Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Era of Traditional Emplyment Over
Just the other day I happened across a post in the New York Times responding to an article which appeared there. The poster is listed simply as cb (lower case) so I cannot give him/her full credit. But this is what the poster said:

In American, perhaps throughout the other Western nations, there has emerged a new phenomenon - the rapid explosion of a class of people who for various reasons, do not fit in, are not currently able to function in modernity. There are millions of these people. Their old way of life has disappeared. They find themselves untethered, adrift, unable to provide for themselves, their families. The era of traditional jobs/work is over, done, finished, a remnant of earlier times. What can be done for them? Rather than have them look for work when there is no work, and let them starve, enlightened countries should create/provide large agrarian based communities for them to work the land, along with other related farm activities commonplace in an earlier era. What can be done when there is no solution? The challenge is immense.

There it is. In analyzing this post, it does more and more seem as though the first few sentences are right on--that lifetime employment in a single company or industry has pretty much gone the way of the dodo, most likely never to return. But the idea of returning to the land is no doubt several years too late because most of the land that once could have been used for said purposes has long since been converted to shopping malls and office buildings, most of which are now having their own set of issues. There are what are known as "intentional communities", usually for certain types of individuals such as, say, artists. But they are just a drop in the bucket right now. The folks the poster describes here hit home for me personally because, although coming from a fairly well-to-do family I personally have struggled for the majority of my adult life, most likely due to a condition of social awkwardness which became commonly known as Asperger's Syndrome. I always wanted to be more social but have usually had difficulty obtaining such. Ironically at a time when we are actually becoming less social due to the invasion of technology, there is actually less tolerance for social awkwardness in our workplaces. Therefore, most of my life when I was able to obtain work I was relegated to the living paycheck to paycheck scenario.

The scenario the poster paints toward the end is reminiscent in its own ways of both a modern maturity version of the hippie communes a half century later, or the reservations the Native Americans were forced onto.  Whatever it appears it is a said state of affairs nonetheless.
(05-10-2017, 03:42 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: Just the other day I happened across a post in the New York Times responding to an article which appeared there. The poster is listed simply as cb (lower case) so I cannot give him/her full credit. But this is what the poster said:

In American, perhaps throughout the other Western nations, there has emerged a new phenomenon - the rapid explosion of a class of people who for various reasons, do not fit in, are not currently able to function in modernity. There are millions of these people. Their old way of life has disappeared. They find themselves untethered, adrift, unable to provide for themselves, their families. The era of traditional jobs/work is over, done, finished, a remnant of earlier times. What can be done for them? Rather than have them look for work when there is no work, and let them starve, enlightened countries should create/provide large agrarian based communities for them to work the land, along with other related farm activities commonplace in an earlier era. What can be done when there is no solution? The challenge is immense.

There it is. In analyzing this post, it does more and more seem as though the first few sentences are right on--that lifetime employment in a single company or industry has pretty much gone the way of the dodo, most likely never to return. But the idea of returning to the land is no doubt several years too late because most of the land that once could have been used for said purposes has long since been converted to shopping malls and office buildings, most of which are now having their own set of issues. There are what are known as "intentional communities", usually for certain types of individuals such as, say, artists. But they are just a drop in the bucket right now. The folks the poster describes here hit home for me personally because, although coming from a fairly well-to-do family I personally have struggled for the majority of my adult life, most likely due to a condition of social awkwardness which became commonly known as Asperger's Syndrome. I always wanted to be more social but have usually had difficulty obtaining such. Ironically at a time when we are actually becoming less social due to the invasion of technology, there is actually less tolerance for social awkwardness in our workplaces. Therefore, most of my life when I was able to obtain work I was relegated to the living paycheck to paycheck scenario.

The scenario the poster paints toward the end is reminiscent in its own ways of both a modern maturity version of the hippie communes a half century later, or the reservations the Native Americans were forced onto.  Whatever it appears it is a said state of affairs nonetheless.
---Value Added Cool
Beachnut\79 Wrote:In American, perhaps throughout the other Western nations, there has emerged a new phenomenon - the rapid explosion of a class of people who for various reasons, do not fit in, are not currently able to function in modernity.

That's the "perma-temp" / gig-work economy, man. Cool  The idea of lifetime work for a single employer needs to be smashed. Let that be no better reason for single payer health care. Obviously, the employer provided health care model is just totally broken here. It's time to move to a VAT tax paid Medicare for all to happen, right? That means the current hodge podge of assorted health care stuff needs to be done away with and if you're a Democrat, support the single payer model. The VAT tax is broad enough that enough revenue can be provided, the merging of VA,Medicaid,etc, etc. should happen. Trumpcare is a tax reduction for the 1% farce!

Quote:There are millions of these people. Their old way of life has disappeared. They find themselves untethered, adrift, unable to provide for themselves, their families. The era of traditional jobs/work is over, done, finished, a remnant of earlier times.

Obviously. Here's a parrot award for the Republicans....  Brwwwk, Brwwwk, lower taxes, lower taxes, fewer regulations, fewer regulations, brwwk, brwwk.  Fucking bird brains.

[Image: 320px-Blue-and-Yellow-Macaw.jpg]

Gawd, I wish a cat would take out the GOP parrot. There are some options.

1. Turn on [to thrift shops], tune in [to alternative media], opt out [of the globalist economy.] IOW, starve the beast.

Quote:What can be done for them? Rather than have them look for work when there is no work, and let them starve, enlightened countries should create/provide large agrarian based communities for them to work the land, along with other related farm activities commonplace in an earlier era.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/detro...n-farming/
IOW, .... Bingo.  Fuck Walmart. Even Walmart can't compete with urban farms and thrift shops where their own shit is discounted.

Quote:What can be done when there is no solution? The challenge is immense.

Yes.  The challenge is to win over red states with a neo prairie populism. The DFL party is a good example of this.
So there is a solution. Even Trump showed the way.  Trump has opened the way to the use of the VAT for ... something.  I say let's use it to fund Medicare for all. It's a new intergenerational deal. Millies receive a removal of the Medicare payroll tax and us Jonesers/X'ers get a solvent Medicare program. I think that's a fair exchange since only fat cats pay more VAT for imported stuff. I do know there are details wrt houses and other stuff new families need to get started. I think an enhanced EITC would be a way of easing the burden on new Millie families.  So... the social contract needs a rewrite.  So there is a solution if one thinks outside the box, man. Cool

Quote:There it is. In analyzing this post, it does more and more seem as though the first few sentences are right on--that lifetime employment in a single company or industry has pretty much gone the way of the dodo, most likely never to return. But the idea of returning to the land is no doubt several years too late because most of the land that once could have been used for said purposes has long since been converted to shopping malls and office buildings, most of which are now having their own set of issues.

I think derelict malls can either be bulldozed for urban farms or repurposed likewise.  Bricks and mortar retail is pretty much doomed, you know.

Quote:There are what are known as "intentional communities", usually for certain types of individuals such as, say, artists. But they are just a drop in the bucket right now. The folks the poster describes here hit home for me personally because, although coming from a fairly well-to-do family I personally have struggled for the majority of my adult life, most likely due to a condition of social awkwardness which became commonly known as Asperger's Syndrome.
Yeah, same here. You should try Bipolar Disorder. 
https://nectarmadness.com/2016/02/27/tou...ie-review/

Quote:I always wanted to be more social but have usually had difficulty obtaining such. Ironically at a time when we are actually becoming less social due to the invasion of technology, there is actually less tolerance for social awkwardness in our workplaces. Therefore, most of my life when I was able to obtain work I was relegated to the living paycheck to paycheck scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apRBNpqNd3k    Big Grin
go to 2:07

Quote:The scenario the poster paints toward the end is reminiscent in its own ways of both a modern maturity version of the hippie communes a half century later, or the reservations the Native Americans were forced onto.  Whatever it appears it is a said state of affairs nonetheless.

Welcome to Rag's world, man.   Set me high in councils, man.   At And Set me to BUIRN.
---Value Added Cool
The days when companies really cared about their workers is long gone. Rather than treating them as assets to be develop they are usually considered costs to be cut. Now we are constantly told that we need to more than ever be the masters of our own destiny. The philosophy goes something like this: you are starting to accept that willpower is on your side. You are the only one that can redirect your energy. You are the only one that can decide where your focus needs to be. Be wise. Have heart.

This passage does sound like something out of the Smokey the Bear School, doesn't it?
(05-11-2017, 03:28 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: The days when companies really cared about their workers is long gone. Rather than treating them as assets to be develop they are usually considered costs to be cut. Now we are constantly told that we need to more than ever be the masters of our own destiny. The philosophy goes something like this: you are starting to accept that willpower is on your side. You are the only one that can redirect your energy. You are the only one that can decide where your focus needs to be. Be wise. Have heart.  

This passage does sound like something out of the Smokey the Bear School, doesn't it?

It's the mantra of the moneyed elite.  They made it; so can you.  Of course, not everyone has the personality, drive and basic skill set (or the ability to acquire them) that their ever so cute philosophy requires. Too bad for them.  They know it works ... for now.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(05-11-2017, 11:05 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: I think derelict malls can either be bulldozed for urban farms or repurposed  likewise.  Bricks and mortar retail is pretty much doomed, you know.

Quote:There are what are known as "intentional communities", usually for certain types of individuals such as, say, artists. But they are just a drop in the bucket right now. The folks the poster describes here hit home for me personally because, although coming from a fairly well-to-do family I personally have struggled for the majority of my adult life, most likely due to a condition of social awkwardness which became commonly known as Asperger's Syndrome.
Yeah, same here. You should try Bipolar Disorder. 
https://nectarmadness.com/2016/02/27/tou...ie-review/

Quote:I always wanted to be more social but have usually had difficulty obtaining such. Ironically at a time when we are actually becoming less social due to the invasion of technology, there is actually less tolerance for social awkwardness in our workplaces. Therefore, most of my life when I was able to obtain work I was relegated to the living paycheck to paycheck scenario.

<snip>

Quote:The scenario the poster paints toward the end is reminiscent in its own ways of both a modern maturity version of the hippie communes a half century later, or the reservations the Native Americans were forced onto.  Whatever it appears it is a said state of affairs nonetheless.

Welcome to Rag's world, man.   Set me high in councils, man.   At And Set me to BUIRN.

0. Dead malls are perfect for conversion into controlled, pesticide-free environments for growing weed.

I think you're on to something. 

John Law Lives, on Zerohedge Wrote:1. Legalize pot in all 50 states.
2. Use malls as central locations to sell pot.
3. Have plenty of head shops in the malls.
4. Have plenty of food shops available in the malls for when potheads get the munchies.
5. Potheads will flood the malls in droves.

Obviously, great minds think a like, man. Cool   You'd be item 0.  I think the same would work for tobaccy. Oh,... man, I' have  3 boxes + some hung up leaves from last year's tobaccy. 1 year old cured leaves smell really nice. My leaves smell just like pipe/cigar tobaccy. I have ground up about 1 mason jar worth of tobaccy.  It's nice since I think I have on hand about $1000.00 of snus , tax free. It's also a weird consequence of Oklahoma weather. We got dumped on wrt rain and I had some minor basement flooding. Big Grin   The tobaccy leaves soaked up a bit of moisture , dried out, and obtained that sweet cigar smell. Heart
---Value Added Cool
(05-11-2017, 03:35 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(05-11-2017, 03:28 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: The days when companies really cared about their workers is long gone. Rather than treating them as assets to be develop they are usually considered costs to be cut. Now we are constantly told that we need to more than ever be the masters of our own destiny. The philosophy goes something like this: you are starting to accept that willpower is on your side. You are the only one that can redirect your energy. You are the only one that can decide where your focus needs to be. Be wise. Have heart.  

It's the mantra of the moneyed elite.  They made it; so can you.  Of course, not everyone has the personality, drive and basic skill set (or the ability to acquire them) that their ever so cute philosophy requires. Too bad for them.  They know it works ... for now.

Also the mantra of the Self-Help BS industry, which IMO to a large extent is just perpetuating this sort of ruling class ideology among us peons.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Culture Wars Era - is it moving into its final phase? sbarrera 119 63,217 03-17-2019, 10:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a