Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome fellow ex-TFT Forumites!
(05-19-2016, 02:47 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 12:56 AM)Bad Dog Wrote: Bark!

From my black lab to you, man. Cool

Nice to have this forum.

Brought this forum up when I saw that for no other reason than to exploit how there seems to be only a fraction of the posters here that there were on the old forum. Anybody care to speculate as to why?
(06-29-2019, 09:58 AM)beechnut79 Wrote:

Nice to have this forum.

Brought this forum up when I saw that for no other reason than to exploit how there seems to be only a fraction of the posters here that there were on the old forum. Anybody care to speculate as to why?

-- can't speak 4 others, but as 4 myself l don't seem 2 have the time 2 post as much as l used 2. I still lurk from time 2 time. Hopefully this forum will still be around in 6 yrs when l plan 2 be fully retired
Heart my 2 yr old Niece/yr old Nephew 2020 Heart
(06-29-2019, 09:58 AM)beechnut79 Wrote:

Nice to have this forum.

Yes, there are several reasons. A large group split off because they thought we were too uncivil and polarizing, and formed a secret "4T friends" facebook group. Several posters are still posting here who are real turn-offs; I'm not claiming myself to be beyond reproach either, you understand. Also, Strauss and Howe themselves started the forum, and Mr. Strauss contributed to it often himself, but Strauss died, and Howe abandoned it, and now Mr. Howe doesn't even link it to his websites. Furthermore, this site does not translate well on smart phones; the print is too small. It must be the pre-formed formatted type of site that this is. Even my own personal sites translate better; the type appears larger than this one on my phone.

I agree though, it's still nice to have this forum.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I agree, this forum is good to have. We get some good discussions going sometimes. It is a niche place for turnings theory fans.

The FB group isn't super secret or anything. If anyone here wants to join, I am happy to invite them. You just have to remember that it is by social media rules. You will be posting with your public profile. You will have to friend someone who is already in the group and you may get other friend requests. The FB group is pretty active but the format here, frankly, is better for in depth discussions.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
(07-01-2019, 07:16 AM)taramarie Wrote: I am very surprised as they had literally said they are selective about who joins because they didn't want the abusive nature over there and wanted discussion that was not going to start fights. Constructive discussion and they wanted it kept secret which I felt wrong. Guess that millennial inclusion trait is coming through strong here. It felt wrong for that reason. I ended up leaving because I felt it not the place for me when it deliberately excludes people and doesn't like people being aware of its presence and that they cant join which is what it certainly was like when I was over there. They were against Eric joining when I had asked if he could join. Back when I was naïve as to why people downed on him of course. Of course since then someone had actually invited him there and I wonder what they secretly thought about that after saying a big flat out NO when I asked them. If Eric sees this comment he cant say that is a lie either because he did not believe me there was a group and he found I told the truth. That is the truth too. I asked them. They didn't want him over there then. I believe the reason was they said because he seems to be the cause for arguments. Hey least I am honest and not saying it behind his back.

I always enjoyed his astrology-based perspectives on the past, present and future and never understood why he was as maligned as he was. But there were a couple of those over on the old forum which I certainly don't miss. I was never aware of a secret FB group so guess I won't be joining that one.
As I admit, my posts can be argumentative sometimes. Occasionally a few of the admins there (former posters here like Millennial Xer, Chas88 and Amy'85) don't like what I post. But I have managed to survive and stay peaceful most of the time there. Most of the posters there are on the left politically, but there are some conservatives and they are not usually bullied or harassed. This site is only slightly-less liberal or left than that one.

I say beware of Taramarie; she lies and bullies, and cannot be reasoned with or corrected.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-01-2019, 06:24 AM)sbarrera Wrote: I agree, this forum is good to have. We get some good discussions going sometimes. It is a niche place for turnings theory fans.

The FB group isn't super secret or anything. If anyone here wants to join, I am happy to invite them. You just have to remember that it is by social media rules. You will be posting with your public profile. You will have to friend someone who is already in the group and you may get other friend requests. The FB group is pretty active but the format here, frankly, is better for in depth discussions.

I was invited to the FB group a long time ago, but just can't do it.  FB is, quite literally, a turnoff.  I'll suffer along with the limited number of posters here, rather than migrate there.  

And yes: discussions are better on a forum than they are on ANY social media site.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(07-01-2019, 07:16 AM)taramarie Wrote: I am very surprised as they had literally said they are selective about who joins because they didn't want the abusive nature over there and wanted discussion that was not going to start fights. Constructive discussion and they wanted it kept secret which I felt wrong. Guess that millennial inclusion trait is coming through strong here. It felt wrong for that reason. I ended up leaving because I felt it not the place for me when it deliberately excludes people and doesn't like people being aware of its presence and that they cant join which is what it certainly was like when I was over there. They were against Eric joining when I had asked if he could join. Back when I was naïve as to why people downed on him of course. Of course since then someone had actually invited him there and I wonder what they secretly thought about that after saying a big flat out NO when I asked them. If Eric sees this comment he cant say that is a lie either because he did not believe me there was a group and he found I told the truth. That is the truth too. I asked them. They didn't want him over there then. I believe the reason was they said because he seems to be the cause for arguments. Hey least I am honest and not saying it behind his back.

I may look at the world through rose-tinted glasses compared to you, Tara. I didn't know about this with Eric before, but I would say he fits in with the group fine now that he is in. I actually think it is righties who have a hard time there because of the strong left/liberal/blue state bias.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
Facebook is more suited to quips than to analysis. It is not good for adding links or images as this site is.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Good thing you can block people on FB. Eric doesn't make any discussion group better. As if he wanted to prove that Boomers want to make any group about them.
(05-09-2016, 07:10 PM)Danilynn Wrote: putting someone on ignore is silly. It seems to only highlight them more.

It's not silly on facebook.  There, your only options for dealing with people you dislike is either blocking them or getting your account restricted (I speak from personal experience here).
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(12-16-2021, 06:58 AM)Anthony Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 07:10 PM)Danilynn Wrote: putting someone on ignore is silly. It seems to only highlight them more.

It's not silly on facebook.  There, your only options for dealing with people you dislike is either blocking them or getting your account restricted (I speak from personal experience here).

I closed my account entirely.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.