Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Democrats organize to fight back
(12-13-2016, 06:22 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 05:16 PM)Odin Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 10:46 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 04:11 PM)FLBones Wrote: Exactly. Democrats need to come up with their own populist, anti establishment candidate whom appeals to the working classs if they want to win. That person will have to be someone who is anti-globalism, anti-illegal immigration, anti-free trade, etc. He probably would have to more authoritarian like. A lot of Americans want someone who is a strong and decisive leader and will get us through tough times.

The Democrats need to transform themselves from the PC party of special pleaders to a broader party focused on defending the not-elite in total.  Other than Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren, there aren't a lot of Bernie-types to draw on. 

Assume this is not a single cycle problem.  Being effective as a broad-based party of the non-elite will take more than a white knight POTUS.  They will need the Congress and state offices first.  That's a decade at a minimum.

IMO the big problem is that the party has lost it's sense of the guiding principle behind the current party coalition, that guiding principle is being the party that supports whoever is getting screwed over by the economically or socially privileged, be it working class whites, women, minorities, LGBT folks, etc. To quote Poppy Bush, we lack "the vision thing" right now. We are at risk of decomposing into our various competent groups because of the increasingly narcissistic "my pet issue is the most important and if you don't agree you are a reactionary shitlord" mentality of the activist wing of the party.

Your last sentence hit the point exactly.  The herd-of-cats party is so incoherent that it is literally a organ for spouting the talking point of the minute from the cause of the hour.  Worse, the special pleaders that feel fully entitled to petition for full and unwavering support of the party have forgotten (assuming they ever knew) that reciprocity is mandatory ... unless losing is the goal.

The Dems need to move the social issues off page one, and focus on two issues 95% of the time: inequality and upward mobility as their economic message and global warming as the primary foreign policy objective.  It also wouldn't hurt to show some cojones when threatening foreign powers try to play them.  I don't expect it will happen, but I can hope.

IMO one of the huge mistakes the Clinton campaign made was not attacking Trump the same way Obama attacked Romney as a evil rich POS. She should have spammed the airwaves with ads with stories from all the people and companies fleeced by him. No, instead the campaign made it about "we are oh-so enlightened, they are all deplorable bigots".
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(12-14-2016, 08:20 AM)Odin Wrote: IMO one of the huge mistakes the Clinton campaign made was not attacking Trump the same way Obama attacked Romney as a evil rich POS. She should have spammed the airwaves with ads with stories from all the people and companies fleeced by him. No, instead the campaign made it about "we are oh-so enlightened, they are all deplorable bigots".

I don't know about that.  If anything, Clinton was too negative and offered no vision of what she intended to do.  Yes, she had detailed position papers that put the public into a deep slumber; Trump had "Make America Great Again" -- simple, punchy, positive and devoid of detail.

But in the end, the real problem was the party, not the candidate.  Democrats needed to present a vision to get them ALL elected.  Instead, they mostly lost.  If they want to start winning, they better find their communal voice and start singing from the right hymnal.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(12-14-2016, 08:20 AM)Odin Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 10:46 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 04:11 PM)FLBones Wrote: Exactly. Democrats need to come up with their own populist, anti establishment candidate whom appeals to the working classs if they want to win. That person will have to be someone who is anti-globalism, anti-illegal immigration, anti-free trade, etc. He probably would have to more authoritarian like. A lot of Americans want someone who is a strong and decisive leader and will get us through tough times.

The Democrats need to transform themselves from the PC party of special pleaders to a broader party focused on defending the not-elite in total.  Other than Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren, there aren't a lot of Bernie-types to draw on. 

Assume this is not a single cycle problem.  Being effective as a broad-based party of the non-elite will take more than a white knight POTUS.  They will need the Congress and state offices first.  That's a decade at a minimum.

IMO the big problem is that the party has lost it's sense of the guiding principle behind the current party coalition, that guiding principle is being the party that supports whoever is getting screwed over by the economically or socially privileged, be it working class whites, women, minorities, LGBT folks, etc. To quote Poppy Bush, we lack "the vision thing" right now. We are at risk of decomposing into our various competent groups because of the increasingly narcissistic "my pet issue is the most important and if you don't agree you are a reactionary shitlord" mentality of the activist wing of the party.

Your last sentence hit the point exactly.  The herd-of-cats party is so incoherent that it is literally a organ for spouting the talking point of the minute from the cause of the hour.  Worse, the special pleaders that feel fully entitled to petition for full and unwavering support of the party have forgotten (assuming they ever knew) that reciprocity is mandatory ... unless losing is the goal.

The Dems need to move the social issues off page one, and focus on two issues 95% of the time: inequality and upward mobility as their economic message and global warming as the primary foreign policy objective.  It also wouldn't hurt to show some cojones when threatening foreign powers try to play them.  I don't expect it will happen, but I can hope.

IMO one of the huge mistakes the Clinton campaign made was not attacking Trump the same way Obama attacked Romney as a evil rich POS. She should have spammed the airwaves with ads with stories from all the people and companies fleeced by him. No, instead the campaign made it about "we are oh-so enlightened, they are all deplorable bigots".
Odin, you got it exactly right.  The campaign should have presented Trump as the con man he is.
(12-14-2016, 01:13 PM)The Wonkette Wrote:
(12-14-2016, 08:20 AM)Odin Wrote: IMO one of the huge mistakes the Clinton campaign made was not attacking Trump the same way Obama attacked Romney as a evil rich POS. She should have spammed the airwaves with ads with stories from all the people and companies fleeced by him. No, instead the campaign made it about "we are oh-so enlightened, they are all deplorable bigots".

Odin, you got it exactly right.  The campaign should have presented Trump as the con man he is.

Every Hillary ad I saw covered that ground like a rug.  It didn't work.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(12-14-2016, 02:21 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 05:38 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 05:21 PM)Odin Wrote: What's Tammy Duckworth's score, Eric?

I always respond to these requests. OK, let's see:

Well, first of all, I don't think she's eligible.

"Tammy Duckworth was born on March 12, 1968, in Bangkok, Thailand"
http://www.biography.com/people/tammy-du...h-21129571

In any case, not good: 9-10.

Maggie Hassan and Ms. Cortez-Masto actually won their races; it might be more worth checking their scores. (Well, I got Duckworth mixed up with the one from PA, yes she did win a senate seat in IL.)

Well, Maggie Hassan's score is not good either, 7-7. Catherine Cortez Masto, 10-11

Scores subject to some change if birth times become known.

Corrected scores:
Duckworth: 9-10
Hassan: 7-7
Cortez Masto 10-11
I have to remember that for 12 Noon charts (birth time unknown) I can't give as many points to lunar aspects; they are uncertain.

Mike Pence corrected to 8-7

More corrections: Debbie Stabenow, 8-3; but it could change depending on birth time if it becomes known.

This applies to most of these:

UPDATE: Stephen Colbert, 20-11
Michael Moore, 16-8 (birth time known)
Seth Meyers, 20-4
Mark Zuckerberg, 12-9
Chelsea Clinton, 9-5 (birth time known)
Michelle Obama, 6-6
Terry McAuliffe, 11-2
Sherrod Brown, 19-8
George Clooney, 11-17 (birth time known)
Jack Markell, 14-9
Janet Napolitano, 11-5
Zephyr Teachout, 4-10
Joe Biden, 13-8 (birth time known)
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-14-2016, 01:13 PM)The Wonkette Wrote:
(12-14-2016, 08:20 AM)Odin Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 10:46 AM)David Horn Wrote: The Democrats need to transform themselves from the PC party of special pleaders to a broader party focused on defending the not-elite in total.  Other than Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren, there aren't a lot of Bernie-types to draw on. 

They did that over and over. Their focus on that in the last days, instead of positive proposals like Trump made (although phony ones), are part of what cost Hillary the election.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
We have to fight back, says Michael Moore

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-21-2016, 05:18 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: We have to fight back, says Michael Moore

I can't stand that guy.
(12-22-2016, 03:10 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(12-21-2016, 05:18 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: We have to fight back, says Michael Moore

I can't stand that guy.
He is an idiot.  Always has been which is why Eric the Obtuse listens to him.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(12-13-2016, 10:46 AM)David Horn Wrote: The Democrats need to transform themselves from the PC party of special pleaders to a broader party focused on defending the not-elite in total.  Other than Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren, there aren't a lot of Bernie-types to draw on. 

I don't think that will work.  White working class folks see Democrats as the party of minorities (particularly blacks) and progressives.  Under Donald Trump the Republicans have emerged as the white people's party. There is much evidence to support this idea.  First of all, self-described progressives almost never vote for Republicans.  Ninety percent of blacks vote for Democrats and large majorities of other minorities do as well.  So these folks are not wrong.

If you are white and not progressive how is the Democratic party the party for you?  Sure the Republicans are the party of the rich, of corporate management whom you hate, but are the Democrats much better?  After all, NAFTA, and MFA status for China happened under Clinton and so did the elimination of Glass-Steagall.  And a lot of the stuff management makes you do, like diversity and sensitivity training, are the sort of stuff Democrats like.
Then take groups like the KKK, the Nazis and other white power groups.  They weren't particularly big fans of Romney or McCain, both of whom seems to be shills for elites (corporate or military-industrial), but they sure do love Trump.  Are they on to something, maybe Trump really is for white folks, who have been getting the short end of the stick of late.  They are not crazy for thinking this.

Democrats simply have nothing to offer white working class folks. And so a Sanderesque economic appeal is not going to work--anymore than it did for Sanders. If white working class folks had flocked to Sanders (who really had the economic message) instead of Trump, Sanders would have handily beat Clinton in the primary.  Didn't happen.
So what should Democrats do?  It's really simple.  In due time Democrats will get swept back into power like they were in 2008.  This time be bold!  Look Obama won the 2008 primaries and election on his public option. he didn't get it because Congressional Democrats wouldn't support him. Hell Democrats had a filibuster-proof majority, why not just extend Medicare to everybody? Don't worry about paying for it, Republicans don't.

Republicans are bolder in policy, they will cut taxes, go to war, whatever, damn the consequences. People sense this.  They know Romney and the rest including Trump are about tax cuts.  But Trump is also about white power in a way Romney and the rest were not.  Maybe Trump really is serious about clamping down in immigration, Muslims, and Black Lives Matter as well as the standard tax cuts.  If he's not and all they get is tax cuts, well they've lived with this before.
(12-22-2016, 04:20 AM)Galen Wrote:

I can't stand that guy.
You got to admire him in a way, you makes cheap movies tailored for blue idiots which make him a lot of money which allows him to screw off for several years regardless of the outcome. In a way, it kinda makes one mad about being born and raised with scruples.
Michael Moore is a hero who tells the truth. And I think he has gotten less bombastic than he was at the Oscars some years ago. He does good work, and according to his horoscope, even has some potential as a candidate in a society that elects people in show business to run the "show." And one thing that he has made clear, is that he understands the white working class and how they feel.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-22-2016, 08:49 AM)Mikebert Wrote:

I don't think that will work.  White working class folks see Democrats as the party of minorities (particularly blacks) and progressives.  Under Donald Trump the Republicans have emerged as the white people's party. There is much evidence to support this idea.  First of all, self-described progressives almost never vote for Republicans.  Ninety percent of blacks vote for Democrats and large majorities of other minorities do as well.  So these folks are not wrong.

If you are white and not progressive how is the Democratic party the party for you?  Sure the Republicans are the party of the rich, of corporate management whom you hate, but are the Democrats much better?  After all, NAFTA, and MFA status for China happened under Clinton and so did the elimination of Glass-Steagall.  And a lot of the stuff management makes you do, like diversity and sensitivity training, are the sort of stuff Democrats like.
Then take groups like the KKK, the Nazis and other white power groups.  They weren't particularly big fans of Romney or McCain, both of whom seems to be shills for elites (corporate or military-industrial), but they sure do love Trump.  Are they on to something, maybe Trump really is for white folks, who have been getting the short end of the stick of late.  They are not crazy for thinking this.

Democrats simply have nothing to offer white working class folks. And so a Sanderesque economic appeal is not going to work--anymore than it did for Sanders. If white working class folks had flocked to Sanders (who really had the economic message) instead of Trump, Sanders would have handily beat Clinton in the primary.  Didn't happen.
So what should Democrats do?  It's really simple.  In due time Democrats will get swept back into power like they were in 2008.  This time be bold!  Look Obama won the 2008 primaries and election on his public option. he didn't get it because Congressional Democrats wouldn't support him. Hell Democrats had a filibuster-proof majority, why not just extend Medicare to everybody? Don't worry about paying for it, Republicans don't.

Republicans are bolder in policy, they will cut taxes, go to war, whatever, damn the consequences. People sense this.  They know Romney and the rest including Trump are about tax cuts.  But Trump is also about white power in a way Romney and the rest were not.  Maybe Trump really is serious about clamping down in immigration, Muslims, and Black Lives Matter as well as the standard tax cuts.  If he's not and all they get is tax cuts, well they've lived with this before.

Democrats have a lot to offer white working class folks; really, everything. The problem is that white working class folks don't seem to realize it these days. I don't know if they will.

You're right about the need for Democrats to be bold, and this time (in the 2020s) I predict that they will.

Sanders didn't win because he was too much of an outsider and lesser-known, especially among people of color, and many Democrats preferred the more moderate and pragmatic candidate. Clinton had a strong appeal to those older working class white Democrats who were not into white power and who knew her, as well as people of color who did as well. Many trusted a known-quantity in the Democratic primaries.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-22-2016, 02:15 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(12-22-2016, 04:20 AM)Galen Wrote:

I can't stand that guy.
You got to admire him in a way, you makes cheap movies tailored for blue idiots which make him a lot of money which allows him to screw off for several years regardless of the outcome. In a way, it kinda makes one mad about being born and raised with scruples.

He found a way to relieve the stupid of their money.  No one has ever gone broke underestimating the intelligence of liberals.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(12-22-2016, 02:17 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Michael Moore is a hero who tells the truth. And I think he has gotten less bombastic than he was at the Oscars some years ago. He does good work, and according to his horoscope, even has some potential as a candidate in a society that elects people in show business to run the "show." And one thing that he has made clear, is that he understands the white working class and how they feel.

More like a guy that found a way to profit from the stupid without creating anything of value.

(12-22-2016, 02:59 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: A significant percentage perhaps a majority of white working people don't give a rat's ass about transgender bathrooms, CO2 footprints, welfare / AFDC, geopolitics, etc. These are the province of more wealthy whites. As the nature of the typical wealthy white shifted from some sort of "Thurston Howell III" stereotype to people like those who attend Democratic political fundraising dinners on Billionaires' Row, the Democrats re-tuned their platforms accordingly. The problem with this is the typical white working stiff in Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Wheeling, etc, was essentially left behind by this shift.

The only problem with this image is that polls show that wealthy whites overwhelmingly support the Republicans. Meanwhile, many working whites do care about transgender bathrooms and other culture war gimmicks and nostrums, and very much about other scapegoats like welfare and AFDC. They are susceptible to nationalist and militarist rhetoric too, because they have vicarious pride in their nation as the top dog and top bully. This may not be true of white working class folks in the Bay Area, for the most part, but it's certainly true of the majority of middle American white working class folks. The white working stiffs are easy prey for the demogogues who actually represent no-one but the oligarchs who don't care about the people at all.

I like what Sanders is doing and going out into middle America and seeking them out, helping them to see beyond their prejudices and delusions, not by insulting them (as I might do here), but honestly explaining to them who is on who's side, really. It's not ideologues like Galen. It's not Mnuchin or Rockhead Perry or Rex Tillerson or Donald Drumpf. It's people like Bernie who are on their side, and they need to know it. More of this kind of activity will be needed.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Here's our wonderful middle American working class voter!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-22-2016, 07:57 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(12-22-2016, 05:40 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(12-22-2016, 02:59 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: A significant percentage perhaps a majority of white working people don't give a rat's ass about transgender bathrooms, CO2 footprints, welfare / AFDC, geopolitics, etc. These are the province of more wealthy whites. As the nature of the typical wealthy white shifted from some sort of "Thurston Howell III" stereotype to people like those who attend Democratic political fundraising dinners on Billionaires' Row, the Democrats re-tuned their platforms accordingly. The problem with this is the typical white working stiff in Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Wheeling, etc, was essentially left behind by this shift.

The only problem with this image is that polls show that wealthy whites overwhelmingly support the Republicans. Meanwhile, many working whites do care about transgender bathrooms and other culture war gimmicks and nostrums, and very much about other scapegoats like welfare and AFDC. They are susceptible to nationalist and militarist rhetoric too, because they have vicarious pride in their nation as the top dog and top bully. This may not be true of white working class folks in the Bay Area, for the most part, but it's certainly true of the majority of middle American white working class folks. The white working stiffs are easy prey for the demogogues who actually represent no-one but the oligarchs who don't care about the people at all.

I like what Sanders is doing and going out into middle America and seeking them out, helping them to see beyond their prejudices and delusions, not by insulting them (as I might do here), but honestly explaining to them who is on who's side, really. It's not ideologues like Galen. It's not Mnuchin or Rockhead Perry or Rex Tillerson or Donald Drumpf. It's people like Bernie who are on their side, and they need to know it. More of this kind of activity will be needed.

Eric, not sure where you are getting this notion that wealthy whites are Reps. Look at Pelosi's district.

Plus I think you misunderstood what I meant about working stiffs not caring about SJW stuff. They don't care for it. It is not their cause.

The worst of them are racists. The better ones are more interested in their economic concerns.

The polls is where I got it. Posted here some time ago.

People in SF have to pay a lot to live there. But most of them are not the wealthy. It's probably true that many of the richest tycoons get the people in middle America to vote for their Republican representatives, but themselves live in blue places like the California Coast, Connecticut, Manhattan penthouses, southern Florida....

The wealthy whites are as Republican as they've ever been. The own the country, and they get their representatives and executives in office because they own the system and deceive the people with racism and slogans of freedom.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-22-2016, 08:33 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(12-22-2016, 08:23 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(12-22-2016, 07:57 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(12-22-2016, 05:40 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Eric, not sure where you are getting this notion that wealthy whites are Reps. Look at Pelosi's district.

Plus I think you misunderstood what I meant about working stiffs not caring about SJW stuff. They don't care for it. It is not their cause.

The worst of them are racists. The better ones are more interested in their economic concerns.

The polls is where I got it. Posted here some time ago.

People in SF have to pay a lot to live there. But most of them are not the wealthy. It's probably true that many of the richest tycoons get the people in middle America to vote for their Republican representatives, but themselves live in blue places like the California Coast, Connecticut, Manhattan penthouses, southern Florida....

The wealthy whites are as Republican as they've ever been. The own the country, and they get their representatives and executives in office because they own the system and deceive the people with racism and slogans of freedom.

Eric, Pelosi's district has almost no poor people in it. It's mostly 1%ers. Why do you think Obama and Clinton were at fundraising dinners on Billionaires' Row? I know someone who made it really big in venture capital. He was at one of the Clinton dinners earlier this year, at one of the mansions there.

No district can be composed mostly of 1%ers, by definition. San Francisco voters are just more enlightened; they have proven that over and over for many decades.

Obama and Hillary Clinton were at fundraisers on Billionaire's Row because that's where the money is, and that's what the system encourages them to do. Hillary did not feel she had enough ability to appeal to the people in order to do what Bernie Sanders did. Obama went the Sanders route for much of his early campaign.

You don't go to billionaires to get votes. You go to them to get money.

The polls are clear, the rich support Republicans. The poor in blue states support Democrats. The poor and middle class in red and many purple states are fooled into supporting Republicans, because the culture war and anti-welfare slogans entrap them.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Democrats organizing. Maybe an oxymoron?

Listening to a "liberal" talk radio show the other day. A "liberal" advocate telling the host that the most important thing in the world for us all to be working on was HER cause, that of filtering trace chemicals out of the U.S. drinking water.

That's the trouble with us liberals. We often have no sense of priority. "Our" cause is always the most important of all, and we get pissed if all the other "liberals" don't agree.

Conservatives, on the other hand agree on a few key principles: 1. Authoritarianism is the best structure. 2. "White" men should run everything. 3. Money is power. It focuses their activities.
[fon‌t=Arial Black]... a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition.[/font]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Centrist Democrats want a corporate tax cut and will undermine Biden to get one Einzige 4 2,136 05-16-2021, 08:00 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Bloomberg: Why do some Democrats want to give the wealthy a tax break? Einzige 3 1,568 04-22-2021, 04:08 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  Equal time, let's laugh at the Democrats! Eric the Green 13 4,679 02-07-2021, 05:22 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Where Are The "Hardhat Democrats"? Anthony '58 1 1,161 08-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Paper ballots are hack-proof. It's time to bring them back. nebraska 23 10,350 02-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Last Post: nom
  Dayton to resume using red-light cameras after legal fight nebraska 0 1,074 01-26-2018, 06:09 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Iraq, U.S. in talks to keep American troops after Islamic State fight done nebraska 0 1,284 01-24-2018, 03:04 AM
  California Democrats want businesses to give half their tax-cut savings to state nebraska 0 1,230 01-23-2018, 07:31 AM
  Republicans, Democrats ‘swamp’ US government nebraska 0 1,326 01-14-2018, 04:28 AM
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,625 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM