Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Ding, dong! The witch is dead!

Margot Honecker (née Feist; 17 April 1927 – 6 May 2016) was an East German politician who was an influential member of the East German communist party and the country's regime until 1989. From 1963 until 1989, she was Minister of People's Education (Ministerin für Volksbildung) of the GDR. She was married to Erich Honecker, the leader of East Germany from 1971 until 1989.

Margot Honecker was widely known as the "Purple Witch" for her tinted hair and hardline Stalinist views,[1] and was described as "the most hated person" in East Germany next to Stasi chief Erich Mielke by former Bundestag president Wolfgang Thierse.[2] She was responsible for the enactment of the "Uniform Socialist Education System" in 1965 and mandatory military training in schools to prepare pupils for a future war with the west.[3] She was alleged to have been responsible for the regime's forced adoption of children of jailed dissidents or people who attempted to desert from GDR,[4] and she is considered to have "left a cruel legacy of separated families."[3] She also established prison-like institutions for children, including a camp at Torgau known as "Margot's concentration camp."[5] She was one of the few spouses of ruling Communist leaders who held significant power in her own right, though her prominence in the regime predated her husband's ascension to the leadership of the SED.

Following the downfall of the communist regime in 1989, Honecker fled to the Soviet Union with her husband to avoid criminal charges from the Government of Germany.[6] Fearing extradition to Germany, they took refuge in the Chilean embassy in Moscow in 1991, but in 1992 her husband was extradited to Germany by Yeltsin's Russian government to face criminal trial, and was detained in the Moabit prison.[7][8] Margot Honecker then fled[9] from Moscow to Chile to avoid a similar fate.[10] At the time of her death, she lived in Chile with her daughter Sonja.
She left the East German communist party in 1990, after her husband's expulsion from the party, and later became a member of the small fringe party Communist Party of Germany (1990),[11] which is considered extremist by the German authorities.[12] Openly Stalinist, it condemned the de-Stalinization in the Soviet Union as "revisionist" and supported the North Korean regime.[13]

Honecker was born Margot Feist in Halle on 17 April 1927,[14] the daughter of a shoemaker, Gotthard Feist (1906–1993), and a factory worker, Helene Feist (c.1906-1940). Her parents were members of Communist Party of Germany (KPD). Her father was imprisoned in Lichtenburg concentration camp in the 1930s and from 1937 until 1939 in Buchenwald concentration camp. Gestapo agents searched their apartment for evidence of subversive activities on several occasions. After graduating from elementary school, she was a member of the Nazi Party's girls' organisation Bund Deutscher Mädel from 1938 to 1945, whose membership was obligatory.[15][16] Her mother died in 1940 when Margot was 13 years old.

Her brother, Manfred Feist, later became the leader of the Foreign Information department within the party's Central Committee.[17]

In 1945 Margot Feist joined the KPD. After April 1946, with the contentious merger of the SPD and KPD, she became a member of East Germany's next ruling party, the Socialist Unity Party (Sozialistische Einheitspartei Deutschlands / SED), working in Halle as a shorthand typist with the FDGB (Trades Union Federation) regional executive for Saxony-Anhalt.[15]
In 1946 she also joined the regional secretariat of the Free German Youth (FDJ) – effectively the youth wing of the ruling party - in Halle. She then began a meteoric rise through its various departments. In 1947 she became the leader of the culture and education department in the FDJ's regional executive and in 1948 secretary of the FDJ's central council as well as chairperson of the Ernst Thälmann Pioneer Organisation.

Attending the Volkskammer in 1951. During this period she was having an affair with Erich Honecker.
By 1949 Feist was a member of the GDR's precursor parliament (German: Volksrat). In 1950 at the age of 22 she was elected as a representative in the newly founded People's Chamber (German: Volkskammer).[18]
Margot Feist met her future husband, Erich Honecker, at FDJ meetings when he was the chairman of the Freie Deutsche Jugend. Honecker was 15 years older and married. The relationship between them nevertheless moved on when Margot Feist (as she was then), in her capacity as leader of the "Ernst Thälmann young pioneers", was a member of the delegation that traveled to Moscow for the celebration of Stalin's official birthday. The East German delegation was led by Erich Honecker.[19] Intimacy ensued. After she became pregnant and gave birth to their daughter Sonja in 1952, Honecker divorced his second wife Edith[20] and married Margot.[14][21]

In 1963 Honecker became Minister of People's Education (German: Volksbildungsministerin), after a period of occupying the office as Acting Minister. On 25 February 1965 she introduced the law that made "the uniform socialist education system" standard in all schools, colleges and universities throughout East Germany.[18]
In 1978 Honecker introduced, against the opposition of the churches and many parents, military lessons (German: Wehrkunde) for 9th and 10th grade high school students (this included training on weapons such as aerial guns and the KK-MPi).[22] Her tenure lasted until the fall of the GDR in 1989.[23]

She was, allegedly but never proven,[16] responsible for the regime's kidnapping and forced adoption of children of jailed dissidents or people who attempted to desert from GDR, and she is considered to have "left a cruel legacy of separated families."[3] Margot dismissed the allegations that she had directed a program of forced adoptions: "It didn’t exist".[16] She also established prison-like institutions for children, including a camp at Torgau known as "Margot's concentration camp."[5]

Margot Honecker was widely known as the "Purple Witch" for her tinted hair and hardline Stalinist views, and was "hated and feared" in East Germany.[1][24] Former Bundestag president Wolfgang Thierse has described her as "the most hated person" in East Germany next to Stasi chief Erich Mielke.[25][2]

Throughout the Peaceful Revolution of 1989 Honecker briefly remained in office after her husband's ouster as leader of the Communist Party in October 1989, but resigned along with most of the cabinet in November. Prime Minister Willi Stoph briefly took over the education minister's office. In hopes of improving its image, the Party of Democratic Socialism, successor of the SED, expelled both her and her husband a month later.

In 1990, charges were made against Honecker as Minister of Education. These included accusations that she had arranged politically motivated arrests, had separated children against their will from their parents and made compulsory adoptions of children from persons deemed unreliable by the state.[26]

After 1992 Margot Honecker lived in Santiago, Chile,[32] with her daughter Sonja Yáñez Betancourt, her daughter's Chilean husband Leo Yáñez Betancourt and their son Roberto Yáñez.[33] In January 1993 Erich Honecker's trial back in Berlin, which some felt had by that stage already descended into farce, was cut short because, it was said, of the rapidly deteriorating health of the accused.[22][34] He left Berlin for the last time on 13 March 1993, bound for Chile.[30] Erich Honecker lived with his wife and daughter, whose own twenty year marriage ended in divorce the year after her parents moved in.[35] He died of liver cancer at the age of 81 years on 29 May 1994 in Santiago. His body was cremated. Margot Honecker is believed[by whom?] to have kept his ashes.[citation needed]

In 1999, Honecker failed in her legal attempt to sue the German government for €60,300 of property confiscated following reunification. In 2001, her appeal to ECtHR failed.[36][37] She received a survivor's pension and the old-age pension of the German old-age pension insurance federation of about 1,500 euros, which she regarded as insolently sparse.[38]

In 2000, Luis Corvalán, the former General Secretary of the Communist Party of Chile, published the book The Other Germany – the GDR. Discussions with Margot Honecker, in which Honecker speaks about the history of the GDR from her perspective.[39]

On 19 July 2008, on the occasion of the 29th anniversary of the Sandinista revolution in Nicaragua, Honecker received the order for cultural independence "Rubén Dario" from President Daniel Ortega. The award was in recognition of Honecker's untiring support of the national campaign against illiteracy in the 1980s.[32] This honor was Honecker's first public appearance since the fall of the Berlin Wall. Honecker was reported to have said she was grateful for the honor; but publicly no words were spoken. The left-wing heads of state of Paraguay and Venezuela, Fernando Lugo and Hugo Chávez, also took part in the celebrations in Managua.[32]

Honecker continued to defend the GDR and identified herself as a Communist and Stalinist. In October 2009, Honecker celebrated the 60th anniversary of the founding of the GDR with former Chilean exiles who had sought asylum in East Germany. She participated in singing a patriotic East German song and gave a short speech in which she stated that East Germans "had a good life in the GDR" and that many felt that capitalism has made their lives worse.[40] In 2011, author Frank Schuhmann published a book entitled Letzte Aufzeichnungen – Für Margot (Final Notes – For Margot in English) based on the 400-page diary kept by Erich Honecker during his stay in Berlin's Moabit prison beginning in July 1992.[41] The diary was given to the author by Margot Honecker.[41]

On 2 April 2012, Honecker gave an interview where she defended the GDR, attacked those who helped to "destroy" it, and complained about her pension.[42] She felt that there was no need for people to climb over the Berlin Wall and lose their lives. She suggested that the GDR was a perfect country and that the demonstrations were driven by the GDR's enemies. "The GDR also had its foes. That's why we had the Stasi," she said.[43]

In a 2012 interview she branded Mikhail Gorbachev a "traitor" for his reforms and called the victims of the East German regime "criminals."[44]
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

05-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Isao Tomita (冨田 勲 Tomita Isao?, 22 April 1932 – 5 May 2016), often known simply as Tomita, was a Japanese music composer, regarded as one of the pioneers of electronic music and space music, and as one of the most famous producers of analog synthesizer arrangements. In addition to creating note-by-note realizations, Tomita made extensive use of the sound design capabilities of his instrument, using synthesizers to create new sounds to accompany and enhance his electronic realizations of acoustic instruments. He also made effective use of analog music sequencers and the Mellotron and featured futuristic science fiction themes, while laying the foundations for synth-pop music and trance-like rhythms. Many of his albums are electronic versions and adaptations of famous classical music pieces and he received four Grammy Award nominations for his 1974 album Snowflakes Are Dancing.

By the late 1960s, Isao turned to electronic music with the impetus of Wendy Carlos and Robert Moog's work with synthesizers. Isao acquired a Moog III synthesizer and began building his home studio. He eventually realized that synthesizers could be used to create entirely new sounds in addition to mimicking other instruments. His first electronic album was Electric Samurai: Switched on Rock, released in Japan in 1972 and in the United States in 1974. The album featured electronic renditions of contemporary rock and pop songs, while utilizing speech synthesis in place of a human voice. He then started arranging Claude Debussy's impressionist pieces for synthesizer and, in 1974, the album Snowflakes are Dancing was released; it became a worldwide success and was responsible for popularizing several aspects of synthesizer programming. The album's contents included ambience, realistic string simulations; an early attempt to synthesize the sound of a symphony orchestra; whistles, and abstract bell-like sounds, as well as a number of processing effects including: reverberation, phase shifting, flanging, and ring modulation. Quadrophonic versions of the album provided a spatial audio effect using four speakers. A particularly significant achievement was its polyphonic sound, created prior to the era of polyphonic synthesizers. Tomita created the album's polyphony as Carlos had done before him, with the use of multitrack recording, recording each voice of a piece one at a time, on a separate tape track, and then mixing the result to stereo or quad. It took 14 months to produce the album. In his early albums, he also made effective use of analog music sequencers, which he used for repeated pitch, filter or effects changes. Tomita's modular human whistle sounds would also be copied in the presets of later electronic instruments. His version of "Arabesque No. 1" was later used as the theme to the astronomy television series Jack Horkheimer: Star Gazer (originally titled Star Hustler) seen on most PBS stations; in Japan, parts of his version of "Rêverie" were used for the opening and closing of Fuji TV's transmissions; in Spain, "Arabesque No. 1" was also used for the intro and the outro for the children TV program "Planeta Imaginario" (imaginary planet).

Following the success of Snowflakes Are Dancing, Tomita released a number of "classically" themed albums, including arrangements of: Igor Stravinsky's The Firebird, Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, and Gustav Holst's The Planets. Holst: The Planets introduced a science fiction "space theme" This album sparked controversy on its release, as Imogen Holst, daughter of Gustav Holst, refused permission for her father's work to be interpreted in this way. The album was withdrawn, and is, consequently, rare in its original vinyl form.

While working on his classical synthesizer albums, Tomita also composed numerous scores for Japanese television and films, including the Zatoichi television series, two Zatoichi feature films, the Oshi Samurai (Mute Samurai) television series and the Toho science fiction disaster film, Catastrophe 1999, The Prophesies of Nostradamus (U.S. title: Last Days of Planet Earth) in 1974. The latter blends synthesizer performances with pop-rock and orchestral instruments. It and a few other partial and complete scores of the period have been released on LP and later CD over the years in Japan. While not bootlegs, at least some of these releases were issued by film and television production companies without Tomita's artistic approval.

pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]
05-08-2016, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2016, 01:01 AM by pbrower2a.)
The obituary thread was interesting. I think that we might well be advised to separate categories here. "Arts", "Theater/TV/radio/stage", "Literature", "Academia", "Journalism", and "Religion" may belong in the "Culture and Values" area in the appropriate threads as needed. Politics? I already have one for foreign officials and hangers-on. We will need one fore Americans. Entrepreneurs and business executives go into business and economics. Maybe I could have recognized Ronald Reagan both as a film star and a politician.

Recently I had a dog mentioned as a hero.

Where would I put a sport star, an animal (let us say a winner of a major sporting event), let alone a high-profile criminal (let us say Charles Manson, who can roast in Hell)?

Or maybe we could go back to the original that begins with Johnny Carson. I have no idea of how to load it. I have my own civics lesson on same-sex marriage, and putting it in was tedious.

re Tomita: His synthesizer performances were often derided by musical purists. Tough. Transcription is a stock of trade of performers and even composers. Such composers as Respighi, Schoenberg, and Busoni transcribed works of J S Bach for their own use. Bach did so himself.

If I had the talent for transcribing music, I would have a very different approach to Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition from that of Isao Tomita. I would attempt to catch the spirit of the organ concertos of Georg Friedrich Handel. It is hard to imagine that a period-instrument orchestra would play such an arrangement... but the organ-like sounds would well serve the Promenades and fade into the chamber-like sonorities reminiscent of a period orchestra of Handel's time, with the organ becoming the star of the climactic Great Gate of Kiev. It would be an anachronism -- but if it works -- who cares?

pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]

Joe Temperley (Lochgelly, Scotland, 20 September 1929 – 11 May 2016) was a Scottish saxophonist. He has performed on various instruments but is most associated with the baritone saxophone and bass clarinet.
He first achieved prominence in the United Kingdom as a member of Humphrey Lyttelton's band from 1958-1965. In 1965, he moved to New York City where he performed and/or recorded with Woody Herman, Buddy Rich, Joe Henderson, Duke Pearson, the Jazz Composer's Orchestra, The Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra and Clark Terry, among many others. In October 1974, he toured and recorded with the Duke Ellington Orchestra as a replacement for Harry Carney.[1]
Temperley played in the Broadway show Sophisticated Ladies in the 1980s, and his film soundtrack credits include Cotton Club, Biloxi Blues, Brighton Beach Memoirs, When Harry Met Sally, and Tune In Tomorrow, composed by Wynton Marsalis.
He was a guest mentor of the Fife Youth Jazz Orchestra also known as FYJO[2] program in Scotland, co-founded by Richard Michael and Dr Colin Thompson, which now enrolls 30 young musicians ages 7–18.
Temperley released several albums as a leader, including Nightingale (1991) with Brian Lemon, Sunbeam and Thundercloud with pianist Dave McKenna (1996), With Every Breath (1998) and Double Duke (1999) with several fellow Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra members. He was an original member of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, and served on the faculty of the Juilliard School for Jazz Studies.[3]
Temperley died in Edinburgh, Scotland on 11 May 2016, aged 86.[4]

[b]Dan '82[/b] [Image: buddy_offline.png]

Quote: Wrote:Guy Charles Clark, the gravel-voiced troubadour who crafted a vast catalog of emotionally charged, intricately detailed works that illuminated and expanded the literary possibilities of popular song, died in Nashville Tuesday morning after a long illness.

Mr. Clark, a Nashville Songwriters Hall of Famer, had been in declining health for years, including a lengthy cancer battle. He was 74 years old, and the author of 13 compelling studio albums...

Email PM Find
Reply Quote Report
[Image: default_avatar.png]
pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]

Huguette Dreyfus, harpsichordist

Huguette Dreyfus began taking piano lessons at the age of four years. In 1946, she began working with renowned piano teacher Lazare Lévy. In 1950, having learned that music historian Norbert Dufourcq was to give special classes on the music of Johann Sebastian Bach (in recognition of the bicentennial of Bach's death) at the Conservatoire de Paris, she entered into the class and remained there for four years. In addition to her piano class, she also studied the harpsichord at the Académie Chigiana de Siena under Ruggero Gerlin, who was a student of harpsichord-reviver Wanda Landowska. In 1958, Dreyfus won the Geneva international harpsichord competition, becoming a prominent figure of ancient Renaissance and Baroque music and of the revival of the harpsichord in France.

Her favorite instrument was a harpsichord from Johann Heinrich Hemsch, a German harpsichord maker. His best instruments were made in Paris in the 18th century and are often comparable to those made by Blanchet, another celebrated harpsichord maker.

Dreyfus taught at the Schola Cantorum, at the Sorbonne in Paris, and at the National Conservatory of Music and Dance of Lyon(CNSMD de Lyon). She taught as well at the International Academy of Organ and old music of Saint-Maxima-la-Sainte-Baume, and at the Villecroze Academie de Musique. In this regard, the quality and the significant number of harpsichordists who identify with her teaching, such as Christophe Rousset, Olivier Baumont, Yannick Le Gaillard, Noëlle Spieth, and Jory Vinikour speaks for itself. She was part of the jury of the International Harpsichord Competition of Paris.

Her numerous concerts, master classes and recordings led her to work with numerous musical personalities: Eduard Melkus, Luciano Sgrizzi, Luigi Ferdinando Tagliavini, Pierre Boulez, Paul Kuentz, Lionel Rogg, Alfred Planyavsky, Jean-Pierre Rampal, and more.

pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]

Jane Little was a musician who played double bass for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra from age 16 until the day she died at age 87. According to Guinness World Records, she held the world record for longest tenure with an orchestra. She made her debut on February 4, 1945. Little set the record on February 1, 2016. The previous record holder was Frances Darger, who played violin for 70 years for the Utah Symphony until his retirement in 2012.
She was married to Warren Little, the principal flutist of the ASO, for 41 years before his death.
Little collapsed on stage while performing There's No Business Like Show Business on May 15, 2016 and died later that day. She was undergoing treatment for myeloma at the time.[1][2][3][4]
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia (Aleksandar Pavlov Karađorđević; 13 August 1924 – 12 May 2016) was the elder son of Prince Paul, who served as Regent of Yugoslavia in the 1930s, and his wife, Princess Olga of Greece and Denmark.
Alexander was born at White Lodge, Richmond Park, United Kingdom, and was approximately 1374th in the Line of succession to the British throne. As a nephew of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent (née of Greece and Denmark), he was a first cousin of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent, and Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy; he was also a first cousin once removed of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
On 12 February 1955, Alexander married Princess Maria Pia of Savoy, daughter of King Umberto II of Italy and of his wife, Princess Marie-José of Belgium.[1] The marriage took place at Cascais in Portugal where the bride's father was living in exile. The couple had met on 22 August 1954 during the royal cruise of the Agamemnon, hosted by King Paul and Queen Frederika of the Hellenes.
Alexander and Maria Pia have twin sons born in 1958, a second pair of twins being born during the marriage five years later: Alexander and Maria Pia divorced in 1967, and in 2003 she married Prince Michel of Bourbon-Parma, himself divorced from Princess Yolande de Broglie-Revel.
On 2 November 1973, Alexander married in a civil ceremony in Paris Princess Barbara of Liechtenstein (b. 9 July 1942), a cousin of Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein and also a first cousin of his consort, Princess Marie.They have one son:
  • Prince Dušan Paul of Yugoslavia (born 25 September 1977)

Alexander was one of the four founding members of the Serbian Unity Congress.[2] He is patron of the Center for Research of Orthodox Monarchism.[3]
On 17 February 2008, Alexander issued a statement condemning the declaration of independence by Kosovo.[4]
[Image: 170px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Aleksandar_Pavlov_...djevic.png]

Alexander's coat of arms
On the occasion of Prince Alexander's 90th birthday on 13 August 2014, a celebration of his life in words and pictures appeared in that month's UK magazine 'Majesty'.
Prince Alexander died on 12 May 2016 in Paris,[5] where he and his wife had lived for many years

[Image: default_avatar.png]
pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]
05-23-2016, 11:38 AM  
Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansoor (Pashto: اختر محمد منصور‎ Akhtar Muḥammad Manṣūr; pronounced /ɑːktɑː mɑːnsjʊər/ or /æktɑː mænsjʊər/; born probably 1968, although possibly 1963 or 1965; also spelled Mansur[7] and Mansour;[8] also, Akhtar Mohammad Mansour Khan Muhammad, and possibly, Naib Imam[9]) was the Emir (leader) of the Taliban, an Islamic fundamentalist political movement in Afghanistan also known as Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (recently adopted name).[10]

On 21 May 2016, it was reported by a United States Department of Defense official that Mansour had been killed in a U.S. drone strike in Pakistan.[11] The official, who was not sanctioned to speak publicly about the attack, said Mansour and a second militant were believed killed when a drone hit a vehicle in which they were riding. The strike was approved by U.S. President Barack Obama who said he hoped Mansour's removal would lead to the Taliban joining a peace process [12][13]. The Afghan government and members of Taliban later confirmed his death.[14]

During 1985 he joined the jihadi war against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and this included, or at sometime also, he joined the Mohammad Nabi Mohammadi group, during the same Soviet–Afghan War. Mohammad Omar was then a commander of one of the groups of Mohammad Nabi Mohammadi. Mansoor participated in the war ( jihad ) against the Russians in Maiwand, Sang-e-Hessar, Zangawat and other parts of the city, and the Pashmul area of the Panjwai district, under the command of Mullah Mohammad Hassan Akhond, apparently commanded by him at least while fighting at the last location. During 1987 he was apparently injured (sustaining 13 separate wounds according to the I.E.A. source), while stationed at Sanzary area of Panjwai district in Kandahar. Known as one of the prominent warriors, Mansoor joined the Maulvi Obaidullah Ishaqzai group in 1987 but later Ishaqzai surrendered to Nur ul-Haq Ulumi, now the interior minister. Soon afterwards, he migrated to Quetta.[5][10]

After the war, Mansoor resumed his religious education in different seminaries and later shifted to Peshawar where he joined Jamia Mohammadia at the Jalozai Refugee camp. He was a student at Darul Uloom Haqqania madrassa, which is where Mohammed Omar also studied. He was apparently a popular student, during his time at the madrassa from 1994 to 1995, located within the Jalozai refugee camp for Afghans near Peshawar, Pakistan, according to Afghan journalist Sami Yousafzai, who met him during that time.[4][5][19]

After the capture of Kandahar airport he was appointed as director general, or otherwise termed, security officer in charge, of the Kandahar airport, a role which encompassed both the air-force and air-defence systems of Kandahar. After the taking of Kabul during the 1996 he was made director of Ariana airlines, and additionally Minister of the Emirate for aviation and tourism, by Mohammed Omar, within the Talebani Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, together with his overseeing the Emirates' air-force and air-defence systems, from his additional appointment as head of these within the ministry of defence. Notably, while minister, Mullah Mansoor organized a 24-hour flights services within Afghanistan, there-by organizing the provision of facilities for muslims to go to Mecca as Hajj via air-flight. During 1996 the Mullah appointed the individual Farid Ahmed to station manager of Ariana airlines.[9][10][21][22][23][24]
During 1997, when the Taliban tried unsuccessfully to capture the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif, Mansoor was captured by an Uzbek warlord. For two months he remained there as a prisoner of war before Mohammed Omar traded him out.[25]
During 1998, the Mullah visited amongst other places within the area, Frankfurt, and Prague of the Czech Republic, for a period of 25 days, as part of his visit to the unofficial envoy to Europe at the time, Mullah Nek Muhammad:[1]
Quote: Wrote:He came to Germany to purchase airport equipment, parts for airliners and military choppers for the Taliban air force
— Mullah Nek Muhammad, as reported by S. Yousafzai
After the conclusion of the hijacking of Indian Airlines Flight 814, Akther Masour is reported, by Anand Arni, a former officer with the Indian organisation Research & Analysis Wing, as being seen embracing Maulana Masood Azhar, the then leader of Jaish-e-Mohammed.[26][27]
In 2001, he surrendered to the Afghan President Hamid Karzai to ask for amnesty. He was forgiven after which he returned to his home district. American forces however refusing to believe he and other senior Taliban commanders had given up fighting, conducted a series of night raids to capture him after which he fled to Pakistan, where he helped to shape the Taliban as an insurgent organisation.[18]
Mullah Mansour was appointed as shadow governor[disambiguation needed] of Kandahar, from sometime after 2001, until May 2007.[21][28][29]

In a previously secret state communication of the U.S. government in 2006, Akhtar Mansoor was listed as the 23rd member of the Taliban (with the late Mohammed Omar as the first member).[30]

The council of the Taliban appointed him as deputy to the newly appointed Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar during 2007, the Indian Express reported Akthar Mansour as appointed to the Taliban's Quetta Shura (council for political and military matters and affairs), sometime during 2007, while within Quetta. One source gives Mansoor as being appointed deputy to Mohammed Omar during 2010; another source states him to have been "by some accounts" the second most senior member of the Taliban behind Mohammed Omar, during 2010. A contradictory report states his appointment occurred during 2013 after Abdul Ghani Baradar, the then deputy, was jailed. A source claims to know of Akther Mansour having a "direct influence" over military units operating within Khost, Paktia and Paktika, at a time after his appointment to the Council of the Taliban.[21][22][26][26][32][33][34]
Wahid Muzhda is quoted as saying, in reference to Akther Mansoor:[34][35]
Quote: Wrote:"in 2013 he convinced other Taliban leaders to open the group's political office in Qatar to initiate negotiations with the West."
a fact which is corroborated by an additional report, which states the office was within Doha, Qatar.[32]
According to a 2014 report, Akther Mansoor, together with Abdul Qayum Zakir and Gul Agha Ishakzai, were stated to be involved in fighting over control of a major opium-producing area (land of Maiwand District) against a co-founder of the Taliban movement, Abdul Ghani Baradar.[36][37]

An article, published 12 March 2015, stated Mullah Mansour and Abdul Qayum Zakir, who were long-term rivals, had met together in order to find an agreement and at the meeting had slaughtered sheep for the purposes of a feast. The article stated Mansour was in favour of initiating so-called talks with Afghani government officials at the time, but was unable to make any progress in his own direction due to Zakir being opposed to the opening of a dialogue with the Afghan government.[38]
According to one report, dated 17 March 2015, Mullah Masoor was at that time deputy amir ul-momenin, military leader and head of the shura of Quetta.[39]

Mansour wrote a letter to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, on behalf of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, released on June 16, 2015, in order to express his concerns of the potential for a negative influence of ISIS upon Afghan Talibans' progress, since ISIS activities might pose a risk of causing "multiplicity" within forces of the jihad of Afghanistan. The letter, appealing to the unity of "religious brotherhood", requests al-Baghdadi might extend "goodwill" to the Taliban, which "doesn't want to see interference in its affairs". The letter was written in the Pashto language, and released within the Voice of Jihad site, including the statement:[28][40][41]
Additionally, the letter shows Mansour considered the late (Sheikhs) Abdullah Azzam and Osama bin Laden, the late Abu Musab al Zarqawi and Ibn al-Khattab, to be heroes. In addition the letter expresses recognition of the support to the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, of "famous religious scholars", of these he provides (Sheikh) Hamud bin Uqla al Shuaybi as an example.[28]
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Tom Mike Apostol (August 20, 1923 – May 8, 2016) was an American analytic number theorist and professor at the California Institute of Technology.
Apostol was born in Helper, Utah. His parents, Emmanouil Apostolopoulos and Efrosini Papathanasopoulos, were Greek immigrants.[1] Mr. Apostolopoulos's name was shortened to Mike Apostol when he obtained his United States citizenship, and Tom Apostol inherited this Americanized surname.[1]
Apostol received his Bachelor of Science in chemical engineering in 1944, Master's degree in mathematics from the University of Washington in 1946, and a PhD in mathematics from the University of California, Berkeley in 1948.[2] Apostol has since been a faculty member at UC Berkeley, MIT, and Caltech. He is the author of several influential graduate and undergraduate level textbooks.
Apostol is the creator and project director for Project MATHEMATICS! producing videos which explore basic topics in high school mathematics. He has helped popularize the visual calculus devised by Mamikon Mnatsakanian with whom he has also written a number of papers, many of which appeared in the American Mathematical Monthly. Apostol also provided academic content for an acclaimed video lecture series on introductory physics, The Mechanical Universe.
In 2001, Apostol was elected in the Academy of Athens.[3] He received a Lester R. Ford Award in 2005,[4][5][6] in 2008,[7] and in 2010.[8] In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.[9]
Apostol died May 8, 2016.[10]

pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]

Karl Maramorosch (January 16, 1915 – May 9, 2016[1]) was an Austrian-born American virologist, entomologist and plant pathologist. A centenarian and polyglot, he conducted research on viruses, mycoplasmas, rickettsiae and other micro-organisms; and their transmission to plants through insect vectors in many parts of the world. He is the co-author of a textbook on techniques in virology and is the author of numerous papers on the biology and ecology of plant viruses, their hosts and vectors. He received the Wolf Prize in Agriculture in 1980 for his contribution to the study of crop pathogens.

Maramorosch was born in Vienna, where his family had escaped to from Soroki during the war. His Polish father was a graduate of the Vienna Agricultural University. His mother was from Croatia and she was a gifted pianist who could speak German, Italian, French, Serbo-Croat and English. Along with his siblings he spoke to his father in Polish and in German with his mother. He grew up in Kolomyja, Poland (now Ukraine) where he attended primary and secondary schools (Gimnazjum Kazimierza Jagiellonczyka) and from age of seven took piano lessons for twelve years, graduating from the Moniuszko Conservatory in Stanislawow (Ivano-Frankivsk) in 1934. He received his Agricultural Engineer degree from the Warsaw Agricultural University (SGGW) in 1938. At age thirteen he became inspired to become a research virologist, hearing about the work of Professor Rudolf Weigl in Lwow (Lviv) from his older brother, who was Weigl’s student at the Medical School. Weigl worked on Rickettsia prowazekii and by inoculating lice and maintaining them on volunteers, he had developed a vaccine against tick typhus.[2]

In 1939, after the Nazi invasion of Poland, Maramorosch and his Warsaw-born wife Irene (née Ludwinowska) fled to Romania, where both were interned in Polish refugee camps for the following four years. After the liberation of Romania by the Soviet army Maramorosch continued his graduate studies at the Bucharest Polytechnic, choosing plant pathology as his major. In 1947 Karl and Irene emigrated to the United States, where Irene became a librarian in the New York Public Library, where she worked for the following 30 years. In 1949 Karl obtained his doctoral degree (Ph.D.) at Columbia University. The same year their daughter, Lydia Ann, was born in New York.[2]

Maramorosch's scientific career began at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden in 1947, followed by twelve years as faculty member at the Rockefeller University in New York. He modified Weigl’s procedure of lice inoculation, adopting it to micro-injection of plant pathogenic viruses and phytoplasmas into leafhopper vectors. This permitted Maramorosch to obtain the first evidence that certain plant pathogens multiply not only in plants but also in specific invertebrate animal vectors.[2]

Since 1956, when Maramorosch first cultured insect cells for use in the study of viruses, he has been an active contributor to the field of invertebrate pathology and to the study of plant and animal viruses, viroids and phytoplasmas. His research in invertebrate tissue cultures have laid a foundation for the growing, diverse and increasingly important uses of invertebrate-based in vitro expression systems. These systems are used in applications that range from basic research to industrial use, and in fields that range from agriculture to medicine, pharmaceutical drug discovery, and mammalian cell gene delivery.[2] The Mitsuhashi-Maramorosch insect culture medium for culturing insect cells is widely used.[3]

In 1960 Maramorosch worked for six months as consultant for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in the Philippines where he studied the devastating cadang-cadang coconut palm disease. From 1961 until 1973, as Program Director of Virology at the Boyce Thompson Institute in Yonkers, New York, he and his postdoctoral associates used electron microscopy to detect and characterize viruses and phytoplasmas in cells of diseased plants and insect vectors. In 1974 Maramorosch accepted the invitation from the Board of Governors of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, to join the faculty at the Waksman Institute of Microbiology as tenured Distinguished Professor. There, in 1983, he was nominated the Robert L. Starkey Professor of Microbiology. In 1980 Maramorosch was awarded the Wolf Prize in Agriculture, often called the Agriculture Nobel Prize, for his work on interactions between insect vectors and plant pathogens. Numerous further awards followed, including the Jurzykowski Foundation Award, the AIBS Award, and two Fulbright awards.[2]

Maramorosch traveled extensively to lecture and teach as visiting professor in Argentina, Armenia, China, Egypt, Germany, India, Israel, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, Netherlands, Nigeria, Poland, Russia, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan and Yugoslavia. His major research interests include comparative virology, invertebrate cell culture, parasitology, emerging diseases caused by viroids, viruses, phytoplasmas and spiroplasmas, biotechnology, and international scientific cooperation.[2]

pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]
05-16-2016, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2016, 11:50 AM by pbrower2a.)
John Imbrie (July 4, 1925–May 13, 2016) was an American paleoceanographer best known for his work on the theory of ice ages. He was the grandson of William Imbrie, an American missionary to Japan.
After serving with the 10th Mountain Division in Italy during World War II, Imbrie earned his bachelor's degree from Princeton University. He then went on to receive a Ph.D. from Yale University in 1951. He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1978 and was the recipient of a MacArthur Fellowship in 1981. He was awarded the Maurice Ewing Medal in 1986 by the AGU and the William H. Twenhofel Medal by the Society for Sedimentary Geology in 1991, the only time the Society has awarded it to a non-member. Imbrie was on the faculty of the Geological Sciences Department at Brown University from 1967,[1] where he held the Henry L. Doherty chair of Oceanography. He later served as Professor Emeritus at Brown.[2]
Imbrie is probably best known as a co-author of the paper in Science in 1976, 'Variations in the Earth's orbit: Pacemaker of the ice ages'.[3] Using ocean sediment cores, the Science paper verified the theories of Milutin Milanković that oscillations in climate over the past few million years are correlated with Earth's orbital variations of eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession around the Sun. These changes are now called the Milankovitch cycles.
John Imbrie was featured in the video documentary The Last Ridge: The Uphill Battles of the 10th Mountain Division.
He died in Providence, Rhode Island, in 2016 at the age of 90.[4]
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Comply Or Die was a British-trained Thoroughbred racehorse, owned by David Johnson. Ridden by Timmy Murphy and trained by David Pipe he was the winner of the £450,640[2] 2008 John Smith's Grand National at Aintree Racecourse, run on Saturday 5 April 2008.[3] It pushed ahead at the last fence[4] to win from the grey King John's Castle .
Bookmakers William Hill conceded that his victory had cost the chain 7 million GBP.[5]
In the John Smith's Grand National on 4 April 2009, Comply Or Die finished 2nd place at odds of 14-1. He carried approximately one extra stone of weight than in his previous Grand National and lost to Mon Mome.
Comply Or Die participated in 2 additional Grand Nationals in the coming two years. He respectively finished 12th in 2010 and was pulled up before 3rd last fence in 2011. After that, Comply Or Die was immediately retired.
Comply or Die was cremated on Monday 9 May 2016 after having died over the weekend.[6] David Pipe stated that Comply or Die had been involved in dressage events since his retirement, and was "greatly saddened to hear of his loss."[6]

pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]

Rabbit Kekai (November 11, 1920 – May 13, 2016) was a professional surfer and one of the original innovators of modern surfing. He was a dominant master of the sport in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, and also a winner of the Peruvian and Makaha International titles.

Albert "Rabbit" Kekai was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1920, and lived with his five siblings and parents near the shore at Waikiki. He got his first taste of surfing at the age of three when his uncle, a lifeguard, taught him how to surf, and by the age of five, Kekai was surfing on his own. As surfing became a bigger part of his life, the boy looked to role models like Duke Kahanamoku, who instructed the ten-year-old Kekai in surfing and outrigger canoeing.

Although surfing was consuming more of his life as he grew older, Kekai managed to concentrate on his school work and excelled academically. He was offered athletic scholarships to attend college, but chose to enter the workforce after high school, and earned a living on and off the beach through numerous odd jobs.

By the mid 1930s, Kekai had risen in the ranks of surfing devotees as he innovated drop-knee bottom turns and hotdogging on shortboards, and surfed on finless boards called "hot curls". He is often mentioned as having been the top hot curl wave rider of his day.[1] At this time he also began surfing on the North Shore, which is still a popular world-class surf spot.

Like most young American men of the time, Kekai served in the military during World War II, and was fortunate to be stationed in Haleiwa on the North Shore for part of his service. Not wanting to let his surfing skills deteriorate, Kekai would surf after finishing his duties for the day. He worked on the Underwater Demolition Teams, or UDTs, that operated in the Pacific Theatre deploying depth charges to destroy Japanese ships and clear the way for American troops to capture the Federated States of Micronesia from Japan. After serving three years, Kekai was discharged from the Navy.

Kekai was one of the founding members of the Waikiki Surf Club and helped it win numerous surfing championships and canoe races; he also won numerous international surfing titles independently. By the 1950s, Kekai made a point of passing on the surfing techniques he had acquired over the years to a younger generation, including Joey Cabell, Donald Takayama, Harold Iggy and countless others. He also catered to celebrities who visited Hawaii on vacation, teaching them the basics of the ancient sport.
Rabbit Kekai was married and a great-grandfather, remaining an avid surfer until his death.
The Rabbit Kekai Keiki Surf Contest was held every year at Waikiki Beach to promote surfing for Hawaii's children (keiki means "child" or "little kid" in the Hawaiian language). Kekai attended the contests and presented the prizes to the winners.
In August 2012, Kekai was inducted into the Surfers' Hall of Fame in Huntington Beach, California.[2]
Kekai died on May 13, 2016 at Leahi Hospital in Honolulu.[3] He was 95.

[Image: 220px-Keiki-surf-contest.jpg]

pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]
05-17-2016, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2016, 10:52 PM by pbrower2a.)
Richard John McAuliffe (November 29, 1939 – May 13, 2016) was an American professional baseball player. He played in Major League Baseball as a shortstop and second baseman for the Detroit Tigers from 1960 to 1973 and for the Boston Red Sox from 1974 to 1975.[1] He was a part of the Tigers' 1968 World Series championship, and was known for his unusual batting stance. A left-handed hitter, he held his hands very high with a stance that faced the pitcher. As the pitcher delivered to home plate, McAuliffe moved his forward (right) foot to a more conventional position for his swing.[2]

Born in Hartford, Connecticut,[3] McAuliffe graduated from Farmington High School in Farmington, Connecticut, where he was coached by Leo Pinsky and won the state championship in 1957.[2] McAuliffe signed with the Detroit Tigers as an amateur free agent out of high school and spent three seasons in the Tigers' farm system.[4] In 1960, he led the Southern League in runs (109), triples (21), and shortstop assists (430) while playing for the Knoxville Smokies in 1960.[2] He was called up to the big leagues at the end of the 1960 season and made his major league debut on September 17, 1960.[5]

In the 1961 and 1962 seasons, McAuliffe shifted between shortstop and second base before replacing Chico Fernandez as the Tigers starting shortstop from 19631966. Known for his wide-open batting stance and leg kick, McAuliffe never hit higher than .264 but was a significant contributor to the Tigers' offensive output in the 1960s. In 1965, he was the American League's starting shortstop in the All Star game, and he went 2-for-3 with a home run and 2 RBIs.[6] In 1966, he finished the season ranked fourth in the league with a .373 on-base percentage and, fifth in the league with a .509 slugging percentage.[7] After making the American League All Star team in 1965 and 1966 at the shortstop position,[8] McAuliffe agreed to move to the second base position in 1967 to make room for Ray Oyler to take over at shortstop. Even with the move, McAuliffe was selected for his third consecutive All Star team in 1967.[9] In 1967, McAuliffe was among the American League leaders in walks with 105 (3rd), 245 times on base (3rd), 7 triples (3rd), 92 runs (5th), 118 strikeouts (5th), 22 home runs (8th), and a .364 on-base percentage (9th).[10]

In the Tigers' 1968 World Championship season, McAuliffe played a key role.[11] He had a .344 on-base percentage, led the American League with 95 runs scored, and showed power with 50 extra base hits.[3][12] He also tied a major league record by going the entire 1968 season without grounding into a double play.[13] McAuliffe also improved defensively in 1968, reducing his error total from 28 in 1967 to nine in 1968 and, finished second among American League second basemen in fielding percentage.[2][14] He finished seventh in the 1968 American League Most Valuable Player Award voting, behind teammates Denny McLain, Bill Freehan, and Willie Horton.[15]
On August 22, 1968, McAuliffe was involved in a brawl with Chicago White Sox pitcher Tommy John.[2][16] After one pitch barely missed McAuliffe's head, and another was thrown behind him, McAuliffe charged the mound, drove his knee into John's shoulder and separated it.[2] John was out for the season, and McAuliffe was suspended for five games.[2] Interviewed 30 years later, McAuliffe was still convinced John was throwing at his head: "The first pitch at me was right at my head, and I mean right at my head. The catcher never laid any leather on it, and it hit the backstop. The next pitch, he spun me down, threw it behind me."[2]

In the 1968 World Series, McAuliffe played all seven games at second base, scored 5 runs, and had 6 hits, 4 walks, 3 RBIs, and a home run.[17] His steadying influence in the middle infield helped make it possible for manager Mayo Smith to take the radical step of playing center fielder Mickey Stanley at shortstop in the World Series in order to get a better bat in the lineup against the St. Louis Cardinals, led by Bob Gibson.[18][19]

McAuliffe continued as the Tigers' starting second baseman through the 1973 season. In October 1973, the Tigers traded him to the Boston Red Sox for Ben Oglivie.[20] McAuliffe hit only .210 in 100 games for the Red Sox in 1974.[3] He began 1975 as the manager of Boston's Double-A farm team, the Bristol Red Sox, located in McAuliffe's native state of Connecticut.[21] He guided Bristol into first place in the Eastern League, but was recalled to Boston in August to resume his playing career as a utility infielder. However, McAuliffe was released after playing only seven more games. His career ended on September 1, 1975, in a Yankees-Red Sox game. McAuliffe dropped an easy popup for an error.[2] Later in the inning, McAuliffe's throw pulled Carl Yastrzemski off the bag.[2] Though it was scored a single, the Boston fans booed McAuliffe. McAuliffe was left off Boston's post-season roster, and his major league career was over.[2]

McAuliffe was among the American League leaders in triples eight times, and his ability to draw walks also increased his offensive output, ending his career with a .343 on-base percentage.[3]

After retiring from baseball, McAuliffe owned a business that repaired and installed coin-operated washers and driers for ten years, and also ran baseball schools.[2] Bill James ranked McAuliffe 22nd all-time among second baseman in his Historical Baseball Abstract.[2][22]
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

William Joseph Schallert[1] (July 6, 1922 – May 8, 2016) was an American character actor who appeared in many films and in such television series as Perry Mason; The Smurfs; Jefferson Drum; Philip Marlowe; The Rat Patrol; Gunsmoke; Star Trek; The Patty Duke Show; 87th Precinct; The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis; The Waltons; Hawaii Five-O, Quincy, M.E.; The Partridge Family; Bonanza; Wanted: Dead or Alive; Leave It to Beaver; The Dick Van Dyke Show; Love, American Style; Get Smart; Lawman; Combat!; The Wild Wild West; and in later years, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine; Medium and True Blood.

As with many other character actors with long careers, Schallert's face was more recognizable than his name.[2]

William "Bill" Schallert was born in Los Angeles, California, the son of Edwin Francis Schallert, a longtime drama critic for the Los Angeles Times, and Elza Emily Schallert (née Baumgarten), a magazine writer and radio host.[1] He began acting while a student at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles and, in 1946, helped found the Circle Theatre with Sydney Chaplin and several fellow students. In 1948, Schallert was directed by Sydney's father, Charlie Chaplin, in a staging of Somerset Maugham's Rain.[3]

Schallert appeared in supporting roles on numerous television programs since the early 1950s, including four episodes (and three different characters) in Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theatre between 1958 and 1961. He was in Gunsmoke (season 3, episode 16 "Twelfth Night") in 1957 and (season 4, episode 16 "Gypsum Hills Feud") in 1958 and The Partridge Family, as a very humble folk-singing guitar player with "Stage Fright", in 1971. He appeared three times as Major Karl Richmond on NBC's Steve Canyon, starring Dean Fredericks in the title role.
Schallert also appeared in several movies. One of his early cinematic roles was a brief uncredited performance as a police detective in The Reckless Moment (1949) with Joan Bennett and James Mason. He had roles in The Man from Planet X (1951) with Robert Clarke, The Tarnished Angels (1958) with Robert Stack, Blue Denim (1959) with Brandon deWilde, Pillow Talk (1959) with Doris Day and Rock Hudson, Speedway (1968) with Elvis Presley, The Jerk (1979) with Steve Martin, Teachers (1984) with Nick Nolte, and Innerspace (1987), in which he played Martin Short's doctor. Schallert also played (uncredited) an ambulance attendant in the early minutes of the 1950s sci-fi classic, Them! (1954). He was a founding member of the Circle Players at The Circle Theatre, started in 1946, now known as El centro theatre.

Schallert starred in Philbert, an innovative 1964 TV pilot for ABC, which combined live action camera work and animation. Created by Warner Brothers animator Friz Freleng and directed by Richard Donner, ABC backed out of the series shortly before full production was to begin, though the completed pilot was released in theaters by Warner Brothers as a short subject.
Schallert was probably best known as Martin Lane on The Patty Duke Show. He also appeared as a wise teacher, Mr. Leander Pomfritt, on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, and as The Admiral on Get Smart. On the two former shows he worked opposite actress Jean Byron. Schallert made three guest appearances on CBS's Perry Mason between 1957–1962, including the role of Donald Graves in the series' fifth episode, "The Case of the Sulky Girl", and Dr. Bradbury in the 1961 episode, "The Case of the Misguided Missile". He played the role of Nilz Baris in the Star Trek episode "The Trouble With Tribbles", and much later in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Sanctuary", in which he played Varani, a Bajoran musician.
Schallert played the role of Carson Drew in the television series The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries (1977–1979), featuring Pamela Sue Martin as Nancy Drew.

In addition to his onscreen performances, Schallert did voiceover work for numerous television and radio commercials over the years. Among these were a recurring role as "Milton the Toaster" in animated commercials for Kellogg's Pop-Tarts.[4]
Schallert had the rare distinction of appearing in both the original movie version of In the Heat of the Night (1967) and the later NBC TV version in 1992. In 2004, TV Guide recognized Schallert's portrayal of Martin Lane on The Patty Duke Show as No. 39 on its list of "50 Greatest TV Dads."[5]

Schallert served as president of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) from 1979 to 1981, and afterwards remained active in SAG projects, including serving as a Trustee of the SAG Pension and Health Plans since 1983, and of the Motion Picture and Television Fund since 1977. (His former co-star and television daughter, Patty Duke, also served as SAG president from 1985 to 1988.) During Schallert's tenure as SAG President, he founded the Committee for Performers with Disabilities, and in 1993, he was awarded the Ralph Morgan Award for service to the Guild.

Schallert continued to work steadily as an actor in later life, appearing in a 2008 episode of How I Met Your Mother, the HBO television movie Recount (2008) as U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice John Paul Stevens, the HBO series True Blood and his distinctive voice continues to bring him work for commercial and animation voiceovers. 2009 appearances included a guest role on Desperate Housewives on March 15, 2009, in which he played the role of a small newspaper editor, and he also appeared in an episode of According to Jim. More recently, he appeared in the January 21, 2010 pilot episode of The Deep End on ABC as a retiring CEO with Alzheimer's Disease. He also made an appearance on Medium on the February 5, 2010 episode and a cameo on the June 26, 2011 season premiere of True Blood as the Mayor of Bon Temps. He played Max Devore, a secondary antagonist, in the A&E adaptation of Bag of Bones.

In 2010, Schallert made a series of Public Service Announcement videos with Patty Duke and other castmates from The Patty Duke Show for the Social Security Administration, which can be found at[6] His last television appearance came in 2014 on an episode of the sitcom 2 Broke Girls.

pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]
Senior Member

Comic actor Alan Young, best known as the sole person who could hear a talking horse (Mr. Ed)

Young had his own comedy radio series on Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. In 1944, he moved to American radio with The Alan Young Show, NBC's summer replacement for Eddie Cantor's show. He switched to ABC two years later, then returned to NBC.
Young's film debut was Margie (1946), and he was featured in Chicken Every Sunday (1949).[3]
In 1950, the television version of The Alan Young Show began. By 1951, the series had garnered not only praise but also several Primetime Emmy awards, including "Outstanding Lead Actor" for Alan Young.[4]
After its cancellation, Young continued acting in films, among which Androcles and the Lion (1952) and Gentlemen Marry Brunettes (1955), and two George Pal films, tom thumb (1958) and The Time Machine (1960).
He is best known, however, for Mister Ed (1961–66), a CBS television show, in which he starred as Wilbur Post, the owner of Mr. Ed, a talking horse that would talk to no one but him, thus causing hilarious situations for Wilbur Post with his wife, neighbours and acquaintances.
He also starred as Stanley Beamish in the unaired 1966 pilot episode of Mr. Terrific, but apparently declined to appear in the broadcast series in 1967 that followed.
He appeared in the episode "Thin Ice" of the NBC espionage drama Five Fingers, starring David Hedison. Young's television guest roles include Gibbsville, The Love Boat, Murder, She Wrote, St. Elsewhere, Coach, Party of Five, The Wayans Bros., USA High, Hang Time, ER, Maybe It's Me and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch where he played Zelda's love interest in the episode "Sweet Charity".
In the late 1960s, he retired from acting for several years. During that time, he founded a broadcast division for the Christian Science Church.
After 1974, he voiced Scrooge McDuck in numerous Disney films and in the popular series DuckTales (1987-1990). In Mickey's Christmas Carol, he portrayed the character's miserly namesake. He also played Scrooge in video games such as the Kingdom Hearts series, DuckTales: Remastered in 2013, and the Mickey Mouse cartoon "Goofy's First Love" released in 2015.
During the 1980s, Young became active in voice acting. Apart from Scrooge McDuck, his other prominent roles were Farmer Smurf on The Smurfs, 7-Zark-7 and Keyop in Battle of the Planets and Hiram Flaversham in The Great Mouse Detective. He also guest starred on The Incredible Hulk, The New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.
In 1991, Alan Young returned to the stage, starring as Cap'n Andy Hawkes in The California Music Theatre's adaptation of Show Boat. He had been called for the role after Van Johnson, who was initially cast in the part, was hospitalised.[5] He had also appeared in the plays A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and The Girl With the Freudian Slip.
In 1993, he recreated his role as Filby for the mini-sequel to George Pal's The Time Machine, reuniting him with Rod Taylor, who had played George, the Time Traveller. It was called Time Machine: The Journey Back, directed by Clyde Lucas. In 2002, he had a cameo as the flower store worker in Simon Wells' remake of The Time Machine and in 2010, he read H.G. Wells's original novel for 7th Voyage Productions, Inc.
In 1994, Young co-starred in the Eddie Murphy film Beverly Hills Cop III. He played the role of Uncle Dave Thornton, the Walt Disney-esque founder of the fictional California theme park Wonderworld, and in that same year, Young played the role of Charlie in the television movie, Hart to Hart: Home Is Where the Hart Is.
After 1994, he played at least eight characters, most notably antique dealer Jack Allen on the popular radio drama Adventures in Odyssey. In 1997, he did the voice of Haggis McMutton in the PC game The Curse of Monkey Island. His later guest roles in animated series included Megas XLR, Static Shock, House of Mouse, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Duckman, Batman: The Animated Series and TaleSpin.[6]

pbrower2a [Image: buddy_online.png]

Nancy Dow, an actress, former model, and the mother of actress Jennifer Aniston, died May 25 in Los Angeles, according to multiple news sources. She was 79.

'It is with great sadness that my brother John and I announce the passing of our Mother Nancy Dow,' Aniston told People magazine in a statement Wednesday. Aniston added that her mother died “peacefully surrounded by family and friends after enduring a long illness.”

Dow, a former model, appeared on 1960s television shows including “The Beverly Hillbillies” and “The Wild Wild West.” She also appeared in two films, “The Ice House” (1969) and “Pure” (2004).

Dow had a health setback in 2011, when she had a series of strokes. She was hospitalized May 23 and died two days later.

Dow was born July 22, 1936, in Connecticut. She married twice, and both unions ended in divorce. She married musician John Melick in 1956, and they divorced in 1961. They had a son, John Melick.

In 1965, Dow married actor John Aniston; they divorced in 1980. Jennifer Aniston, their daughter, played Rachel Green on the hit TV sitcom “Friends,” which aired from 1994 to 2004.

Dow and her daughter were estranged after Dow wrote a book about their relationship, “From Mother and Daughter to Friends: A Memoir” (1999). The two reconciled several years later. - See more at:
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Mark Lane (February 24, 1927 – May 10, 2016) was an American attorney and former New York state legislator, civil rights activist, and Vietnam war-crimes investigator. He is best known as a leading researcher, author, and conspiracy theorist[2] on the assassination of US President John F. Kennedy. From his 1966 number-one bestselling critique of the Warren Commission, Rush to Judgment,[3] to Last Word: My Indictment of the CIA in the Murder of JFK, published in 2011, Lane wrote at least four major works on the JFK assassination and no fewer than ten books overall.

Much more here:
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Morley Safer was born to an Austrian-Jewish family in Toronto, Ontario, the son of Anna (née Cohn) and Max Safer, an upholsterer.[3] He attended Harbord Collegiate Institute and Bloor Collegiate, Clinton Street Public school located at 460 Manning Ave, Toronto, Ontario,[4] and briefly attended University of Western Ontario.[5]
Safer began his
journalism career as a reporter for various newspapers in Canada (Woodstock Sentinel-Review, London Free Press, and Toronto Telegram) and England (Reuters and Oxford Mail). Later, he joined the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation as a correspondent and producer.

In 1964 Safer joined CBS News as a London-based correspondent. In 1965, he opened the CBS News bureau in Saigon. That year he followed a group of United States Marines to the village of Cam Ne, for what was described as a "search and destroy" mission. When the Marines arrived, they gave orders in English to the inhabitants to evacuate the village. When the homes were cleared, the Marines burned their thatched roofs with flamethrowers and Zippo lighters. Safer's report on this event was broadcast on CBS News on August 5, 1965, and was among the first reports to paint a bleak picture of the Vietnam War. President Lyndon Baines Johnson reacted to this report angrily, calling CBS's president and accusing Safer and his colleagues of having "shat on the American flag." Certain that Safer was a communist, Johnson also ordered a security check; upon being told that Safer "wasn't a communist, just a Canadian", he responded: "Well, I knew he wasn't an American."[6]

In 1967 Safer was named the London bureau chief, a post he held for three years. Safer was also a CBS reporter during the [url=]Nigerian Civil War.[7] In 1970, he left London to replace Harry Reasoner on 60 Minutes, after Reasoner left to anchor the ABC Evening News (although Reasoner would return to 60 Minutes in 1978, alongside Safer). Safer would go on to set the record for the show's longest-serving correspondent, retiring in 2016 after 46 years.

Safer was also the author of the bestselling book, Flashbacks: On Returning to Vietnam. It describes his 1989 return to Vietnam and features his interviews with known and less-well-known Vietnamese people, most of them veterans of the war. These included general Vo Nguyen Giap, Duong Quynh Hoa, Pham Xuan An, major Nguyen Be, and others. He also visited the Caravelle Hotel, the Marble Mountains (Vietnam) & air field, China Beach, Huế, Quảng Trị City, a Cham museum, an old wrecking yard full of American artifacts, and several other locations. The book also contains reflections on Bill Moyers (regarding the Cam Ne affair), Barry Goldwater, and General William Westmoreland.[8] His trip was the basis of a 60 Minutes show in 1989, which Safer said got a reaction of annoyance from some veterans, and a positive reaction from others.[9]

He and his wife, Jane Fearer, lived in New York City. They had a daughter, Sarah Alice Anne Safer, who is a 1992 graduate of Brown University[10] and freelance journalist. Safer maintains dual (Canadian/American) citizenship.[11]

Safer died on May 19, 2016, just one week after announcing his retirement from 60 Minutes after 46 seasons with the show.[12] CBS aired a special 60 Minutes episode covering Safer's 61-year news journalism career immediately after the regular May 15, 2016, show.[2]
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

FAWCETT, Jane Carolin (née Hughes) on 21st May 2016, aged 95, died peacefully at home surrounded by her family. Wife of Edward Fawcett (decd). Veteran of Bletchley Park, Secretary of the Victorian Society, founder Diploma of Conservation Arch. Assn., worked with ICOMOS and Dales National Park. MBE, Hon FRIBA. Private family funeral, memorial service to follow.

Bletchley Park was where the British decoded the military and diplomatic communications of Nazi Germany, to devastating effect upon the German Navy in WWII.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Yang Jiang (simplified Chinese: 杨绛; traditional Chinese: 楊絳; pinyin: Yáng Jiàng; 17 July 1911 – 25 May 2016), born Yang Jikang (simplified Chinese: 杨季康; traditional Chinese: 楊季康; pinyin: Yáng Jìkāng), was a Chinese playwright, author and translator. She wrote several successful comedies, and was the first Chinese person to produce a complete Chinese version of Miguel de Cervantes Spanish novel, Don Quixote.[1]

Born in Beijing,[2] she grew up in the south of China. After graduating from Soochow University in 1932, Yang Jiang enrolled in the graduate school of Tsinghua University where she met her husband Qian Zhongshu. During 1935–1938, they went abroad to England for further study at Oxford University and the University of London. At that time, she gave birth to their daughter Qian Yuan (錢瑗). They later studied at Pantheon-Sorbonne University in Paris, France.[2]

They returned to China in 1938.[2] Living in Shanghai, she wrote plays in the "anti-romantic" style: As You Wish (1944), Taking True for False (1945) and Quilts in the Wind (1947). After 1949, she taught at the Tsinghua University and made a scholarly study of western literature at Peking University and the Academy of Science. She published this work in 1979 in a compendium: Spring Mud. Both Yang and Qian went into academics and made important contributions to the development of Chinese literary culture.[3]

She also translated European works into Chinese: Lazarillo de Tormes (1951), Gil Blas (1956) and Don Quixote (1978).[4] Her Chinese translation of Don Quixote is, as of 2016, still considered the definitive version.[5] She was also awarded the Civil Order of Alfonso X, the Wise for this by King Juan Carlos in October 1986.[6] Her sister Yang Bi (楊必) (1922–1968) was also a translator.

Her experience in a "training school" in Henan from 1969 to 1972, where she was "sent down" with her husband during the Cultural Revolution, inspired her to write Six Chapters from My Life 'Downunder' (1981).[7] This is the book that made her name as a writer.[8][9] In connection with this memoir, she also wrote Soon to Have Tea (將飲茶), which was published in 1983.[10]

In 1988, she published her only novel Baptism (洗澡), which was always connected with Fortress Besieged (圍城), a masterpiece of her husband.[11] Her 2003 memoir We Three (我們仨), recalled memories of her husband and her daughter Qian Yuan, who died of cancer one year before her father's death in 1998. At the age of 96, she published Reaching the Brink of Life (走到人生邊上), a philosophic work whose title in Chinese clearly alludes to her late husband's collection of essays Marginalia to Life (寫在人生邊上).[2]

She turned 100 in July 2011.[12] On 25 May 2016, Yang died at the age of 104 at Peking Union Medical College Hospital in Beijing.[5]

The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Bryce Alexander Dejean-Jones (August 21, 1992 – May 28, 2016) was an American professional basketball player. He played college basketball for Iowa State University after stints with USC and UNLV, and played professionally for the New Orleans Pelicans of the National Basketball Association (NBA).

Dejean-Jones began his college career with USC, appearing in 18 of 34 games as a freshman and starting in each of the Trojans' first 10 games. In 20.6 minutes per game, he averaged 7.6 points, 2.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.1 steals per game while shooting 37.9 percent from the field and 34.5 percent from three-point range, scoring in double figures seven times, including a career-high 21 points against New Mexico State.[1]
After his freshman season, Dejean-Jones transferred to UNLV, redshirting as a sophomore. As a redshirted sophomore in 2012–13, he was named the Mountain West Preseason Co-Newcomer of the Year prior to the start of the season, going on to appear in all 35 games, starting 29. He was third in scoring for the Runnin' Rebels with 10.3 points per game, third in steals and assists with 0.9 and 2.3 per game respectively, and fourth in rebounds with 4.4 rebounds per game, leading his the team in scoring five times and in rebounding twice. He made his debut on November 12, 2012, scoring 15 points, including hitting 3-of-4 three-pointers, in a win over Northern Arizona which was the first of 18 total games of scoring in double figures. He also dished out a career-high six assists in three different games, and exploded for a career-high 22 points on 7-of-11 shooting in a 76–75 win over California to help UNLV earn its best non-conference road win of the season. On February 9, 2014, he grabbed a career-high nine rebounds in a home win over New Mexico and made a career-high five three-pointers as part of a team-leading 19-point effort in the MW Tournament's Championship game on March 16, also against the Lobos. Five days later, he made his NCAA Tournament debut against Cal, scoring a team-high 15 points in a 64–61 loss.[1]
In 2014, Dejean-Jones transferred to Iowa State to play under coach Fred Hoiberg. Dejean-Jones played in 33 games during the 2014–15 season, starting 21, averaging 10.5 points, 4.7 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.1 steals, while shooting a career-best 47.6 percent from the field. He scored in double figures 17 times and earned National Player of the Week honors after scoring a season-high 27 points in ISU's win against nationally-ranked Arkansas. In that game, he was 8-for-8 from the field, becoming just the fifth player in school history with at least eight field goal attempts in a game without a miss. In his Cyclone debut, he recorded his first career double-double, finishing with 20 points and 11 rebounds against Oakland, and just missed a triple-double against Lamar, scoring 12 points to go along with 10 rebounds and a career-high eight assists. With this efforts, he helped the Cyclones win the 2015 Big 12 Tournament.[2]

Idaho Stampede (2015–2016)
After going undrafted in the 2015 NBA draft, Dejean-Jones joined the New Orleans Pelicans for the 2015 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, averaging 12.8 points in six games.[3] On August 20, 2015, he signed with the Pelicans,[3] but was later waived by the team on October 24 after appearing in seven preseason games.[4] On December 13, he was acquired by the Idaho Stampede of the NBA Development League.[5] He made his professional debut on December 19 in a 117–107 win over the Santa Cruz Warriors, recording 15 points, three rebounds, four assists and one steal in 21 minutes of action.[6]

New Orleans Pelicans (2016)

On January 21, 2016, Dejean-Jones signed a 10-day contract with the Pelicans.[7] On January 28, in his fourth game for the team, Dejean-Jones started at shooting guard in place of the injured Tyreke Evans. In 34 minutes of action, he recorded 14 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 1 block, helping the Pelicans defeat the Sacramento Kings 114–105.[8] On February 1, he signed a second 10-day contract,[9] and continued to start for the Pelicans due to Evans' injury. On February 4, he had a career-best game with 17 points and 9 rebounds in a 99–96 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers.[10] On February 19, he signed a three-year deal with the Pelicans.[11][12] A week later, he was ruled out for the rest of the season after undergoing successful surgery to repair a right wrist fracture.[13]
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Ah, the wonderful effects of our gun fetish. Sounds like a resident thought Dejean-Jones was an intruder. Tragic effect of our gun culture.

from wikipedia link:

On May 28, 2016, Dejean-Jones died when he was shot after breaking into a Knox Park, Dallas apartment. He was visiting his former girlfriend who lived on the floor above, for their child's first birthday. At 3:20 a.m., the resident of the apartment, who had been sleeping, retrieved a handgun and fired when Dejean-Jones began kicking at the bedroom door. Dejean-Jones, 23, was pronounced dead at the hospital of a gunshot wound to the abdomen.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-29-2016, 08:58 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Ah, the wonderful effects of our gun fetish. Sounds like a resident thought Dejean-Jones was an intruder. Tragic effect of our gun culture.

from wikipedia link:

On May 28, 2016, Dejean-Jones died when he was shot after breaking into a Knox Park, Dallas apartment. He was visiting his former girlfriend who lived on the floor above, for their child's first birthday. At 3:20 a.m., the resident of the apartment, who had been sleeping, retrieved a handgun and fired when Dejean-Jones began kicking at the bedroom door. Dejean-Jones, 23, was pronounced dead at the hospital of a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

For a real defense against burglars, a dog is far safer than a firearm to all concerned except the burglar. Dogs don't attack the wrong person in such a situation. They can't be turned against its loved ones. They have keen senses, and they can attack in dim light. But what of the burglar? He's facing a cat of like size due to the dog's power, speed, agility, strength, ferocity, and aggression. Dog bites are painful even if not fatal... of course a neck bite by a dog can kill.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-29-2016, 08:58 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: On May 28, 2016, Dejean-Jones died when he was shot after breaking into a Knox Park, Dallas apartment. He was visiting his former girlfriend who lived on the floor above, for their child's first birthday. At 3:20 a.m., the resident of the apartment, who had been sleeping, retrieved a handgun and fired when Dejean-Jones began kicking at the bedroom door. Dejean-Jones, 23, was pronounced dead at the hospital of a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

More like he died from terminal stupidity.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
Janice Wendell Bethany "Jan" Crouch (March 14, 1938 – May 31, 2016) was an American religious broadcaster who, with her husband Paul, co-founded the Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN).

Crouch was the daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Edgar W. Bethany, and grew up in Columbus, Georgia. Her father served as a pastor in the Assemblies of God denomination, and was the founding president of Southeastern University (Florida). While attending Evangel College in Springfield, Missouri, Crouch met Paul F. Crouch. They married in 1957, and have two sons, Paul Jr. and Matthew, both of whom are high-ranking officials and program hosts on TBN.

In 1973, Paul and Jan Crouch, co-founded with Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, The Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN). In 1974, TBN purchased its first TV station, KLXA-TV (channel 40, now KTBN-TV) in Southern California, and began distribution through cable systems in 1978. Under the Crouch family, TBN grew to become the United States' largest Christian television network, offering 24-hour commercial-free programming,[1][2] and TBN is currently third largest over-the-air Station Group in the United States, with CBS, Fox, and NBC holding the 4th, 5th and 6th place, according to TV News Check's annual listing of the Top 30 Station Groups.[3] TBN owns and operates 5 independent TV networks, each of which adheres to a faith-based message, but reaching separate demographics. TBN networks include TBN itself, JUCE TV, TBN Enlace, Smile of a Child, and The Church Channel.

Since its founding, Crouch served as TBN's vice president and director of network programming, as well as the director of programming for TBN's affiliated networks, such as the Smile of a Child children's channel,[4] the JUCE TV youth network,[5] The Church Channel,[6] the TBN Enlace USA Spanish language network,[7] and others. She was also the President and manager of The Holy Land Experience theme park in Orlando, Florida.[8][9]

In March 2012, Crouch was accused, by her granddaughter, a former employee and chief finance director of the network (a registered charity) of misappropriating network funds to spend on a lavish lifestyle. Expenditures included expensive homes, private jets, massive custom wigs, and a $100,000 air conditioned mobile home solely for her dogs.[11] The New York Times wrote that Crouch, for nearly two years, rented adjoining rooms for herself and her two Maltese dogs, at the deluxe Loews Portofino Bay Hotel while she was building the Holy Land Experience theme park in Orlando, Florida.[12]
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-29-2016, 08:58 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Ah, the wonderful effects of our gun fetish. Sounds like a resident thought Dejean-Jones was an intruder. Tragic effect of our gun culture.

from wikipedia link:

On May 28, 2016, Dejean-Jones died when he was shot after breaking into a Knox Park, Dallas apartment. He was visiting his former girlfriend who lived on the floor above, for their child's first birthday. At 3:20 a.m., the resident of the apartment, who had been sleeping, retrieved a handgun and fired when Dejean-Jones began kicking at the bedroom door. Dejean-Jones, 23, was pronounced dead at the hospital of a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

So glad I am not an American.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Tambo and Mandela lawyer Jules Browde dies‚ aged 98

In the course of a career stretching over more than half a century‚ Browde acted for Nelson Mandela and Oliver Tambo‚ as well as a number of other anti-apartheid activists‚ and was a founder member of Lawyers for Human Rights.

The South African Jewish Board of Deputies said in a statement his Jewish communal involvement included serving for 25 years as national president of the Habonim youth movement.

Jules Browde was born in Johannesburg in 1919. After obtaining a BA from Wits University‚ he enlisted in the Union Defence Force in the early months of World War II. After the war‚ he continued his studies at Wits‚ where he first met Mandela‚ a fellow law student.

"The two men established a warm and enduring friendship‚ one interrupted by Mandela’s 27 years of imprisonment but renewed shortly after his release."

In 1996‚ Mandela’s appointed Browde to investigate irregularities in the appointment of certain public servants posts during the transition to democracy period.

In 1969‚ Browde was appointed as a Senior Counsel. He went on to serve as an acting Judge in South Africa‚ as well as a judge on the Appeal Courts of Swaziland and Lesotho. In July 2008‚ he received the Sydney and Felicia Kentridge Award for Service to Law in Southern Africa. Both he and his wife received the Helen Suzman Lifetime Achievement Award by the SA Jewish Report in 2011.

Browde was married for over 60 years to Professor Selma Browde‚ who has also achieved considerable eminence‚ in her profession as a senior Radiation Oncologist at the University of the Witwatersrand and Johannesburg group of hospitals.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

PARMA (Michigan) - Earle Harold Munn, Jr., 87, of Parma, MI, passed away Tuesday, April 26 of complications from pancreatic cancer.

He was the son of Earle Harold and Luella Mae (Asfahl) Munn. Born Sept 7, 1928, in Vandalia, IL... (living family members deleted in defense of their privacy)

Hal received his Federal Communications Commission (FCC) radio license at age 14 and in 1947 at age 17 became a lifetime member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), the world's largest professional organization of any scientific profession. The following year he graduated from Hillsdale College, Hillsdale, MI, with a degree in physics plus many credits in chemistry and mathematics.

He taught high school for one year in North Adams and one year at Pittsford before starting WTVB-WANG radio stations in Coldwater. Other stations he established and owned include Ypsilanti (WYSI), Hillsdale (WBSE), and Sturgis (WSTR).

In addition to radio, he was a pioneer in broadband communications, received one of the three first cable TV permits awarded by the FCC, and started many cable companies including Coldwater and Columbia Cablevision. In 1950, Hal established the E. Harold Munn, Jr., and Associates broadcast engineering consulting firm in Coldwater and in that capacity built or consulted with about 800 radio stations in all 50 states and on nearly 70 colleges and university campuses.

Two notable stations include Bell Broadcasting Corporation in Detroit, the first FCC-approved African American-owned radio station in the United States providing a foundation for the Motown music industry, and a 50,000 watt AM station in Hawaii for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association that broadcast a Christian witness to 20,000 Polynesian islands and literally around the world. In 2005, Hal was inducted into the Michigan Broadcasting Hall of Fame.

He served as a trustee and in many administrative capacities with the following organizations: Coldwater Board of Public Utilities from 1960-1995 and president of that board beginning in 1967; from 1960-2015 on the board of the Blue Ridge Broadcasting Corporation, a listener-supported ministry of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association; from 1960-2010 as a trustee of Spring Arbor University; and from 1983-2015 as a trustee of Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY.

Since childhood, Hal was a member of the Free Methodist Church and served that denomination in many volunteer administrative capacities from 1950-2015.

A memorial service will be at Spring Arbor Free Methodist Church Tuesday, May 31, at 11 a.m. Memorial gifts may be made to Spring Arbor University.

Watson Funeral Chapel will host a family visitation Memorial Day, May 30, from 4 to 8 p.m. And Tuesday at the church from 10 a.m. until the time of service.

Published in The Daily Reporter on May 27, 2016 - See more at:

...Owned the radio station for which my mother had a job as a real-live broadcaster before she had me as a child.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Antonio Imbert Barrera (December 3, 1920 – May 31, 2016) was a two-star army general of the Dominican Army who tenured as President of the Dominican Republic in 1965.

Imbert, the only survivor among the killers of Dictator Rafael Trujillo in 1961, was one of the two rival rulers in the Dominican Republic from May 7, 1965 until August 30, 1965, amid the Dominican Civil War. He had succeeded General Pedro B. Benoit van der Horst who ruled for less than a week. After the civil war ended, both General Imbert and his rival Colonel Francisco Caamaño resigned and Héctor García-Godoy was sworn as interim president. (See List of Presidents of the Dominican Republic).

Imbert Barrera's first significant position was as governor of Puerto Plata in 1940. He was removed from the post by the dictator Rafael Trujillo for sending him a telegram informing upon the names of the survivors of the failed Luperón invasion (de). This caused, in a personal manner, the beginning of the murder plan against Trujillo.

On May 30, 1961 Trujillo was shot dead when his car was ambushed on a road outside the Dominican capital.[1] Imbert, accompanied by Antonio de la Maza, Salvador Estrella Sahdalá and Lt. Amado García Guerrero. who was the driver of the ambushing vehicle, were the active participants who carried out the plot. Most of those involved in the assassination plot were subsequently captured and executed, with the exception of Imbert and Luis Amiama Tió. Imbert went into hiding until December 2.[2]

As a result, Imbert was declared a "National Hero", and was awarded the general grade Advitam. In the Civil War in the Dominican Republic of 1965 he led one of the factions in the struggle which faced the constitutionalist government led by Colonel Francisco Caamaño, who tried to bring back Juan Bosch to the country's presidency. Imbert's faction, called the Government of National Reconstruction was endorsed by the U.S. troops inspectors, in addition, he was one of the collaborators with the Americans, finally signing a peace act that put an end to the April war.

On March 21, 1967, he was shot in Santo Domingo while traveling with Marino García.[3] The attempted assassination was made by the late dictator Trujillo's supporters. He survived by driving himself to a medical clinic. Imbert Barrera died on May 31, 2016 at the age of 95.[4]
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Apparently Muhammed Ali is on life support fighting for his life. Doctors say they fear the end is near. Here is the source.

Boxing legend Muhammad Ali has been taken into intensive care and is now fighting for his life according to reports.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.


Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)