Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Coronavirus
(07-01-2020, 07:47 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Dammit, there need be legal consequences for going without a mask -- tickets and fines. Maybe points as if for moving violations is one drove to where one is ticketed. Stay at home unless you have a mask to wear when you get there must mean that.

So many places have extremely low compliance, so anything approaching enforcement is a nonstarter.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(07-01-2020, 07:47 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Dammit, there need be legal consequences for going without a mask -- tickets and fines. Maybe points as if for moving violations is one drove to where one is ticketed. Stay at home unless you have a mask to wear when you get there must mean that.

That's easier said than done. Of course there is the nonothing contingent who think the virus is a hoax. However, there are debt serfs who don't have enough money for a mask and Drump is making them go back to work. Another problem is the US doesn't do stuff like make many masks here because profits. I ordered masks in January and didn't get a thing until April. Here's the deal. Covid-19 has shown the US as a failed state. Please lower your expectations such that one expects the same results as in say Afghanistan. That should save a bit of anguish and astonishment.
---Value Added Cool
(07-01-2020, 08:11 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:

That's easier said than done. Of course there is the nonothing contingent who think the virus is a hoax. However, there are debt serfs who don't have enough money for a mask and Drump is making them go back to work. Another problem is the US doesn't do stuff like make many masks here because profits. I ordered masks in January and didn't get a thing until April. Here's the deal. Covid-19 has shown the US as a failed state. Please lower your expectations such that one expects the same results as in say Afghanistan. That should save a bit of anguish and astonishment.

True. I am in no way involved in drafting the laws.  Laws have meaning only if there be consequences for non-compliance; otherwise law is nothing more than persuasion. 

People used to believe that drunk driving was not the menace that it is... but now the laws are clear. Maybe they go too far... that if you take your car keys into your car while you are drunk and sit in the car you are violating DWI laws. If you so much as turn on the radio or the heater while you are drunk, then you are in violation of DWI laws. 

We have had a disaster that begins with a President unwilling to contradict his most fanatical supporters, I got one mask just for giving blood and kept it for about three weeks... and the hospital gave me a cloth mask to replace that mask (which was wearing out and beginning to stink)... that I still have and use.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Whoever is driving the stock market has assumed that COVID-19 is over -- at least as far as the economy is concerned. Every epidemiologist -- in fact, every MD -- has warned that things are getting worse, and the economy will have to be slowed again to prevent massive rates of infection and death. So far, the science types have been dead-on. So why are the money folks so completely on the opposite track? Will we be dying to keep the rich rich?
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(07-02-2020, 11:59 AM)David Horn Wrote: Whoever is driving the stock market has assumed that COVID-19 is over -- at least as far as the economy is concerned.  Every epidemiologist -- in fact, every MD -- has warned that things are getting worse, and the economy will have to be slowed again to prevent massive rates of infection and death.  So far, the science types have been dead-on.  So why are the money folks so completely on the opposite track? Will we be dying to keep the rich rich?

People investing ten years ago (when Obama was President, as I did) were opportunists. People investing while Trump is President are optimists. 

I would be selling noe.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(07-02-2020, 11:59 AM)David Horn Wrote: Whoever is driving the stock market has assumed that COVID-19 is over -- at least as far as the economy is concerned.  Every epidemiologist -- in fact, every MD -- has warned that things are getting worse, and the economy will have to be slowed again to prevent massive rates of infection and death.  So far, the science types have been dead-on.  So why are the money folks so completely on the opposite track? Will we be dying to keep the rich rich?

I think the stimulus package has separated the big corporations and the rich from the impacts of the economic slump such that the burden does not fall on them.  It will fall on the little people.  I don't know that this will last, but for the time being the fat cats are happy.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
Most new cases reported in US states:
July 1 / July 2
Texas 8240 / 7535
Florida 6563 / 10,109
California 6497 / 9352
Arizona 4877 / 3333
Georgia 2946 / 3472
Louisiana 2041 / 1383
Tennessee 1806 / 1575
South Carolina 1520 / 1782
North Carolina 1256 / 1855
Alabama 917 / 1149
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

World, July 1 / July 2:
USA 51097 / 57236
Brazil 44884 / 47984
India 19428 / 21948
South Africa 8124 / 8728
Russia 6556 / 6760
Mexico 5432 / 5681
Colombia 4163 / 4101
Pakistan 4133 / 4339
Bangladesh 3775 / 4019
Saudi Arabia 3402 / 3383
Peru 3264 / 3527
Argentina 2667 / 2744
Chile 2650 / 2498
Iran 2549 / 2652
Iraq 2415 / 2184
Ecuador 1825 / 1211
Egypt 1503 / 1485
Indonesia 1385 / 1624
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

July 2:
Kazakhstan 1509
Oman 1361
Turkey 1186
Bolivia 1008
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
A CNN article on COVUS 19 that pushes how releasing lockdowns before bringing the caseload down is a bad idea.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
[Image: bd0195be01310cbce2015f532574854a64171045...=600&h=372]

Allusion to Vincent's Starry Night. 

[Image: 300px-Van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg]

The word disaster is literally derived from the astrological concept that bad positions of the stars in people's lives bring such calamities as sudden death, bankruptcy, criminal convictions, and perhaps even ship sinkings. 

In the case of people making a pilgrimage to see the Great and Glorious Leader celebrate the Fourth -- for some that celebration could be their last celebration of the Fourth. COVID-19 kills. If I took no chances with AIDS, I would take none with COVID-19.

New cases in US states July 4

Florida 11,458
Texas 5382
California 3718
Georgia 2826
Arizona 2695
South Carolina 1854
Tennessee 1428
North Carolina 1092
Alabama 997
Mississippi 990

USA 45,182
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I can understand people taking some risks to protect or heal a beloved pet (five cases associated with a veterinary clinic)... but patronizing a 'girly bar'  would seem without redeeming merit.

Quote:DETROIT – On Sunday the Wayne County Public Health Division confirmed a total of 13 cases of COVID-19 are connected to the Playhouse Club in Romulus. Of these 13 cases, 12 are employees or patrons of the club and one confirmed case was an employee of a Checkers restaurant in Romulus.

The county’s communicable disease team recently completed its case investigation and tracing for these confirmed cases. Those testing positive have been instructed to self-isolate for 14 days and until their next COVID-19 test shows no sign of the disease.

The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan has risen to 65,533 as of Sunday morning, including 5,972 deaths, state officials report.

Anyone who visited or worked at the Playhouse Club between June 17 and July 1, or worked at or patronized the Romulus Checkers between June 27 and July 4, should contact the Wayne County Health Division at 734-727-7078.

“It is imperative all people who visited these two establishments during the exposure window call and cooperate with our communicable disease team so that we can understand the extent of the outbreak,” said Carol Austerberry, Wayne County Public Health Officer.

Patrons of either establishment who were potentially exposed between these dates and are symptomatic or non-symptomatic are encouraged to call the Wayne County Health Division to report their contact, get tested by a healthcare provider as soon as possible, and self-quarantine at home.

“We understand that during this holiday weekend it is difficult to refrain from gathering with friends and family,” said Austerberry. “But if you must, please follow some simple precautions to limit the spread of COVID-19. Stay six-feet apart, avoid large gatherings, wash your hands with soap and water frequently, and stay home if you are not feeling well.”

For more information and updates on Wayne County’s COVID-19 response visit http://www.waynecounty.com or call 734-287-7870.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loca...estaurant/
(report associated with WDIV-TV, NBC-4, Detroit).

As of today:

U.S. population as a percent of the world's population: 4.5%

U.S. COVID-19 cases as a percent of the world's total cases: 25.4%

Hmmm.
[fon‌t=Arial Black]... a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition.[/font]
(07-05-2020, 12:25 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: I can understand people taking some risks to protect or heal a beloved pet (five cases associated with a veterinary clinic)... but patronizing a 'girly bar'  would seem without redeeming merit.

Humans do share a desire to spread genetic information that leads to all sorts of crazy behavior. This one cannot really be said to have 'merit', but is understandable.
Bars opening up are said to be one of the worst situations for spreading the virus. Clearly, quarantining interferes with young single people getting laid. After a few months, Rosie Palm just doesn't do the job.
[fon‌t=Arial Black]... a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition.[/font]
(07-05-2020, 09:00 PM)TnT Wrote: Bars opening up are said to be one of the worst situations for spreading the virus.  Clearly, quarantining interferes with young single people getting laid.  After a few months, Rosie Palm just doesn't do the job.

It would take a major event to prevent young single people from getting laid.  Is an event like the virus that potent?  They are apt to find a way.  Wink
(07-06-2020, 12:02 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 09:00 PM)TnT Wrote: Bars opening up are said to be one of the worst situations for spreading the virus.  Clearly, quarantining interferes with young single people getting laid.  After a few months, Rosie Palm just doesn't do the job.

It would take a major event to prevent young single people from getting laid.  Is an event like the virus that potent?  They are apt to find a way.  Wink

I did not get implicit details on what goes on at the Playhouse Club in Romulus (suburban Detroit), Michigan. It sounds like the place to go if you want some really-lowbrow entertainment. Bars sound like perfect places for the spread of COVID-19  because they typically are crowded... and that people's discretion generally fades quickly in a "girly bar". Such businesses operate on the borderline of legality even in good times. 

I do not patronize so-called gentlemen's clubs in which men get to act  in ways inconsistent with my idea of being a gentleman... a bit of Orwellian Newspeak right there. The liquor flows and the entertainment is dumb. That's enough to know that after spending a hundred dollars or so stuffing pictures of Washington and Lincoln into women's cleavage I will wonder the next day how I could so waste money.

A reminder of how horrible COVID-19 can be:

Nick Cordero (September 17, 1978 – July 5, 2020)[1] was a Canadian actor especially known for his stage roles on Broadway. He was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical for his role as Cheech in the 2014 Broadway musical Bullets Over Broadway and was twice nominated for the Drama Desk Awards. His career also included television roles and film roles. He died of complications due to COVID-19 at the age of 41.

In March 2020, Cordero was diagnosed with COVID-19 and was admitted to hospital on March 30.[17] His wife reported that he was in critical condition, on a ventilator, and being treated with dialysis and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).[18] On April 18, 2020, his right leg was amputated as a result of complications from his illness.[19] As of May 1, 2020, he had major lung damage and had not regained consciousness after being taken off sedation.[20][21][22] By May 13, 2020, Cordero had regained consciousness.[17]

On July 5, 2020, after 95 days suffering from COVID-19 symptoms, Cordero died, surrounded by his wife Amanda and family at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Cordero

CNN reports that Trump administration begins formal withdrawal from World Health Organization

If you are going to be wrong, might as well be very very wrong?
CNN reports WHO confirms there's 'emerging evidence' of airborne transmission of coronavirus

This doesn't seem like news.  The major purpose of masks is to vastly decrease the wearer's putting coronavirus spray in the air.  Masks have been a big part of fighting the bug since Wuhan.
(07-08-2020, 05:39 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: CNN reports WHO confirms there's 'emerging evidence' of airborne transmission of coronavirus

This doesn't seem like news.  The major purpose of masks is to vastly decrease the wearer's putting coronavirus spray in the air.  Masks have been a big part of fighting the bug since Wuhan.

I think the new info here is the degree to which the virus can travel and be persistent.  If 6 feet is simply not enough, and the virus hangs in the air for hours, we're in a new ballgame.  Most of the indoor recommendations become moot, except for masking.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nevada governor limits malaria drugs for coronavirus patients girlmonday 0 812 03-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  Coronavirus shows government is a problem, not the solution pmc 7 2,423 03-01-2021, 02:34 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T sbarrera 25 8,636 03-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew