Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In What Turning do Neighborhood Communities come back?
With neighbors being close and knowing one another? It seems almost dead in the 4T based on what many people say.
(05-03-2020, 02:11 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: With neighbors being close and knowing one another? It seems almost dead in the 4T based on what many people say.

The concept of neighbors knowing one another faded out first with the advent of television in the last 1T and accelerated in the 2T when home air conditioning became the norm and many chose to remain indoors on warm evenings.  The trend then was called into question late 2T and into 3T as a cause of more people getting involved in drugs and assorted mayhem.
(05-03-2020, 06:46 AM)beechnut79 Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 02:11 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: With neighbors being close and knowing one another? It seems almost dead in the 4T based on what many people say.

The concept of neighbors knowing one another faded out first with the advent of television in the last 1T and accelerated in the 2T when home air conditioning became the norm and many chose to remain indoors on warm evenings.  The trend then was called into question late 2T and into 3T as a cause of more people getting involved in drugs and assorted mayhem.

Could anything bring it back in the next 1T? It seems we've formed social groups based on common interests that are spread out over the country, or world. It works thanks to the Internet. People would rather Zoom with their friends around the country than have a neighborhood porch party with the people who live aroudn them.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
It may just be the weather or people going stir crazy from the isolation orders, but my sister has noted a bunch of people on their porches lately.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
I know it still existed in the previous 1T, and legend has it that in earlier America neighbors helped each other. But I don't know if this is a cyclic trait that will return. The world is on course for even more virtual existence, especially with this corona-crisis. Why pay attention to your neighbor when you are fixed on a screen talking with someone thousands of miles away, as we are doing now?
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-04-2020, 06:32 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: It may just be the weather or people going stir crazy from the isolation orders, but my sister has noted a bunch of people on their porches lately.

But does that mean they will soon associate with and help each other, which they can't do now due to isolation and social distancing?
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-03-2020, 01:38 PM)sbarrera Wrote:

Could anything bring it back in the next 1T? It seems we've formed social groups based on common interests that are spread out over the country, or world. It works thanks to the Internet. People would rather Zoom with their friends around the country than have a neighborhood porch party with the people who live around them.

A neighborhood porch or even pool party is far less expensive than is hopping onto a jetliner in Charlotte to see old friends in Greater Los Angeles. It will be a while before we have the sort of economic recovery that allows people the confidence with which to do something crazy for being expensive. Maybe we will have hybrid events that meld old practices (let us say the old ice cream "sociable") with binge-watching old episodes of Star Trek on the latest video technology. High technology will allow us to do virtual travel such as experiencing a flight between Dallas and San Francisco that allows one to see Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas (as close as I want to get to Vegas, thank you!), Albuquerque (a dump, of course, but impressive from 30,000 feet up) and of course  the Grand Canyon (which I really want to see some day in person). That is before I even discuss video-conferencing. 

There will be things that some of us will miss more intensely than others, and after this medical crisis is over (and likely the Trump Presidency) we will do those, by individual choice, again and with more intensity. We are also going to give up some "So what?" activities. Consider that the COVID-19 plague spares me the opportunity of enduring what could easily be a 120-loss season by the Detroit Cocker Spaniels baseball team that should be playing in AA ball this year to have a chance at a winning record. Many personal habits will break this time.

Most importantly, so will the atomization of the 3T that gave us empty glitz and miserable lives.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-05-2020, 03:09 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 01:38 PM)sbarrera Wrote:

Could anything bring it back in the next 1T? It seems we've formed social groups based on common interests that are spread out over the country, or world. It works thanks to the Internet. People would rather Zoom with their friends around the country than have a neighborhood porch party with the people who live around them.

A neighborhood porch or even pool party is far less expensive than is hopping onto a jetliner in Charlotte to see old friends in Greater Los Angeles. It will be a while before we have the sort of economic recovery that allows people the confidence with which to do something crazy for being expensive. Maybe we will have hybrid events that meld old practices (let us say the old ice cream "sociable") with binge-watching old episodes of Star Trek on the latest video technology. High technology will allow us to do virtual travel such as experiencing a flight between Dallas and San Francisco that allows one to see Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas (as close as I want to get to Vegas, thank you!), Albuquerque (a dump, of course, but impressive from 30,000 feet up) and of course  the Grand Canyon (which I really want to see some day in person). That is before I even discuss video-conferencing. 

There will be things that some of us will miss more intensely than others, and after this medical crisis is over (and likely the Trump Presidency) we will do those, by individual choice, again and with more intensity. We are also going to give up some "So what?" activities. Consider that the COVID-19 plague spares me the opportunity of enduring what could easily be a 120-loss season by the Detroit Cocker Spaniels baseball team that should be playing in AA ball this year to have a chance at a winning record. Many personal habits will break this time.

Most importantly, so will the atomization of the 3T that gave us empty glitz and miserable lives.

The first paragraph contains something I am hoping to do in a few weeks, and that is to fly from Chicago to Texas to attend record release party for my newfound favorite singer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There Will Not Be A Triumphant End To This Turning galaxy 33 14,533 11-22-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  War & Military Turning & Generational Issues JDG 66 5 5,301 03-24-2022, 03:01 PM
Last Post: JDG 66
  First Turning "purge" Teejay 82 47,074 03-14-2022, 09:28 AM
  The Civil War 4th turning Eric the Green 6 4,054 11-11-2021, 06:12 PM
  Generational Constellation Math For The Current And Next Turning galaxy 8 3,573 11-09-2021, 01:51 AM
  What the next First Turning won't be like Mickey123 145 61,073 10-07-2021, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  I'm a sceptic that the 4th Turning started in 2008 Isoko 326 128,771 07-09-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Why does the Fourth Turning seem to take Forever? AspieMillennial 22 9,626 01-19-2020, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Does the UK disprove the Fourth Turning? AspieMillennial 14 6,618 01-02-2020, 12:14 AM
  What will happen when this turning ends? AspieMillennial 25 10,183 12-30-2019, 02:24 PM
Last Post: David Horn