Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canada
Seeing Obama with Justin Trudeau hammered home how different Canada seems than the US and Europe right now and it got me wondering if Canada isn’t significantly behind us.  Looking at expo 67 it looks like it was either 1T or very early 2T(like 64 or 65 in the US) and I’m not sure the Canadian 2T ended until the 90s; both the collapse of the Progressive Conservative Party and the failed Québec independence referendum seem more like 2T events.

Video of Expo '67

(07-01-2016, 10:41 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: The most important difference between Canada and the US is the path by which Canada attained independence. As a result, Canada remains a Realm and has a Parliamentary system in place. Of course, ultimately, from a structural perspective, Canada is not immune from what has happened in the UK. That said, somehow I think the innate psyche of Canada is just healthier than either the US, the UK or countries in Continental Europe.

Another is that Canada never had the pervasive institution of chattel slavery. For an escaped slave in America, entering Canada was entering the Free World. The British empire formally abolished slavery peacefully about thirty years before slavery came to an end in the USA in one of the costliest wars ever.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

As a Canadian I think we're pretty much on the same cycles. WWII affected us in a similar way - we entered the war in 1939; the way that the older generation speaks of the impacts of the depressions & war are very similar to how Americans do. Kids were raised similarly, our boomers are just as annoying as yours (yes, I'm an Xer/Joneser). Smile