Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time to close this forum?
Thanks, Eric. I hope that retrenchment means that the USA will miss out on a big war this time around. I think that it would be foolish, and perhaps suicidal, if the USA were to try to remain the hegemonic power through force.

I have become skeptical regarding "free trade", if that means a race to the bottom. On the other hand, I think that Trump is wrong to insult people of other nationalities, such as Mexicans.

Really, if this 4T would turn out to mean cleaning up our mess, then that would be the desirable kind of 4T to have.
(04-20-2018, 11:59 AM)Tim Randal Walker Wrote: Depends on whether we are talking about domestic issues, or international issues.

As Peter Zeihan (zeihan.com) has pointed out, an isolationist/protectionist mood now prevails with both the Republicans and the Democrats, indeed, the country as a whole.  Retrenchment, if not out right isolationism.  And as that means non-involvement with most of the world, it is easy to see why this would be embraced by different groups that  disagree about domestic issues.

Yes, there are isolationist wings in both parties, but there are also free traders and neo-cons as well.  If I have to place a bet, I'll bet on a realignment that produces two parties very different form the Dems and Reps, even though the names may continue to be used.  It's hard to know where that leads until the realignment is fully under way, but less involvement in the world is more likely if, for no other reason, our current involvement is so extensive. 

Taking just one of the many huge issues, what do you see happening to the ever-growing number of refugees?  Every unstable nation seems to hemorrhaging them, and the rest world is tiring of accepting them into their otherwise stable lives.  The isolationists want to plug their ears and chant La-La-La until they disappear, which has nearly zero percent chance of actually occurring.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(04-20-2018, 03:03 PM)Tim Randal Walker Wrote: Thanks, Eric.  I hope that retrenchment means that the USA will miss out on a big war this time around.  I think that it would be foolish, and perhaps suicidal, if the USA were to try to remain the hegemonic power through force.

I have become skeptical regarding "free trade", if that means a race to the bottom.  On the other hand, I think that Trump is wrong to insult people of other nationalities, such as Mexicans.

Really, if this 4T would turn out to mean cleaning up our mess, then that would be the desirable kind of 4T to have

We can only hope.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.