Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netiquette Rants
I think sometimes we all need to vent.

I'll start.

One thing I can't stand is shitty email thread discipline.

Let's say someone sends an email out, asking a question / status / etc.

I read and respond to the mail, replying all, with a well crafted response that includes additional direction to others on the thread.

Then .... along comes that guy or gal.

They don't respond to my response, they respond to the initial mail. What's really bad is when that person's mail contradicts what I wrote, or causes confusion by being less clear. What's even worse, is, when I added people to the thread in my response, then, that guy or gal adds a different, possibly overlapping, possibly different group.

This is how threads branch, and sometimes, result in a absolute, clusterfucked up, shit storm.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Angry

I can sympathize.  However, the original poster owns the tread, proposes the topic.  The first person to respond doesn't own the thread.  The thread is going to follow the original post, or the responses that are the most interesting to posters interested enough to respond.  All you might hope for is that the original poster that started the thread will find your post interesting and keep your angle on things alive.

My variation on your peeve is that a lot of posters have bought into a red, blue or media spin on an issue.  Any thread is apt to be swamped under by the usual angles on things.  Any post showing original thought away from the usual angle gets ignored.

But I don't own the forum in general and threads in particular.  One has to earn the privilege of being read, or the privilege of a response.  If a post drops into silence, one can only guess why?  Are locked minds unable to understand or appreciate?  Did you finally shut someone up, making a point they can't answer?  Is your angle on things so incompatible with the common angle on things that they either don't get it or don't care to take it seriously?  Was your post just not a good one, not attracting the attention that you didn't deserve?  Take your choice.  Who knows?

To some degree I see a cooperative political approach possible.  Some posters might have an approach to a problem or care about issue similar to yours.  You could make it a habit to respond to a given posters stuff, to keep his stuff alive, while tweaking his thoughts, adding to them, consciously keeping his conversation alive.  Cross your fingers, and hope the other guy reciprocates.

But mostly I figure that you get responses if they are earned, if the ideas presented mesh with the readers or make sense enough that they can't be ignored.  Everybody has their own perspective and agenda, often narrow, and if your idea doesn't touch their areas of interest it won't gather interest.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(06-08-2017, 10:47 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: I think sometimes we all need to vent.

I'll start.

One thing I can't stand is shitty email thread discipline.

Let's say someone sends an email out, asking a question / status / etc.

I read and respond to the mail, replying all, with a well crafted response that includes additional direction to others on the thread.

Then .... along comes that guy or gal.

They don't respond to my response, they respond to the initial mail. What's really bad is when that person's mail contradicts what I wrote, or causes confusion by being less clear. What's even worse, is, when I added people to the thread in my response, then, that guy or gal adds a different, possibly overlapping, possibly different group.

This is how threads branch, and sometimes, result in a absolute, clusterfucked up, shit storm.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Angry

Finally, a post from you that actually reflects a conservative political viewpoint!