
- a baseline level of compassion to be able to respect other's rights and leave them alone
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
If you have no criminal background but do have an advanced education (or are getting one here) and in-demand job skills, in my book let them in (or allow stay after university) no questions asked. They are a net-gain for us. On the other hand, if someone has criminal history, they should be prepared for intense questioning about that and really not expect to be allowed in. Violent criminals will have zero right to be here. Things get a lot more iffy when we get to people who have zero criminal history but also no advanced education and/or no in-demand job skills. Maybe keep the current system around? Modify it to allow looking for work for 90 days (currently, it is illegal to even look for work here in the US on a tourist visa - you must look for work here from abroad/your home country if you want to work here)?

I don't know how best to go about the refugee situation (and this include climate too). Is our current refugee system working well?
Fwiw, the reason I haven't said more about compassion/decent character is that, while it is important, the bar is set a little lower. People who are compassionate enough to make law-abiding citizens are rather common, meanwhile, the point of diminishing returns for intelligence is much, much higher. A 100 IQ person has several times more opportunities that someone whose IQ is 85, a 115 IQ person has substantially more, 130 substantially more still, and even into the 140s (147 is 1 in 1000), additional intelligence is an asset. Groundbreaking scientists, tech entrepreneurs, surgeons, etc need to have incredibly high IQs, and even for lower positions like lawyer, doctor, etc, it's generally easier to get by with a 130 IQ than to scrape by with 120.

Yes, you are probably over-endowed for most activities with an IQ or 160, but that's.....4 standard deviations above the mean. In other words, less than 1 in 31,000 people.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
I would promote easing restrictions to entry for people willing to take work that is going undone: working in meat packing and farming, for instance. I would also bring talent in as green card holders, making the quasi-master/slave relationship of the H1B a thiing of the past. But mostly, I would fund efforts to reduce the flow of reguees and migrants by focusing on their countries of origin. We can't take them all, nor can the Europeans, and it's creating a huge RW backlash as a result.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(10-03-2022, 11:16 AM)David Horn Wrote: I would promote easing restrictions to entry for people willing to take work that is going undone: working in meat packing and farming, for instance. I would also bring talent in as green card holders, making the quasi-master/slave relationship of the H1B a thiing of the past. But mostly, I would fund efforts to reduce the flow of reguees and migrants by focusing on their countries of origin. We can't take them all, nor can the Europeans, and it's creating a huge RW backlash as a result.

I agree with most of this. One of the reason I think some level of "globalism" is good is because some level of outsourced jobs tell citizens of impoverished countries "at least there's some work for me to do here, I don't have to hide on the back of a cargo ship to get to America".
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(10-03-2022, 09:47 PM)JasonBlack Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 11:16 AM)David Horn Wrote: I would promote easing restrictions to entry for people willing to take work that is going undone: working in meat packing and farming, for instance.  I would also bring talent in as green card holders, making the quasi-master/slave relationship of the H1B a thiing of the past.  But mostly, I would fund efforts to reduce the flow of reguees and migrants by focusing on their countries of origin.  We can't take them all, nor can the Europeans, and it's creating a huge RW backlash as a result.

I agree with most of this. One of the reason I think some level of "globalism" is good is because some level of outsourced jobs tell citizens of impoverished countries "at least there's some work for me to do here, I don't have to hide on the back of a cargo ship to get to America".

The problem: corruption is rampant in most parts of the world (even here, though it's far less).  With money in charge, the 'little people', as Leona Helmsley used to call us, are just fodder: the worse the imbalance, the worse the oppression.  I see exacly no one interested in fixing this, so any hope that the oppressed people of the world can stay at home and prosper is miniscule.

Smedley Butler had it right: the rich use the armies of the world as population management tools.  I don't see that changing in my lifetime.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Tear a page from Japan's playbook: Impose a more or less a total ban on immigration, except for jobs that require an advanced degree.

This will make it desirable for the less-well-educated to join the work force, where wages will soar due to the labor shortages that such an agenda would create.

See the Reed-Johnson Act on 1924, which gave us a 1.9% unemployment rate by 1926 - the lowest peacetime jobless rate in our history.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892