Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest scientist ever?
I cannot choose between Copernicus, Newton and Darwin.

Copernicus - showed us our place in the Cosmos.
Newton - proved that reality works according to mathematical laws. His laws have immense practical applications.
Darwin - "nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

Since I could enumerate two reasons to honour Newton, perhaps he should be the greatest.
Oh, I thought this was going to be a Fauci post.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
(04-11-2020, 05:50 AM)Blazkovitz Wrote: I cannot choose between Copernicus, Newton and Darwin.

Newton - proved that reality works according to mathematical laws. His laws have immense practical applications.

Since I could enumerate two reasons to honour Newton, perhaps he should be the greatest.

Since science builds on itself, unlike art that often takes tangents, it's hard to set the great works of any single scientist against those of another.  In 1905, Einstein published his dissertation and four seminal papers on he photoelectric effect, Brownian motion, special relativity, and the equivalence of mass and energy, all 4 more than adequate to trigger a Nobel Prize in Physics. He was 26, and just getting started. Does Einstein make the cut? Of course, but it's still impossible to say who is the singular Greatest Scientist of All Time.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(04-11-2020, 09:59 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 05:50 AM)Blazkovitz Wrote: I cannot choose between Copernicus, Newton and Darwin.

Since science builds on itself, unlike art that often takes tangents, it's hard to set the great works of any single scientist against those of another.  In 1905, Einstein published his dissertation and four seminal papers on he photoelectric effect, Brownian motion, special relativity, and the equivalence of mass and energy, all 4 more than adequate to trigger a Nobel Prize in Physics.  He was 26, and just getting started.  Does Einstein make the cut?  Of course, but it's still impossible to say who is the singular Greatest Scientist of All Time.

He does. His achievements may have seemed arcane at the time but they are now useful. 

It's a pair, but Crick and Watson, by discovering the chemical nature of DNA, established the genetic language of life.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

I think it has to be Newton.  While Darwin's contributions to biology could be argued to be as important as Newton's contribution to physics, Newton also invented integral calculus, which was important not only to physics, but to many other applications, including biology.
Another candidate -- Dmitri Mendeleyev for establishing the periodic law of the elements, without which chemistry is muck.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Crick&Watson, Einstein and Mendeleyev definitely belong in the top league.
For scientific inquiry that has since had more of a cultural than scientific influence -- Sigmund Freud. People cannot now write quite like Dickens or Dostoevsky now that everybody is under the subtle, but inescapable, cultural influence of Freud.

(04-12-2020, 09:40 AM)Blazkovitz Wrote: Crick&Watson, Einstein and Mendeleyev definitely belong in the top league.

and Rosalind Franklin
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
Does mathematics count as a science?

If so, then Euclid, Pythagoras, al-Kharwizmi, Cardano, Descartes, Euler, Gauss, Fermat, and Wiles (finally proved Fermat's Last Theorem).

What about Marie Curie and Jonas Salk. The former discovered radium; the latter mastered the polio vaccine which has, for all intents and purposes, eradicated that dreadful disease.
The greatest scientist ever has to be one who ignited science as a field of endeavor. A good, though not perfect choice: Galileo Galilei. He, almost single handedly, challenged the church's hold on truth. Until that occurred, scientific advances were sanctioned for "right thinking" only, so anything controversial was stopped in its tracks. Of course, non-Western cultures didn't have the same constraints, but they also lacked the WEIRD culture that made science a force.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(05-07-2022, 12:01 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: What about Marie Curie and Jonas Salk. The former discovered radium; the latter mastered the polio vaccine which has, for all intents and purposes, eradicated that dreadful disease.

I'd put Jenner above Salk for his inoculation for smallpox.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One of the Greatest Accomplishments in History jleagans 1 1,389 10-29-2020, 12:26 AM
Last Post: jleagans