Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What defines Western civilisation?
(03-14-2021, 12:57 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 11:54 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Objective naturalism in art. This really separates the Renaissance from earlier times, in part by making perspective relevant. People who violate the rules can get away with it, but only if they violate those rules for compelling reasons. Perspective allows people to see the world in three dimensions (with obvious limitations) , which allows for more detail in the expression of images.  

Perspective also makes analytic geometry and the calculus possible.

Western civilization predates the Renaissance and its styles by two millennia, at least. It has gone through many phases, some more spiritually and religiously driven, and others more naturalist, humanist and objective. In our modern era, starting in circa 1890s, objectivism and naturalism were put on the back burner, and a new WORLD civilization has been being born, which shall be our heritage henceforth.

Of course, all Western cultures underwent the Renaissance or have cultures derived from it. Medieval ways of life are now rare in the West.

It is obviously true that some cultures that can't be fully seen as Western (Japan is a prime example) adopted much that is Western, such as... perspective in the arts.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

A wikipedia map illustrates it best:
[Image: Western_World_Latin_America_torn_countries.png]
So it's basically Christian countries (which rules out Albania, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Israel, and Lebanon) not in Africa (which rules out South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, and arguably Cabo Verde). I would definitely consider the Philippines western, if in the pale blue category (as I see most of Latin America). Guyana and Suriname must have too many Hindus and Muslims... whatever.

I would strike Hawaii and Greenland, and largely-Inuit areas of Alaska and Canada.

Turkey has a huge role in western history.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(04-25-2021, 06:05 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: So it's basically Christian countries (which rules out Albania, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Israel, and Lebanon) not in Africa (which rules out South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, and arguably Cabo Verde).

I think South Africa should be in the pale blue category. It's about as Western as Guatemala or Peru, with a small but significant white population whose culture strongly influences the majority. Otherwise, African Christianity is often a syncretic religion with no Western traits. I've seen a video about a guy in Congo/Zaire who pretends to be a pastor, but sells "magical juice curing all diseases". His followers are willing to pay a lot to buy it. I cannot imagine such a person flourishing in a Western nation.

Quote:I would definitely consider the Philippines western, if in the pale blue category (as I see most of Latin America). Guyana and Suriname must have too many Hindus and Muslims... whatever.

I agree. Haiti's culture also looks like Africa rather than America.

Quote:I would strike Hawaii and Greenland, and largely-Inuit areas of Alaska and Canada.  

Pale blue.

Quote:Turkey has a huge role in western history.

It was Western until the fall of Constantinople. Ataturk re-introduced some Western thinking, but nowadays Japan is way more Western than Turkey.

The Emperor Constantine can be considered the "founding father" of Western Civilization, for his decision marks the "marriage" between Greeko-Roman antiquity with its philosophical tradition which became Western rationalism and Christianity which is the source of ideas about human dignity resulting in Western individualism.

Puritanism and later Evangelicalism can be viewed as an attempt to restore Christianity to its Hebrew roots.
(06-09-2021, 03:55 AM)Captain Genet Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 06:05 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: So it's basically Christian countries (which rules out Albania, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Israel, and Lebanon) not in Africa (which rules out South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, and arguably Cabo Verde).

I think South Africa should be in the pale blue category. It's about as Western as Guatemala or Peru, with a small but significant white population whose culture strongly influences the majority. Otherwise, African Christianity is often a syncretic religion with no Western traits. I've seen a video about a guy in Congo/Zaire who pretends to be a pastor, but sells "magical juice curing all diseases". His followers are willing to pay a lot to buy it. I cannot imagine such a person flourishing in a Western nation.

Although heavily Christian, Ethiopia isn't particularly Western. It has been isolated and independent for too much of its history to be Western.  Cabo Verde looks as if it has more in common with Brazil than with any other part of Africa. Namibia and Botswana are at least cultural satellites of South Africa. 

Sorcery is heretical in all forms of mainstream Christianity.

Quote:
Quote:I would definitely consider the Philippines western, if in the pale blue category (as I see most of Latin America). Guyana and Suriname must have too many Hindus and Muslims... whatever.

I agree. Haiti's culture also looks like Africa rather than America.

But one could say much the same about Brazil's Northeast. I recall the 2016 Olympic celebrations, and Afro-Brazilians seem to have kept more traces of African culture than have US and Caribbean blacks. 

Quote:
Quote:I would strike Hawaii and Greenland, and largely-Inuit areas of Alaska and Canada.  

Pale blue.

OK.

Quote:
Quote:Turkey has a huge role in western history.

It was Western until the fall of Constantinople. Ataturk re-introduced some Western thinking, but nowadays Japan is way more Western than Turkey.

The Emperor Constantine can be considered the "founding father" of Western Civilization, for his decision marks the "marriage" between Greeko-Roman antiquity with its philosophical tradition which became Western rationalism and Christianity which is the source of ideas about human dignity resulting in Western individualism.

Puritanism and later Evangelicalism can be viewed as an attempt to restore Christianity to its Hebrew roots.

To be sure, Turkey had more of a share in Western history before it exterminated or expelled the once-large Greek and Armenian Christian populations. How Turkey evaded become a theater of war during WWII still amazes me. Too many obvious positions of defense for an Anglo-Turkish alliance?

(06-09-2021, 04:45 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: But one could say much the same about Brazil's Northeast. I recall the 2016 Olympic celebrations, and Afro-Brazilians seem to have kept more traces of African culture than have US and Caribbean blacks. 

My uncle has been there and remarked the region is 100% Black the same way Belarus is 100% White. Then I looked up stats in CIA factbook and found out Brazil is 50% White. Possibly the south is White-dominated. The Britannica article does not discuss this.