Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study Shows Helicopter Parents are Insane
Why Do We Judge Parents For Putting Kids At Perceived — But Unreal — Risk?

"Many parents who grew up playing outdoors with friends, walking alone to the park or to school, and enjoying other moments of independent play are now raising children in a world with very different norms.

"In the United States today, leaving children unsupervised is grounds for moral outrage and can lead to criminal charges.

"What's changed?

"One possibility is that the risks to children have changed. What was safe in the past may be unsafe today, placing children in genuine danger. But, for the most part, the data don't support this. Statistics from the National Crime Victimization Survey, for example, suggest that violent crime rates have decreased since the 1970s (and not only when it comes to children, whom one could argue are benefiting from the increased oversight)."

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/08...nreal-risk

In other news, water is wet and bears shit in woods. Big Grin
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(08-31-2016, 07:03 AM)Odin Wrote: In other news, water is wet and bears shit in woods. Big Grin

I understand you live in Fargo ND.  What is your line of work?
Actually the study doesn't show that helicopter parents are insane; it shows that society is insanely forcing parents to helicopter.
(10-25-2016, 04:17 PM)Mikebert Wrote:
(08-31-2016, 07:03 AM)Odin Wrote: In other news, water is wet and bears shit in woods. Big Grin

I understand you live in Fargo ND.  What is your line of work?

I currently work at a place that embroiders and prints shirts, mainly for high schools and colleges.
(08-30-2016, 10:42 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Why Do We Judge Parents For Putting Kids At Perceived — But Unreal — Risk?

"Many parents who grew up playing outdoors with friends, walking alone to the park or to school, and enjoying other moments of independent play are now raising children in a world with very different norms.

"In the United States today, leaving children unsupervised is grounds for moral outrage and can lead to criminal charges.

"What's changed?

"One possibility is that the risks to children have changed. What was safe in the past may be unsafe today, placing children in genuine danger. But, for the most part, the data don't support this. Statistics from the National Crime Victimization Survey, for example, suggest that violent crime rates have decreased since the 1970s (and not only when it comes to children, whom one could argue are benefiting from the increased oversight)."

That's right. Parents are today reacting to a perception created over 20 years ago.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-26-2016, 11:22 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-30-2016, 10:42 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Why Do We Judge Parents For Putting Kids At Perceived — But Unreal — Risk?

"What's changed?

That's right. Parents are today reacting to a perception created over 20 years ago.

Why do people tend to react to the past more than they do the present? The people who do react to the present are called crazy as it's happening.
(10-26-2016, 08:20 PM)disasterzone Wrote: Why do people tend to react to the past more than they do the present? The people who do react to the present are called crazy as it's happening.

It is not that they are "reacting to the past" so much has that the modern news media has created a distorted perception of the present, causing parents to believe that things are much more dangerous for their kids than it actually is, and trying to educate people with actual statistical data is useless because the vast majority will simply dismiss it and go with what they "feel" is true, and get angry at you for even trying to change their minds and will accuse you of "not caring about the children".

Don't forget that the sun set in the West last night.

That said a great deal of this nonsense is the result of listening to MSM fear mongering stories. Myself, I try to limit my fears to real threats to my child, and any other children which might some how come under my supervision. Thankfully that isn't much for a 17 year old...but my 7 year old niece and 5 year old nephew require greater attention.

ETA: I did notice that some people disapproved of my method of teaching my five year old nephew how to swim. I threw him into a pool and basically forced him to learn to swim or drown. And no I wouldn't have actually let him drown. Needless to say he now knows how to swim. The moral of the story, children are not made of glass and don't need to be wrapped in cotton wool and then smothered with bubble wrap.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Separation of illegal-alien children from parents pbrower2a 24 13,366 08-20-2018, 08:31 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Teens having less sex and are drinking and using drugs less often, study finds Dan '82 0 2,297 06-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Dan '82