Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Operation "Crimson Contagion" Was Simulated Last Year
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...r-BB11pYY1

Begins

WASHINGTON — The outbreak of the respiratory virus began in China and was quickly spread around the world by air travelers, who ran high fevers. In the United States, it was first detected in Chicago, and 47 days later, the World Health Organization declared a pandemic. By then it was too late: 110 million Americans were expected to become ill, leading to 7.7 million hospitalized and 586,000 dead.

That scenario, code-named “Crimson Contagion,” was simulated by the Trump administration’s Department of Health and Human Services in a series of exercises that ran from last January to August.

The simulation’s sobering results — contained in a draft report dated October 2019 that has not previously been reported — drove home just how underfunded, underprepared and uncoordinated the federal government would be for a life-or-death battle with a virus for which no treatment existed.

I always find it curious things like this happen, and later we learn it was "simulated" right before the event.  Man, this is a theme I can't even refer to properly. If I sound like Alex Jones, I just don't care.  It is part of my nature to investigate. How the f is this thing we are now experiencing, it was SIMULATED less than a year ago.  And it showed we are not prepared for it.  Then it happens?  wtf is that
People seem to think the future has to follow their ideology.  The first thing that comes to mind reading after about Crimson Contagion is the Japanese war game before Midway.  The simulated Americans ambushed the Japanese and sunk carriers.  Yamoto didn't like the result, so he ordered the game replayed to show a better result more in line with what he wanted.

American war games before World War II where the west coast force left their battleships behind and sped in the carriers to launch an air attack on Pearl Harbor were similar.  The Americans too ignored the results of their effort.

It seems human.  People are often blinded by their ideology.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(03-20-2020, 04:42 AM)TheNomad Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...r-BB11pYY1

Begins

WASHINGTON — The outbreak of the respiratory virus began in China and was quickly spread around the world by air travelers, who ran high fevers. In the United States, it was first detected in Chicago, and 47 days later, the World Health Organization declared a pandemic. By then it was too late: 110 million Americans were expected to become ill, leading to 7.7 million hospitalized and 586,000 dead.

That scenario, code-named “Crimson Contagion,” was simulated by the Trump administration’s Department of Health and Human Services in a series of exercises that ran from last January to August.

The simulation’s sobering results — contained in a draft report dated October 2019 that has not previously been reported — drove home just how underfunded, underprepared and uncoordinated the federal government would be for a life-or-death battle with a virus for which no treatment existed.

I always find it curious things like this happen, and later we learn it was "simulated" right before the event.  Man, this is a theme I can't even refer to properly. If I sound like Alex Jones, I just don't care.  It is part of my nature to investigate. How the f is this thing we are now experiencing, it was SIMULATED less than a year ago.  And it showed we are not prepared for it.  Then it happens?  wtf is that

Given we're doing way better than in the simulation, I'd say the training exercise helped.  Seems like it helped us become more prepared and coordinated, and the funding wasn't an issue after all.
(03-20-2020, 02:39 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: Given we're doing way better than in the simulation, I'd say the training exercise helped.  Seems like it helped us become more prepared and coordinated, and the funding wasn't an issue after all.

I don't see the federal response as being prepared and coordinated at all, and I know I'm not alone.  The administration seems more concerned with denying to minimize economic impact than preserving human lives.  

Funding?  It is too soon to tell.  The Republicans can do borrow and spend until the election.  We'll see what happens then.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(03-22-2020, 07:37 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 02:39 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: Given we're doing way better than in the simulation, I'd say the training exercise helped.  Seems like it helped us become more prepared and coordinated, and the funding wasn't an issue after all.

I don't see the federal response as being prepared and coordinated at all, and I know I'm not alone.  The administration seems more concerned with denying to minimize economic impact than preserving human lives.  

Funding?  It is too soon to tell.  The Republicans can do borrow and spend until the election.  We'll see what happens then.

I see a lot of the recommended response as contra-indicated. Do we really need to bail-out big business another time?  Wasn't the last mondo-tax-cut enough!  How much transfer to the top can we tolerate as a society?

And don't get me started on the efficacy of the Trump Virus Response. He has still not officially declared the wartime emergency powers he talks about every day. He doesn't want to make people think: bad Trump!  It's clearly sad. That, and doing nothing puts the response in someone else's court.  Add to that his desire to pass the money to the private sector.  It's sleazy in the extreme.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(03-22-2020, 09:48 AM)David Horn Wrote:

I see a lot of the recommended response as contra-indicated. Do we really need to bail-out big business another time?  Wasn't the last mondo-tax-cut enough!  How much transfer to the top can we tolerate as a society?

And don't get me started on the efficacy of the Trump Virus Response. He has still not officially declared the wartime emergency powers he talks about every day. He doesn't want to make people think: bad Trump!  It's clearly sad. That, and doing nothing puts the response in someone else's court.  Add to that his desire to pass the money to the private sector.  It's sleazy in the extreme.
The response has been put into the individual states’ pocket. Isn’t that the way it should be anyway?
(03-22-2020, 10:49 AM)beechnut79 Wrote: The response has been put into the individual states’ pocket. Isn’t that the way it should be anyway?

It was the way it was originally supposed to be.  We have got in the habit of responding to big stuff at the national level.  As a result, the states are much less ready to handle it.  Consistency would be nice.  

If the federal government is taken over by someone who can’t perceive of problems which require the handling of a big government, where does this put us?

I find myself in a strange situation on this... because I loathe what is there now and just about everything attached to it.  But, this whole thing about minimizing fear, I think that is right.  If people are gonna die anyway, and Federal Govt is really about the group rather than the individual (it IS, please don't say it isn't), we should expect nothing less than this.  Trying to minimize fear because it helps nothing.

I do agree, however, and this has been from day one from a president that is never seeming concerned about how anyone feels or is afraid of anything, we are not experiencing "leadership".  When the reporter asked what the president had for those afraid, he did not approach that the right way.  Vile, as always.  No respect for anyone on a human level.  That was wrong.

If you mean they seem to be concerned with deflecting they weren't prepared, that is true... but living this long now, every administration does this.  Reagan denied AIDS/HIV completely.  Wouldn't even address it.  Deny deny deny.  But I expect nothing less from politicians.  I did, however, see something very different in Mayor Pete and that's why I campaigned for him.  When he dropped out, I dropped out.
China has a high population density and free-wheeling commerce. Safety standards are low, as those might get in the way of commerce. So what happens if CORVID-19 goes through a large city on a big market day? You guessed it.

Iran has huge religious celebrations, the biggest ones at Qom, the Shi'ite Rome. Figure that many people attending such religious celebrations are in poor health, any virus can spread wildly among people of compromised health. Iran has been ravaged.

Suppose that the outbreak had happened in the autumn in America, when Americans have some big mass-meetings. Suppose that the World Series is between the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers (my pick for the 2020 World Series as the most likely match-up). Someone from Greater Los Angeles could contract the virus in New York or someone from Greater New York could contract the disease at the World Series. And then there is Disneyland...

There are also some big events -- the Big Game between Texas and Oklahoma, Michigan and Ohio State, Alabama and Florida... oh, oh! We may be fortunate that CORVID-19 struck in the late winter instead of when people are more likely to be out and about as the temperatures warm. Kids on Spring Break. Well, this time there probably won't be the big beach parties that allow someone from Minnesota to spread the virus to someone from Massachusetts. .
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden ramps up US refugee admissions to 125,000 per year random3 14 2,196 02-07-2021, 03:52 AM
Last Post: random3
  US Treasury says government borrowing will hit 8-year high nebraska 0 1,272 01-30-2018, 09:41 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Tax on medical devices to resume after 2-year suspension nebraska 0 730 01-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: nebraska