Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it Common for those who Disagree with their Generation to be Hardliners?
If I we
(07-05-2021, 05:59 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: If I we

Quite possibly. Hardliners are often misfits in the milieus in which they are raised. Misfits rebel or go too far.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

It is possible: Ayn Rand was a GI with Xer attitudes, LaVey was a Lost with Xer attitudes and Trump is a Boomer with Xer attitudes - all of them became hardliners. But then there is Maslow, who was a moderate Inclusivist, despite being a Lost with Boomer attitudes. I can also think of people who suit their generational archetypes well, but become hardliners anyway, like Hitler, Trotsky and the Antifa kids.
(07-06-2021, 02:05 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:

Quite possibly. Hardliners are often misfits in the milieus in which they are raised. Misfits rebel or go too far.

What other response is there when the culture is very hostile to your views?
(07-15-2021, 12:38 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote:
(07-06-2021, 02:05 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:

What other response is there when the culture is very hostile to your views?

Disaffected people tend toward radicalism because the Establishment has little to offer. 

America is not profoundly anti-religious. You can find a community that shares your beliefs and entices you to join. I don't know what your religious view are . Here's one way.  Here's one quiz that might establish what beliefs are most compatible with you:

https://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment/...matic.aspx

In my case I came up with "liberal Quaker". I'm generally a pacifist, although I would stand up against totalitarian enemies and gangsters -- and abhor crime. Human goodness is enough to solve all problems; with it people can achieve dignity even at a low level of economic development, and without good character people mess up badly despite having all the advantages in life.  There is likely one God because the universe makes sense and follows rigid commands in laws of physics, geometry, numbers, and the logical dialectic universal in applicability irrespective of time and place within our universe from the Big Bang on. God exists, but He chooses mercy and forgives misunderstandings of Him, if not egregious sins such as slave-trafficking, military aggression, gangsterism, and the perpetration of the Holocaust or Holodomor. 

So -- don't murder, rape, steal, commit perjury, swear fraudulent oaths, abandon the vulnerable to the worst, deal street drugs, affiliate with brutal regimes, or involve yourself in a sordid economic activity. If alcohol is permissible, drunkenness isn't. We are all flawed, but some of us are less-flawed than others.   

See how much your beliefs match up with other religions below. To learn more about your faith and others, click here now.

100%
Liberal Quakerism
90%
Unitarian Universalism
85%
Secular Humanism
79%
Reformed Judaism
76%
Liberal Christian Protestantism
63%
Orthodox Quakerism
63%
New Age
60%
Mahayana Buddhism
59%
Taoism
58%
Neo-Paganism
58%
Sikhism
56%
Jainism
55%
Scientology
53%
Atheism

52%
Theravada Buddhism
50%
Bahá'í Faith
50%
New Thought
46%
Islam
44%
Church of Christ, Scientist
40%
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
40%
Orthodox Judaism
37%
Hinduism
34%
Conservative Christian Protestant
24%
Seventh-day Adventists
22%
Roman Catholicism
18%
Jehovah's Witnesses
18%
Eastern Orthodox Christianity

The top four fit fairly well. I can't see why eastern Orthodox Christianity is such a bad fit. I am surprised that Scientology (which I absolutely abhor) is above atheism... OK, I define the self-evident reality of the Universe as God.  In that sense, the laws of geometry that Euclid codified, the laws of motion that we associate with Newton, and relativity that we associate with Einstein are God's laws, and not ours. We can live with them or we can be fools and let them make our lives nasty, short, and brutish.   
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Misfits and contrarians tend to gravitate toward Nomad/Reactive Gen characteristics in general.  That said, there is a difference between strong opinions and zealous opinions. Contrarians tend to be "hardliners" in that they hold their beliefs with a confidence born of years of experience taking on the majority, but they also tend to hold more nuanced and fleshed out opinions, because they've been pushed into or instigated more debates. People with conventional views simply don't have as much incentive to study  up on things (many still do, but it's less of a necessity).
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
The thing about Scientology is there's a difference between their philosophy and views about life and the universe and all, and the fact that you have to pay lots of money or become a volunteer to take their courses that are supposed to lead to a better fit with the life they profess, called "clear and OT", and their aggressive, cultish promotion techniques and tendency to clash with some people who oppose them. The philosophy is basically Buddhist, crafted into a psychological technology for "clearing" by a former science fiction writer turned guru-master teacher, L. Ron Hubbard, who claims to be Buddha reincarnate. That means that on a questionnaire that anyone takes, Scientology will end up close to where Buddhism is, usually Mahayana. For me Scientology comes in around number 10; the recent selectsmart test I took put Scientology at #9 and Mahayana Buddhism at #8. It's also partly because I did study it and take a few courses in it and read some of Ron's books.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why "Hero" isn't the Best Moniker for the Civic Generation JasonBlack 0 723 06-02-2022, 01:41 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Was there the equivalent of NEETs by choice in the GI Generation? AspieMillennial 2 2,478 04-03-2019, 12:48 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Diversity defines the millennial generation Dan '82 0 2,261 07-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Dan '82