Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have met the enemy, and it is us
I have been saying this a lot in forums. People are down on Biden, or whoever, and I think they need to look in the mirror. And Tom Nichols takes a look at this. Maybe not exactly as I would tend to do, but that's OK, I need to take a look again too.

Narcissism and self-centeredness is not a good foundation of democracy. Nor is saying all politicians can't be trusted. If we lose knowledge and virtue, we lose everything.

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Here's another take on this theme: being too Progressive makes progress impossible.  In his NY Times commentary When It Comes to Eating Away at Democracy, Trump is a Winner, Thomas B, Edsall pulls in the heavy wieghts to discuss an issue we've beaten into the ground.  It's nice to be a thought leader, but it's better to be winner.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
In essence we are in trouble because we are too successful for our own good. We are bored, and someone like Trump stirs many Americans. We rely too heavily upon entertainment and social media to fill the void.

Maybe we are too prosperous, too mobile, and too connected to have a solid hold on anything. Narcissism ensues, and much that makes society work is humility.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.