Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 144,345
» Latest member: Jamesoxinc
» Forum threads: 2,066
» Forum posts: 56,344

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 234 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 234 Guest(s)

Latest Threads
WHATSAPP +4917636131686)W...
Forum: General Political Discussion
Last Post: besbian1990
04-25-2024, 07:39 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 24
WHATSAPP +4917636131686))...
Forum: Old Fourth Turning Forum Posts
Last Post: besbian1990
04-25-2024, 07:37 AM
» Views: 26
Whatsapp: +16465806302 Bu...
Forum: Forum feedback
Last Post: markcarls
04-25-2024, 05:06 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 62
Whatsapp: +16465806302 Bu...
Forum: About the Forums and Website
04-25-2024, 05:04 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 48
Whatsapp +16465806302 Kup...
Forum: Announcements
04-25-2024, 05:03 AM
» Views: 32
Kaufen deutschen Führersc...
Forum: Turnings
Last Post: leonmulla744
04-24-2024, 11:33 PM
» Views: 26
WHERE CAN I BUY COUNTERF...
Forum: Special Topics/G-T Lounge
Last Post: hariiscarlos
04-22-2024, 06:26 PM
» Views: 47
WHERE CAN I BUY COUNTERF...
Last Post: hariiscarlos
04-22-2024, 06:22 PM
» Views: 31
führerschein umtauschen (...
Forum: Theories Of History
04-21-2024, 11:30 PM
» Views: 45
Kaufen deutschen Führersc...
04-21-2024, 11:23 PM
» Views: 28

Election Night Thread
Posted by: Dan '82 - 11-08-2016, 07:16 PM - Forum: General Political Discussion - Replies (85)

No major results in yet.

Exit polls have Trump doing the same with Hispanic voters as Romney did.

Print this item

I Voted Today.
Posted by: Bad Dog - 11-08-2016, 04:40 PM - Forum: General Political Discussion - Replies (19)

How many of us have? Smile

Print this item

Neil Howe: 'Civil War Is More Likely Than People Think'
Posted by: Dan '82 - 11-08-2016, 11:01 AM - Forum: Neil Howe & The First Turning - Replies (215)

https://app.hedgeye.com/insights/55206-n...les-of-his

Quote:Three scenarios could play out after this election says Hedgeye Demography Sector Head Neil Howe. Howe, a bestselling author and renowned authority on generations and social change in America (who coined the term "millennials") lays them out in the interview above.

The third possibility is obviously disconcerting.

1. Conciliation
  2. Gridlock
  3. Civil War..

https://app.hedgeye.com/insights/55206-n...les-of-his

Print this item

Credit Cards Lose Their Charge
Posted by: Dan '82 - 11-08-2016, 08:30 AM - Forum: Neil Howe & The First Turning - Replies (2)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilhowe/201...ir-charge/

Quote:Earlier this month, Goldman Sachs debuted an online retail service designed to offer loans to consumers searching for an alternative to credit card borrowing. The move adds yet another competitor to an industry already struggling to add new customers. Late in the economic cycle, credit card companies usually rely more on interest payments than on additional debtors. But today’s frozen credit cycle has experts worried that credit cards are experiencing all the costs (defaults) with none of the benefits (revolving interest charges). Worse yet, a large share of Generation-X and Millennial consumers simply doesn’t use or trust credit cards.

The credit card industry encompasses a wide range of players who assume various roles in a transaction. First, there are the issuing banks—like Citigroup, JPMorgan, Bank of America, and Capital One—that issue credit cards to consumers. Then there are the acquiring banks (overlapping with the issuing banks) that process payments on behalf of the merchant. And finally there are the networks—Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover—that act as middleman skimmers between the issuing and acquiring banks...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilhowe/201...ir-charge/

Print this item

It Ain’t Over, Folks
Posted by: Dan '82 - 11-08-2016, 08:25 AM - Forum: Peter Turchin's Theroies - Replies (22)

http://peterturchin.com/cliodynamica/it-...ver-folks/

Quote:Judging by the tone of discussions in the mass media and the social media, most people are heartily sick of this “Election from Hell” and can’t wait until it’s over. Well, folks, I have bad news for you (and yes, I know what happens to a bearer of bad news): It Ain’t Over. Whoever gets elected tomorrow, we are guaranteed to see more political dysfunction and social instability both in the short and medium terms.
The chances of impeachment proceedings (to repeat, whoever wins the presidency) in 2017 are very high. The relations between the POTUS and the Congress are likely to deteriorate even more. Proxies for political fragmentation, which I use in Ages of Discord, such as the frequency of filibusters and the percent of judicial nominations who are not confirmed; all will probably continue to spike. Incidentally, when are we going to have a nine-member Supreme Court again?
In the medium run neither of the candidates has a good program that could even start addressing the deep structural causes of our current troubles. As I said many times, this blog is fiercely nonpartisan. I have not endorsed, nor dis-endorsed, either of the candidates. But even their supporters admit that both major candidates are flawed, each in his/her own way. The presidential campaign of 2016 has been relentlessly negative. I don’t even remember any substantive discussion of how the current trends to popular immiseration are going to be reversed. And, of course, nobody is discussing elite overproduction. Well, very few people understand how serious a problem it is.
Yet elite overproduction has a lot to do with why we find ourselves in this Election from Hell. In Ages of Discord I discuss two proxies for current elite overproduction: overproduction of multi-millionaires, and overproduction of politically ambitious holders of advanced degrees, most importantly, law degrees (because a law degree is the best kind of credential to have if you want to become a politician).
[Image: Clinton_Trump-1024x576.jpg]
Source
As I pointed out in a previous post, Donald Trump is emblematic of the new crop of politically ambitious newly rich, who aim to translate their economic power into political office. Hillary Clinton, on the other hand, is emblematic of the Law School route to political office. As the number of multimillionaires and law degree holders per population capita exploded in recent decades, we now have an overly large pool of contenders for a fixed number of political offices (there is only one POTUS, only nine high justices, 100 senators, etc.). Structural-demographic theory posits that as competition for these offices becomes intense, so will intraelite fragmentation and conflict.
This is, really, why this election has been so nasty. It’s not just the personalities of Trump or Clinton. As intraelite competition becomes fierce, all methods of getting ahead become fair. Why should we expect that presidential candidates would compete on who proposes a better program to fix social ills? Smearing the opponent works much better.
[Image: Evan_Mathis_and_Dwayne_Johnson-1024x768.jpg]
No-Holds-Barred-Competition
What’s particularly worrying is how this no-holds-barred competition results in the unraveling of the social norms that govern the public discourse and the  political system in this country. Trump has refused to conform to one of the most important norms of democracy: to acquiesce to the election results. But (to be nonpartisan and even-handed in my critique of the two candidates), what was Clinton thinking about when she accepted a $1 million contribution from a foreign government during her tenure as Secretary of State?
Both candidates have been riding rough-shod over the social norms that have governed what is acceptable behavior of a member of the American political class. Such unraveling of social norms is what we see in the run-up to a major political rapture in historical societies that my colleagues and I have studied.

Print this item

9/11 (Please, no "Truther" posts)
Posted by: X_4AD_84 - 11-07-2016, 05:40 PM - Forum: History Forum - Replies (6)

The 9/11 attacks obviously were the icing on the cake for the 3T as experienced by the US. So much has happened both in terms of domestic politics and geopolitics since then, as a result of that day of infamy.

I started this thread in order to capture thoughts, comments, links and info about 9/11.

Please, no "Truther" posts. That would derail the thread.

Print this item

Streisand coaching Ridley
Posted by: Warren Dew - 11-07-2016, 01:16 AM - Forum: Entertainment and Media - Replies (7)

1:51 into this video is a great example of the "boomer coaching millenial" dynamic.  Streisand knows exactly what she wants, and Ridley just does it.  I've cued it to the relevant portion.

Print this item

The Next 10 Years: A Deep Sense of Foreboding
Posted by: X_4AD_84 - 11-04-2016, 09:27 PM - Forum: The Future - Replies (56)

Anyone who takes a few steps back to view both our domestic situation as well as the international situation should be greatly alarmed. Domestically, the supports for national unity are at their weakest in my lifetime - now past a half century. The so called "Alt-Right" have steered or have been steered into a pathos that is surprising in a nation that so prides itself in being different and separate from Europe. The "Alt-Right" are now no different from the various European Extreme Right movements, which, to be blunt, are no different from the "pan" movements of the early to middle 20th Century. It is one of the most shocking things of my life experience thus far to be witnessing this. I write this as one who, a mere ten years ago, railed against both the liberals as well as the Establishment conservatives. I hereby apologize for whatever role that might have had in terms of catalyzing some dire unintended consequences.

Meanwhile, internationally, the long standing post-WW2 order, whatever were its faults, has now vanished. Sure there are still some false front buildings akin to a poorly constructed Spaghetti Western set, such as the UN, the EU, and various other attempts at international order. But these are no longer respected, most especially by the Shang Hai Cooperation Org countries and various client and affiliated rogue states thereof. NATO still seems vital, in affront to this trend. Long may it last. It would be a crime to allow it to disintegrate, only to have to be reconstructed in some fashion, hastily, during a future darkest hour, under threat of being defeated by Evil.

Then, there is the matter of Russian interference in our election. This knits together the two aforementioned venues of crisis. Moscow are no longer trying to hide their intentions. Moscow have lined up behind the 21st Century Quisling, hoping to neutralize the one great power truly capable of stopping the SCO advance. In their wildest dreams, the US would even go beyond neutrality, and become a member of the Axis of Evil.

Suffice it to say, as we approach one of the greatest decision points ever encountered in US history, I feel a deep sense of foreboding. No matter what the outcome on Tuesday, I believe forces have already been unleashed, both domestically and internationally, that can only lead us further into the abyss. It's too late to turn back now. God Bless us all.

Print this item

Cubs win!
Posted by: pbrower2a - 11-03-2016, 06:31 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (7)

Tweets from Neil DeGrasse Tyson on the Huffington Post before the Cubs won the World Series:

The last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series, the existence of the Atom had only recently been established.

The last time the Cubs won the World Series, the Wright Brothers were debating if aeroplanes could ever fly from NYC to Paris

The last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series, the Periodic Table had only 85 Elements on it.

The last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series, the cosmic object known as Pluto was not yet discovered.

The last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series, Mark Twain was still alive.

In the same year the Chicago Cubs last won the World Series, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were killed in Bolivia.

Five years *after* the Chicago Cubs last won the World Series, Henry Ford perfected the moving assembly line.

The expanding Universe was discovered by Edwin Hubble 21 years *after* the Chicago Cubs last won the World Series.

The last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series, three years would pass before the discovery of the atomic nucleus.

One more?

Halley's Comet has appeared TWICE in our skies since the last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series.

After...

The last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series, Real Estate developer Donald Trump was running for President of the USA.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/neil...3e6c1e0848

Print this item

Trick or Treating Tradition Fading Away
Posted by: X_4AD_84 - 11-01-2016, 12:43 PM - Forum: Society and Culture - Replies (16)

What I mean by Trick or Treating is actual, real Trick or Treating, where people walk down the street, knocking on doors of people who appear to be participating. When I was a kid the participation rate was well over 90%.

Last night we only got single digits of people at our place. We are in a suburb. It's a bit woodsy but it's not a standoffish McMansion place where people are discouraged from access to front doors. We live in a mix of individually built houses ranging from Edwardian to recent. Front doors are easy to get to and we do have street lights.

The reason we only got a handful of trick or treaters is instead of doing traditional trick or treating, the parents all got together in one place with their kids and had a closed party (well, not formally closed, but the idea was, all these people get together and do a sort of lame trick or treat only with each other). It was very tribal - "we are the 'parents-with-elementary-aged-kids' tribe. We won't knock on doors of members of other tribes."

I predict that at least in our corner of the Bay Area, some of the Homies will never know traditional Trick or Treating, and, the next generation of kids won't know it at all.

Print this item