Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GI Singers > Boomers, Xers and Millennials
Everyone praises the music of the last awakening as the best music in history, but personally....I call bullshit. That was the period where we normalized screaming and whining above real singing, giving way eventually to what we have now where 2/3 of songs don't even have a coherent melody. Let's start with a few examples 

Frank Sinatra (born 1915)

Eula Beal (born 1919)

Edith Piaf (born 1915)

ammosexual
reluctant millennial
Claramae Turner (born 1920)

Josephine Baker (born 1906)

Jerome Hines (born 1921)

ammosexual
reluctant millennial
Notice that all of these singers have big, full, natural sounding voices. Since the 70s, white America has moved progressive (or should I say...regressively) away from real singing and more toward whining, screaming and fake falsetto whistling (note: these foolish trends never caught on in the black community. Hence the common view of "black people are better singers" is held for a reason).
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
Billie Holiday (b. 1915)

Ella Fitzgerald (b. 1917)

Sarah Vaughn (b. 1924)

Lena Horne (b. 1917)
The best popular music was unquestionably during the Awakening, except for the last 5 years or so of it. The screaming and loss of melody occured during the rise of heavy metal styles, new wave and punk rock, rap, grunge and so on, which started with boomer artists to be sure, but was supported mostly by Generation X music fans. That is when the decline starts, which coincides with the ruination of our politics and culture (especially in the USA and UK) as well, around the time of 1979-1981: the rise to power of neoliberalism, the moral majority, etc., leading soon to the consolidation of media markets and producers and relegating real artists to indie or foreign status.

The peak year of pop music was 1966, and in general 1963 to 1973. Gradual decline sets in after that, and full scale ruination in the 1980s, and in particular with the start of the 3T after 1984. Now, all this is a generalization, and some fairly good artists and music can be found during this "decline," which was mainly in the USA commercial pop markets and the main alternatives genres, but even here arguably there are some good songs here and there, although especially beyond these genres. But the real excellent popular music was during the early Awakening years, and was created by the Silent "artist" generation and early Boomers-- mostly those born near the cusp of the Silents. But the quantity of interesting and inspiring pop-culture music of this era is so vast that it seems inexhaustible.

The previous excellent pop era was in the previous 4T era, and to some extent the earlier years of the preceeding saeculum: the big band, jazz and American songbook era, with Hollywood, Broadway and Tin Pan Alley producing some landmark music too. GeekyCynic mentions a few of the singers from this era, and the musical/film and other song composers and band leaders were also notable. This music is quite different from the latter sixties era; more emphasis on melody and fine singing, and expert performances like in the jazz genre, and less on sound innovation and subtle, inspiring, ambitious arrangements and guitar/organ riffs or socially-conscious lyrics and authentic intimacy or sensuality that we hear in the latter era.

However, neither era of excellence should be exaggerated to the point of holding that all of the popular music of these eras was great. That is as inaccurate as saying all the pop music since 1980 is bad. There was a lot of mediocre pop music in all these eras.

My selection of the best music of the early to mid-Awakening era and the late 1T era of this still-current saeculum I list here: http://philosopherswheel.com/ericrock.html I also list some favorite selections from other eras at the end of the article.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-31-2022, 06:08 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: The best popular music was unquestionably during the Awakening, except for the last 5 years or so of it. The screaming and loss of melody occured during the rise of heavy metal styles, new wave and punk rock, rap, grunge and so on, which started with boomer artists to be sure, but was supported mostly by Generation X music fans. That is when the decline starts, which coincides with the ruination of our politics and culture (especially in the USA and UK) as well, around the time of 1979-1981: the rise to power of neoliberalism, the moral majority, etc., leading soon to the consolidation of media markets and producers and relegating real artists to indie or foreign status.

The peak year of pop music was 1966, and in general 1963 to 1973. Gradual decline sets in after that, and full scale ruination in the 1980s, and in particular with the start of the 3T after 1984. Now, all this is a generalization, and some fairly good artists and music can be found during this "decline," which was mainly in the USA commercial pop markets and the main alternatives genres, but even here arguably there are some good songs here and there, although especially beyond these genres. But the real excellent popular music was during the early Awakening years, and was created by the Silent "artist" generation and early Boomers-- mostly those born near the cusp of the Silents. But the quantity of interesting and inspiring pop-culture music of this era is so vast that it seems inexhaustible.

The previous excellent pop era was in the previous 4T era, and to some extent the earlier years of the preceeding saeculum: the big band, jazz and American songbook era, with Hollywood, Broadway and Tin Pan Alley producing some landmark music too. GeekyCynic mentions a few of the singers from this era, and the musical/film and other song composers and band leaders were also notable. This music is quite different from the latter sixties era; more emphasis on melody and fine singing, and expert performances like in the jazz genre, and less on sound innovation and subtle, inspiring, ambitious arrangements and guitar/organ riffs or socially-conscious lyrics and authentic intimacy or sensuality that we hear in the latter era.

However, neither era of excellence should be exaggerated to the point of holding that all of the popular music of these eras was great. That is as inaccurate as saying all the pop music since 1980 is bad. There was a lot of mediocre pop music in all these eras.

My selection of the best music of the early to mid-Awakening era and the late 1T era of this still-current saeculum I list here: http://philosopherswheel.com/ericrock.html  I also list some favorite selections from other eras at the end of the article.

If I were to pick an awakening era genre which most suited my fancy, I would have to pick power ballads: a combination of attention to melodious phrasing followed by more powerful, dramatic vocals. 

A close second is disco, a genre which, for whatever reason...seems to be looked down on. Donna Summer was amazing in her early years, and the voice only got better with age.

The classic rock everyone else seems to love though? Sorry, I find is boring, relatively basic, teenager-y (though the same could be said of about 80% of modern music unfortunately).
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(05-31-2022, 11:40 PM)JasonBlack Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 06:08 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: The best popular music was unquestionably during the Awakening, except for the last 5 years or so of it. The screaming and loss of melody occured during the rise of heavy metal styles, new wave and punk rock, rap, grunge and so on, which started with boomer artists to be sure, but was supported mostly by Generation X music fans. That is when the decline starts, which coincides with the ruination of our politics and culture (especially in the USA and UK) as well, around the time of 1979-1981: the rise to power of neoliberalism, the moral majority, etc., leading soon to the consolidation of media markets and producers and relegating real artists to indie or foreign status.

My selection of the best music of the early to mid-Awakening era and the late 1T era of this still-current saeculum I list here: http://philosopherswheel.com/ericrock.html  I also list some favorite selections from other eras at the end of the article.

If I were to pick an awakening era genre which most suited my fancy, I would have to pick power ballads: a combination of attention to melodious phrasing followed by more powerful, dramatic vocals. 

A close second is disco, a genre which, for whatever reason...seems to be looked down on. Donna Summer was amazing in her early years, and the voice only got better with age.

The classic rock everyone else seems to love though? Sorry, I find is boring, relatively basic, teenager-y (though the same could be said of about 80% of modern music unfortunately).

I don't think you checked out my list, which has links to most of the songs. If you don't, then you have not been exposed to the best Awakening era music.

I like Heart pretty well.

I am not a fan of disco.

Some of the most popular classic or top 40 era rock can be boring; as I said, mediocre pop music appears in all eras.

The highest purpose of music is to expand consciousness and connect the listener to the divine. As Bach said, unless music is dedicated to the glory and honor of God, it is a mere clamoring and twanging in the ears.
Quoted here: https://youtu.be/zjfgy3my82I

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
FWIW, Leonard Bernstein was a fan of rock, or at least some of it. His argument was simple enough: the combination of imagination and complexity makes music that endures. He directly cited several performers -- most notably the Beatles (big surprise!).

Music is emotion. The variety of emotion is broad and deep; likewise, music.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(06-01-2022, 12:00 PM)David Horn Wrote: FWIW, Leonard Bernstein was a fan of rock, or at least some of it.  His argument was simple enough: the combination of imagination and complexity makes music that endures. He directly cited several performers -- most notably the Beatles (big surprise!).  

Music is emotion.  The variety of emotion is broad and deep; likewise, music.

Yes indeed. In a TV program he cited the 1966 song written by Tandem Almer and Curt Boettcher and performed by The Association called "Along Comes Mary" (it's on my top 400 list) and the 1967 song "Society's Child" by the young boomer singer-songwriter Janis Ian, as well as songs like "Got to Get You Into My Life" from the Beatles' 1966 album Revolver (that and several other songs from that album are on my top 400 list too, including one at #5). It was a peak experience time in pop music for sure, a major aspect of The Awakening. I believe he cited the use of modes in rock, and especially the mixolidian mode is prominent.

Music is emotion, and mathematics too. At its best it touches the spirit and the soul and arouses the body to dance too.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-01-2022, 04:08 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: I don't think you checked out my list, which has links to most of the songs. If you don't, then you have not been exposed to the best Awakening era music.
"domain blocked due to malware activity"  Undecided

Quote:The highest purpose of music is to expand consciousness and connect the listener to the divine. As Bach said, unless music is dedicated to the glory and honor of God, it is a mere clamoring and twanging in the ears.
Quoted here: https://youtu.be/zjfgy3my82I
This is where we differ. Music is a craft, and the technique of singing correctly is just as important than the actual piece itself. Musicians today (and I'd argue back to the 70s) tend to think it's just okay to be "creative", when they often lacked the tools to express that creativity. I want to hear good singing first and a good song second. The other way around feels...disrespectful, like they think it's all about them and don't give their craft the diligence and conscientiousness it deserves.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
Well, I remember the highly-polished "easy-listening" instrumentals of the 1970's. There might be gimmicky orchestration, but in general the cornerstone was a large string orchestra without violas. Basically, you do not hear violas in an orchestra, but you certainly recognize their absence. Without them, a pure string piece develops an 'etherial' sound that sounds great at first and then gets tiresome. It is the musical equivalent of relying upon candy as one's sole food.

The musical selections were TV and movie themes. show tunes, or even pop tunes utterly bowdlerized of any wit or edge. . Maybe it well served people stressed out at work; after all this was not going to cause one to drive drunk as might be a session at a cocktail lounge. Every big city and many small ones had an FM station that played this insipid stuff, and the call letters usually had the letters "EZ" in them. Eventually these stations ("WBOR" would have been a perfect fit) couldn't sell advertising because people quit listening. The radio stations found something else, and typically dropped call letters with the letters "EZ" in them.

I found far more wit in Handel and more edge in Stravinsky. That is all that I need say of musical tastes that I developed around age 20 and that I have never outgrown.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Missionary, Lost and GIs vs Boomers, Gen X and Millennials

modern singers, opera or otherwise, do not sing with enough chest voice!

ammosexual
reluctant millennial

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X Anthony '58 75 59,188 11-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green