Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congratulations, Alina Zagitova!
Video 
A fifteen-year-old ice-dancer, Alina Zagitova, has won Olympic Gold on behalf of the Olympic Athletes from Russia team, the Russian athletes not blacklisted for the doping scandal.

She becomes, so far as I know, the first prominent person who (born 2002 or 2003) has no connection whatsoever to the 20th century, which creates the generational angle.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/watch-ali...ogram.html

Edit: she was born on May 18, 2002
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

I know that I'm posting on a thread that hasn't been replied in nearly two years, but you could make an argument for Billie Eilish, who turns 18 in five days, as she is the first artist not only born in the 2000's, but also after 9/11, to chart on Billboard.
OK. Of course there are other notables... maybe children of royal families -- notable from birth for who they are.

At this point there should be plenty of child film and TV stars, and pop musicians. Of course, some criminal offenders. The athletes, college and pro, should start to emerge.

On the other hand, note that the late-wave X are dropping out of athletic performance except in golf. The wise ones go into coaching, sports administration, broadcasting, etc. Heck, early-wave Millennial pro athletes seem to be dropping out of athletic performance. Justin Verlander is still amazing, but he is a rarity.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(12-13-2019, 09:45 AM)Ghost Wrote: I know that I'm posting on a thread that hasn't been replied in nearly two years, but you could make an argument for Billie Eilish, who turns 18 in five days, as she is the first artist not only born in the 2000's, but also after 9/11, to chart on Billboard.

About a year ago, I went to see Florence and the Machine.  I say I went to see her/them, but half the audience was there to see the warmup act: Billie Eilish.  She performed solo, with minimal backup, and didn't even use her own stage setup.  I guess she wasn't a big enough act at the time to get that treatment.  But when she finished, her young fans left (some with parents in  tow).  It was a weird feeling to see all the empty seats for the main show.

That said, it was obvious she had talent, but she didn't click with me or the people I was with.  My wife's cousin's granddaughter, on the other hand, was apoplectic that she wasn't invited.  Eilish started to hit big about 2 months later.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Another good one is Greta Thunberg, who turns 17 in a little under three weeks, as she was named Time Magazine's 2019 Person of the Year.

Maybe there could be something like this for each field:
- For sports, it could very well be Alina Zagitova like what you said, but she's ranked #16290 on Famous Birthdays. I actually didn't know who she was until I saw this thread. I'm however leaning towards putting down Coco Gauff.
- For music, it's Billie Eilish.
- For politics, it's Greta Thunberg.
(12-13-2019, 12:51 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 09:45 AM)Ghost Wrote: I know that I'm posting on a thread that hasn't been replied in nearly two years, but you could make an argument for Billie Eilish, who turns 18 in five days, as she is the first artist not only born in the 2000's, but also after 9/11, to chart on Billboard.

About a year ago, I went to see Florence and the Machine.  I say I went to see her/them, but half the audience was there to see the warmup act: Billie Eilish.  She performed solo, with minimal backup, and didn't even use her own stage setup.  I guess she wasn't a big enough act at the time to get that treatment.  But when she finished, her young fans left (some with parents in  tow).  It was a weird feeling to see all the empty seats for the main show.

That said, it was obvious she had talent, but she didn't click with me or the people I was with.  My wife's cousin's granddaughter, on the other hand, was apoplectic that she wasn't invited.  Eilish started to hit big about 2 months later.

I'm not interested in her stuff either.
(12-14-2019, 09:08 AM)Ghost Wrote: Another good one is Greta Thunberg, who turns 17 in a little under three weeks, as she was named Time Magazine's 2019 Person of the Year.

Maybe there could be something like this for each field:
- For sports, it could very well be Alina Zagitova like what you said, but she's ranked #16290 on Famous Birthdays. I actually didn't know who she was until I saw this thread. I'm however leaning towards putting down Coco Gauff.
- For music, it's Billie Eilish.
- For politics, it's Greta Thunberg.

There are no fifteen-year-olds in major-league or NCAA sports. It won't be long before someone born in 2001 makes it to major-league baseball, and the first ones are approaching the ends of their NCAA apprenticeships before signing fat contracts in the NFL and NBA. 

Politics? The Millennial Generation has yet to make a mark... not that it isn't on the brink. Many high-powered political careers begin in their thirties.  If the 2020 election goes as I expect, then I expect the early wave of the Millennial Generation to take House and Senate seats... not to mention a Governorship here or there, and maybe some mayoral slots.  Elective office for people born after 2000? Not for another few years, at the least.

Achievements in science and mathematics can come early, as a pattern. It could be that the very young do not know what is well understood to be impossible. (Heck, I once toyed with Fermat's Last Theorem... until I saw my efforts going nowhere. Just because something seems obvious does  not mean that an easy proof is available).