Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Careers ruined or at risk from accusations of sexual misconduct
This forum is for prominent persons fired, removed under pressure, or otherwise disgraced for sexual harassment.

One pattern of a Crisis Era is that certain behaviors that used to be sloughed off in an Awakening Era or an Unraveling Era are no longer tolerated. We had Bill Cosby a couple years ago; NBC, which was contemplating production of a new show with him, stopped production. The less said of Jerry Sandusky and Dennis Hastert, the better. Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly got dumped at FoX Propaganda Channel.

But the heads seem to be falling from the chopping block, so to speak. Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Charlie Rose, Sylvester Stallone, John Lithgow, Matt Lauer, Garrison Keillor. Roy Moore, should he be defeated in the polls, would qualify then, as he would if expelled from the Senate. Political figures Al Franken and John Conyers hang onto political office by a thread. All so far are male and most are comparatively old. For some, their careers may have been over (Sylvester Stallone had retired from film acting). This may be one way for younger executives to advance, the time-honored practice of greasing the skids for an older boss who isn't up to the task.

I have yet to see giant firms in commerce cast people off for such... no investment bankers or oil barons yet. Such companies are more secretive about decisions to hire and fire. I have yet to se any prominent college professors or heads of non-profits dumped (aside from PBS and NPR which are non-profit media), either.

Don't get me wrong. Sexual harassment is not a perquisite of high office in commerce, academia, politics, or media. People are being ruined as if they were exposed as Commies during the Red Scare of the 1950s. But there seems to be more documentation now.

I suggest that we have some documentation.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Good idea for a list.  It seems the voices of prominent liberals are being silenced.  As far as I can tell, the right wing couldn't care less if someone is a sexual fiend as long as that fiend is in favor of enriching the 1%.
(11-29-2017, 01:40 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: This forum is for prominent persons fired, removed under pressure, or otherwise disgraced for sexual harassment.

One pattern of a Crisis Era is that certain behaviors that used to be sloughed off in an Awakening Era or an Unraveling Era are no longer tolerated. We had Bill Cosby a couple years ago; NBC, which was contemplating production of a new show with him, stopped production. The less said of Jerry Sandusky and Dennis Hastert, the better. Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly got dumped at FoX Propaganda Channel.

But the heads seem to be falling from the chopping block, so to speak. Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Charlie Rose, Sylvester Stallone, John Lithgow, Matt Lauer, Garrison Keillor. Roy Moore, should he be defeated in the polls, would qualify then, as he would if expelled from the Senate. Political figures Al Franken and John Conyers hang onto political office by a thread. All so far are male and most are comparatively old. For some, their careers may have been over (Sylvester Stallone had retired from film acting).  This may be one way for younger executives to advance, the time-honored practice of greasing the skids for an older boss who isn't up to the task.  

I have yet to see giant firms in commerce cast people off for such... no investment bankers or oil barons yet. Such companies are more secretive about decisions to hire and fire. I have yet to se any prominent college professors or heads of non-profits dumped (aside from PBS and NPR which are non-profit media), either.

Don't get me wrong. Sexual harassment is not a perquisite of high office in commerce, academia, politics, or media. People are being ruined as if they were exposed as Commies during the Red Scare of the 1950s. But there seems to be more documentation now.

Documentation or admission of guilt would be good.  So far, we have that for Franken and Biden.
(11-29-2017, 03:06 PM)rds Wrote: Good idea for a list.  It seems the voices of prominent liberals are being silenced.  As far as I can tell, the right wing couldn't care less if someone is a sexual fiend as long as that fiend is in favor of enriching the 1%.

This is an issue that won't die quickly.  If conservative women continue to support offenders because they support their political agenda, then they are just 20 years behind the feminists who supported Bill Clinton for the same reason ... which begs the question: is there a split in society that has actually created a schism in the saeculum?  Is the RW running on a different timeline?  If the RW is still 3T, then we have bigger problems than this, big as it is.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(11-30-2017, 03:03 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 01:40 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: ... Don't get me wrong. Sexual harassment is not a perquisite of high office in commerce, academia, politics, or media. People are being ruined as if they were exposed as Commies during the Red Scare of the 1950s. But there seems to be more documentation now.

Documentation or admission of guilt would be good.  So far, we have that for Franken and Biden.

Biden?  His only offense, if that actually qualifies as such, is his handling of the Anita Hill accusations against Clarence Thomas.  Is that a disqualifier: no!  His age, on the other hand, really is.  We may have the second case of an older President with dementia.  Trump is certainly coming apart at the seams, and we know that Reagan was failing during his second term.  Another old guy is just not in the cards.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(11-30-2017, 01:28 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 01:40 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: ... Don't get me wrong. Sexual harassment is not a perquisite of high office in commerce, academia, politics, or media. People are being ruined as if they were exposed as Commies during the Red Scare of the 1950s. But there seems to be more documentation now.

Biden?  His only offense, if that actually qualifies as such, is his handling of the Anita Hill accusations against Clarence Thomas.  Is that a disqualifier: no!  His age, on the other hand, really is.  We may have the second case of an older President with dementia.  Trump is certainly coming apart at the seams, and we know that Reagan was failing during his second term.  Another old guy is just not in the cards.

Let's put it this way:  if I were to take a picture with Biden (heaven forbid), I'd make sure my gradeschool daughter was on the other side of me from him.

(11-30-2017, 02:33 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-30-2017, 01:28 PM)David Horn Wrote:

Let's put it this way:  if I were to take a picture with Biden (heaven forbid), I'd make sure my gradeschool daughter was on the other side of me from him.

Oh yeah. He was hitting on the little girls right in front of their very powerful parents. Got it.
At the New Yorker

Ryan Lizza
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

...and Ray Moore!

Tavis Smiley is suspended from his interview program. Some other guy named Simmons in some other field; don't remember more.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Mr. Simmons is the founder of Def Jam recordings; he's a pop music mogul.

Dustin Hoffman:
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/dustin.../id/831922

Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold of TX:
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/...430412.php

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
A Democratic candidate hoping to flip a hotly contested congressional seat in Kansas has dropped out of the race after allegations that she sexually harassed a male subordinate resurfaced during her campaign.

Andrea Ramsey, 57, who was running to unseat Republican Kevin Yoder in a district that includes Kansas City in 2018, is one of the few, if only, women in public life to step down thus far amid a national conversation about sex and power dynamics in the workplace. The vast majority of those accused of sexual misconduct have been men in public-facing industries like media, Hollywood and politics.

In a defiant letter posted on Facebook Friday, Ramsey defended herself from the charges made by a former subordinate years ago and blamed her decision on the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the campaign arm of Democrats in the House. Ramsey said that the DCCC had decided “not to support our promising campaign.”

Dear Citizens of Kansas’ Third Congressional District,For the past six months, it has been my privilege and honor to…

Posted by Andrea Ramsey for Congress on Friday, December 15, 2017
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powe...fed2daf846

“In its rush to claim the high ground in our roiling national conversation about harassment, the Democratic Party has implemented a zero tolerance standard,” Ramsey wrote. “As a first-time candidate, I am disappointed and disillusioned by the political process.”

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Dustin Hoffman was apparently doing this when Carter was President -- back in the Boom Awakening.

The Sexual Revolution was an unmitigated disaster for children. That's when male homosexuality expressed itself as the now-disgraced NAMbLA (North American Man-Boy Love Association)... not to say that little girls weren't prey for men, too. The repudiation of predatory sexuality proceeded sporadically and with practical reversals through the degenerate Culture Wars when such behavior was likely to be covered up if there was no dead body with signs of sexual misconduct lying around. Bureaucratic organizations covered up sexual harassment with insurance settlements that made the cost of doing business needlessly expensive.

Child sexual abuse was never really legal during the Boom Awakening, but it was easy to get away with. If one turned out profitable films as did Roman Polanski, one could get away with great misconduct. And let's not forget the First Fornicator, Bill Clinton.

The times are changing, and they are changing fast. Sure, we have same-sex marriage -- sure, because mainstream gays and lesbians threw the perverts in front of the bus. Not that that was wrong. Homosexuality is no more a choice than (pardon the repetition) Asperger's syndrome. I have no use for violence against gays and lesbians, having been mistaken for a homosexual and threatened with a beating. Aside from same-sex marriage and acceptance of transgender rights, we are entering a more repressive time for sexuality.

I doubt that we will quite return to arranged marriages, but there is good reason for dating sites that function in many ways like Yenta* in Fiddler on the Roof. There might be good reason to consider dates involving co-workers, as people get to know co-workers very well. Just avoid dangerous obsession.

The message coming out of the entertainment, news, and political sectors so clearly now may be less visible in academia and Corporate America... sexual harassment is no longer a prerogative of power. The idea that sexual harassment and exploitation demonstrate the reality of alpha males (mostly) may be repudiated. It is happening fast. Rapidly-moving events and trends show the quickening pace of a Crisis Era.

*Maybe I could have used an encounter with someone of the type back in the late '70s or early '80s. I needed to get involved with someone who would push me some and be able to say NO to me when I became a crashing bore. Probably some feminist... but any woman who got mixed up with me would have become a feminist if she wasn/t one to begin with.

'Super Size Me' filmmaker admits to sexual misconduct
by Alanna Petroff @AlannaPetroff
December 15, 2017: 8:10 AM ET
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/media/mo...index.html

Morgan Spurlock says he's part of the problem. The filmmaker behind "Super Size Me" has admitted to sexual misconduct in a confession titled "I am part of the problem."

The confession, which Morgan Spurlock published to his social media accounts, details episodes that started in college but extend into his professional career.

"I've come to understand after months of these revelations, that I am not some innocent bystander, I am also a part of the problem," he wrote, referencing the recent wave of sexual misconduct allegations against prominent men.

"If I'm going [to] truly represent myself as someone who has built a career on finding the truth, then it's time for me to be truthful as well," he said.

Spurlock's publicist confirmed the authenticity of the post to CNN. Spurlock is stepping down effective immediately as CEO of his production company, Warrior Poets, according to a note from his partners at the company, Jeremy Chilnick and Matthew Galkin, that was obtained by CNN.

Spurlock said in his confession that he called a former female assistant "hot pants" or "sex pants" in the office, only realizing it was degrading when she came to him asking for a "settlement."

"I paid for peace of mind," he wrote. "I paid for her silence and cooperation. Most of all, I paid so I could remain who I was."

Related: The media men who have been accused of sexual misconduct

He also described a sexual encounter with a woman in college who later accused him of rape. He had considered the sex to be consensual.

Spurlock said he "didn't know what to do" when the woman started to cry during sex. She had said earlier in the night, before they took off their clothes, that she did not want to have sex.

"We stopped having sex and I rolled beside her," Spurlock wrote in his account of the incident. "I tried to comfort her. To make her feel better. I thought I was doing ok, I believed she was feeling better. She believed she was raped."

"There were no charges or investigations, but she wrote about the instance in a short story writing class and called me by name. A female friend who was in the class told be [sic] about it afterwards. I was floored," he wrote.

Spurlock also admitted to infidelity with "every wife and girlfriend I have ever had," and said he was prone to excessive drinking. He said he had suffered sexual abuse as a child.

He described the note as "an apology" in a follow-up message on Facebook, saying that he wants to be "part of the solution."

"By recognizing and openly admitting what I've done to further this terrible situation, I hope to empower the change within myself ... I will do better," he said.

"Super Size Me" was released in 2004 and later nominated for an Academy Award. The film, which brought attention to the dangers of fast food, helped Spurlock launch a film and television career that included a show on CNN.

Spurlock is the latest in a series of men to admit or be accused of sexual harassment. Allegations of misconduct against Hollywood titan Harvey Weinstein published in the New Yorker and the New York Times earlier this year served as a catalyst. More women and some men have since come forward with allegations against celebrities and businessmen, including actor Kevin Spacey, comedian Louis C.K. and former NBC anchor Matt Lauer.

Through a spokeswoman, Weinstein has "unequivocally denied" all allegations of rape. Spacey, Louis C.K. and Lauer have issued apologies.

Time magazine has named "The Silence Breakers" as its Person of the Year.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-16-2017, 04:26 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Dustin Hoffman was apparently doing this when Carter was President -- back in the Boom Awakening.

Yes, but the proper term is "Consciousness Revolution." The boomers were not the only generation greatly involved in it and awakened. Younger GIs and Silents were as well.

Quote:The Sexual Revolution was an unmitigated disaster for children.

I doubt there was less abuse before the Awakening. It may have had different styles, and was more covered up, especially in families; and women were expected to take it. The Awakening also brought feminism forward, which has in turn brought forward the me-too phenomenon of today.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
https://nypost.com/2017/12/16/nevada-con...legations/

Nevada Rep. Ruben Kihuen announced Saturday he will not seek re-election in the wake of sexual-harassment allegations against him.

“It is in the best interests of my family and my constituents to complete my term in Congress and not seek re-election,” the Democrat told The Las Vegas Review-Journal in a statement.

On Friday, the House Ethics Committee launched an investigation against Kihuen following accusations by two women. One of them, an aide to his 2016 campaign, said she resigned after Kihuen repeatedly propositioned her for sex and touched her thighs, BuzzFeed reported.

My Comment: people being drummed out in a witch hunt. No feeling of forgiveness after apologies; presumed guilty; no rights for the accused; no day in Court. No proportionality of penalities related to the alleged abuses.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-16-2017, 11:21 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: My Comment: people being drummed out in a witch hunt. No feeling of forgiveness after apologies; presumed guilty; no rights for the accused; no day in Court. No proportionality of penalities related to the alleged abuses.

I tried to have this conversation with our resident shrink, but she was all-in for group punishment of all men for all "their" crimes.  Americans have a fairness streak.  That won't last for long.
If one is not culpable, one can stand one's ground. Suits for slander and libel are remedies. If an element of blackmail is involved, then that discredits the accuser. I expect some false accusations.

There is a way to avoid trouble. Marry early and stay monogamous.

The backlash is already starting, and women are getting on board with it. Let's hope the swing back stops short of "anything goes". We need to be done with that for good.
(12-16-2017, 04:26 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Child sexual abuse was never really legal during the Boom Awakening, but it was easy to get away with. If one turned out profitable films as did Roman Polanski, one could get away with great misconduct. And let's not forget the First Fornicator, Bill Clinton.

-- don't forget Mr Bill's role model, Kennedy. Sexual harrassment/abuse goes waaaaay back. But l agree with the premise in your op- ever since Weinstein got outed it's like a dam has busted.  As you say, in a Crisis Era, certain behaviors are no longer tolerated
Heart my 2 yr old Niece/yr old Nephew 2020 Heart

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unkind, Risk Averse and Untrusting beechnut79 13 9,742 07-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund