Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi?
Quote:Kudos, man.  (Cue stale cinematic and cultural reference.)  I'd have to be "Good Will Hunting" to keep up that pace.

Cheers!  And nonsense, man, I go through at least a couple of books a week.  I generally find that interspersing new (nonfiction) prose material with fiction and rereads of old favorites (fiction or not) helps alleviate mental exhaustion.  And it's amazing how much time you free up when you don't watch television or play videogames.
You should try it.  Smile
(01-14-2017, 02:39 PM)SomeGuy Wrote:
Quote:Kudos, man.  (Cue stale cinematic and cultural reference.)  I'd have to be "Good Will Hunting" to keep up that pace.

Cheers!  And nonsense, man, I go through at least a couple of books a week.  I generally find that interspersing new (nonfiction) prose material with fiction and rereads of old favorites (fiction or not) helps alleviate mental exhaustion.  And it's amazing how much time you free up when you don't watch television or play videogames.

I'm retired now, and I still can't keep up that pace.  And "dense" reading challenges me as never before.  As much as I laughed out loud at times while wading through Cervantes' Don Quixote, I gave up halfway through.  The many vignettes, strung together one after the other, became too ponderous.
(01-14-2017, 03:23 PM)TeacherinExile Wrote:

I'm retired now, and I still can't keep up that pace.  And "dense" reading challenges me as never before.  As much as I laughed out loud at times while wading through Cervantes' Don Quixote, I gave up halfway through.  The many vignettes, strung together one after the other, became too ponderous.

Your choice.  Early Modern writing styles can be fairly... dense.  It takes a fair amount of work and acclimatization for modern readers to deal with.  I happen to like "big" history, which makes books like the ones I listed above more bearable, and I still make a point of switching back and forth between them and reading SF/stuff on the Internet to stay balanced.  And genuine historical texts, as opposed to contemporary (for 20th century values of same) books ABOUT history, are more difficult still, especially the first time through.  I generally don't read them more than, at most, once a month.
I cannot believe that you have latched on to one segment of the MBTI as an aspect of your personal identity that you feel the need to drag into everywhere you go, whether it is relevant or not.  "Us Fi's"?  Give me a break!

Are you planning on actually participating in the discussion(s) on this thread?

Quote:"Carefuly, Odin, pretty soon you'll start calling it the Cathedral and then your membership in the Movement (always provisional because of your pudgy, pasty, penis-person-of-poweredness) will be revoked for sure!"

How was this an insult?  Do you even know what it means?  How did the moderator even get involved?  How did you?
Weren't you going to ignore me?  Go away, I am tired of listening to your tedious, self-indulgent nonsense.  Or, at the very least, contribute something relevant to the actual thread.
This is how you get an ulcer.
Quote:But I cannot teach something you have no idea about.

Ignoring your suitability to the role for a second, isn't that the definition of teaching?  What would be the point of "teaching" someone something they already knew?
Quote:Not that I can see no. You have yet to show a shred of sensitivity to me or in any other posts I have seen you posting to others. So I will not bother. If I do not see value for my time why should I bother answering your questions in full?

That's a good question.  Why are you here again?
Seriously, Trump as Berlusconi, yay or nay?
Have fun!  Remember, woosah!   Smile
(01-13-2017, 10:39 AM)SomeGuy Wrote: Dave, Eric, Odin, and Others,

And now we're all back to social signalling.  Rolleyes

Of course we are.  As humans, we're wired that way.  Facts are only important when impressions and opinions fail entirely, hence Churchill's quip about trying everything else first.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
It's quite alright, Dave, as long as you know that that's what you are doing.

And don't have kids.
(01-14-2017, 07:03 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 10:39 AM)SomeGuy Wrote: Dave, Eric, Odin, and Others,

And now we're all back to social signalling.  Rolleyes

Of course we are.  As humans, we're wired that way.  Facts are only important when impressions and opinions fail entirely, hence Churchill's quip about trying everything else first.

Speak for yourself, you neurotypical!
(01-14-2017, 07:28 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:

And don't have kids.

Or, you know, any friends in the same state. Who needs 'em!  Rolleyes
(01-13-2017, 10:05 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 09:56 PM)Dan Wrote: Guys could you try to cool it a little, and try to avoid personal attacks

Your warnings do not work, Dan. They back off a bit then back at each others throats.

There are no fainting hearts in this discussion, so admonishments are not really needed.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
The comparison of Trump to Hitler and Mussolini is way overdone. I think that a better analogy would be Andrew Jackson.
 … whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Phil 4:8 (ESV)
(01-14-2017, 08:57 PM)radind Wrote: The comparison of Trump to Hitler and Mussolini is way overdone. I think that a better analogy would be Andrew Jackson.

The constituencies are certainly similar.  Granted, fewer small farmers, but welcome to the early 21st century.
(01-14-2017, 08:34 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 10:05 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(01-13-2017, 09:56 PM)Dan Wrote: Guys could you try to cool it a little, and try to avoid personal attacks

Your warnings do not work, Dan. They back off a bit then back at each others throats.

There are no fainting hearts in this discussion, so admonishments are not really needed.

To be honest, I think she followed me in here because I apparently hurt her feelings in the other thread.  Sorry about that.
See, I post, and she appears!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Prominent Republicans call for Donald Trump to drop out of the nomination Bronsin 16 21,937 10-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Webmaster