Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Coronavirus
Coronavirus most new cases reported among US states on July 13:

Florida 12,624 (set record for most daily new cases of any state yesterday with 15,000 plus)
Texas 9156
California 8350 (Gov. Newsom finally acts to close up risky businesses in the state)
Georgia 3643
Tennessee 3314
North Carolina 1999
Alabama 1958
Louisiana 1705
South Carolina 1520
Arizona 1357
Washington 1336
Ohio 1263
Kansas 1080
Virginia 972
Missouri 970

only 11 states had less than 100 new cases
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
CNN reports a promising vaccine from Moderna.  It passed Phase 1 testing, but the language suggests the schedule for public release it at least 6 months out.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
I made mentions on some websites that people were not wearing masks. It is possible that someone saw my IP address and chose to crack down and did so knowing the general area where my IP address comes from. If so... I make no apologies.

Mask it or casket!
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(07-14-2020, 04:31 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: CNN reports a promising vaccine from Moderna.  It passed Phase 1 testing, but the language suggests the schedule for public release it at least 6 months out.

Definitely too late to save the Trump Presidency.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

New cases reported in US states July 14
Texas 11,060
California 9561
Florida 9194
Arizona 4273
Georgia 3394
Louisiana 2224
South Carolina 2221
North Carolina 1914
Alabama 1710
Tennessee 1514
Ohio 1168
Nevada 1104
Oklahoma 993

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
CNN reports HHS confirms coronavirus hospital data will now be sent to DC instead of CDC

There is considerable worry that Trump will fudge the data for political gain.  I think it would be interesting if hospitals sent it to both.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(07-15-2020, 02:26 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: CNN reports HHS confirms coronavirus hospital data will now be sent to DC instead of CDC

There is considerable worry that Trump will fudge the data for political gain.  I think it would be interesting if hospitals sent it to both.

Let's hope they do, or at least enough of them to validate the truth, good or ill.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
From KOCO-TV, ABC-5 in Oklahoma City: Governor Kevin Stitt (R-OK) reports testing positive for COVID-19.

https://twitter.com/KOCOJason/status/128...ve-updates

[Image: 16460f463342eb6eec461e382e4d7de607da1c97...=600&h=479]

The AP is reporting China is "Pre Testing" a COVID 19 vaccine, giving injection of the vaccine before western science would judge the vaccine ready.  This may show how autocratic cultures might steal an edge in the Great Race to develop a vaccine.
(07-16-2020, 03:46 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: The AP is reporting China is "Pre Testing" a COVID 19 vaccine, giving injection of the vaccine before western science would judge the vaccine ready.  This may show how autocratic cultures might steal an edge in the Great Race to develop a vaccine.

True, but the production, distribution and clinical stages are the long poles in the vaccine tent.  Apparently, the US leading candidate is already in production, but can 'only' produce 1 Billion doses a year, with two doses required for each individual.  Do the math.  Either many different vaccines will be needed, or some very liberal licensing scheme must be mandated, or the world won't get vaccinated any time soon.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(07-16-2020, 09:16 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 03:46 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: The AP is reporting China is "Pre Testing" a COVID 19 vaccine, giving injection of the vaccine before western science would judge the vaccine ready.  This may show how autocratic cultures might steal an edge in the Great Race to develop a vaccine.

True, but the production, distribution and clinical stages are the long poles in the vaccine tent.  Apparently, the US leading candidate is already in production, but can 'only' produce 1 Billion doses a year, with two doses required for each individual.  Do the math.  Either many different vaccines will be needed, or some very liberal licensing scheme must be mandated, or the world won't get vaccinated any time soon.

I would anticipate that paperwork will not be the limiting factor. Too many people are being hurt, either dead or economically in a hard place. The governments will likely step in to accelerate any vaccine developed.
(07-16-2020, 09:21 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 09:16 AM)David Horn Wrote:

True, but the production, distribution and clinical stages are the long poles in the vaccine tent.  Apparently, the US leading candidate is already in production, but can 'only' produce 1 Billion doses a year, with two doses required for each individual.  Do the math.  Either many different vaccines will be needed, some very liberal licensing scheme must be mandated, or the world won't get vaccinated any time soon.

I would anticipate that paperwork will not be the limiting factor.  Too many people are being hurt, either dead or economically in a hard place.  The governments will likely step in to accelerate any vaccine developed.

At the moment, I expect we'll see several vaccines and mandated licensing of the one(s) most suitable for the third world.  That's just a guess; I have no reason to know that.

...that's also a good way to get a premature 'cure' to the market, one that is effective -- but not safe. China can cover up disasters well.

We are unlikely to have a vaccine for COVID-19 before Trump is defeated. Don't fool yourself (if you are Classix X'er reading this)... Trump is behind and things are not even tightening up for him.

Warren Dew's notion that Georgia and other virus-ignoring and enabling states in the Republican south are not seeing more new cases and deaths is becoming more blatantly false every day.

US states reporting most new cases July 16:

Florida 13,965
Texas 10,243
California 9269
Georgia 3441
Arizona 3259
Tennessee 2479
Louisiana 2278
North Carolina 2074
Alabama 2021
South Carolina 1838

Most new deaths reported:
Florida 156
Texas 134
California 128
South Carolina 72
Arizona 58

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-16-2020, 01:52 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:

...that's also a good way to get a premature 'cure' to the market, one that is effective -- but not safe. China can cover up disasters well.

It fits the Chinese Communist Party approach though.  They value the economy over lives.  They have too many people anyway.  They might view getting the economy going as worth getting a the population cut, a win win so to speak.

It just shortens the fuse on their borrowed time.
AP reports an Oxford. University early attempt at a vaccine showed promising results in early testing.
CNN is now reporting Trump is supporting masks as patriotic, but is trying not to mention this is a reverse of what he has been saying for months.

I suppose tests and PPE will reverse as well in the near future?  If his recent positions hurt his poll numbers enough, he will finally change his positions?

Maybe a bit late?
We just passed the grim milestone of a seventh of a million.That's more than the population of such places as Syracuse, New York; Dayton, Ohio; Waco, Texas; Denton, Texas; McAllen, Texas; and Gainesville, Florida. "Little Old Lady from Pasadena (California)"; your town is in that group.

(07-20-2020, 05:15 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: CNN is now reporting Trump is supporting masks as patriotic, but is trying not to mention this is a reverse of what he has been saying for months.

I suppose tests and PPE will reverse as well in the near future?  If his recent positions hurt his poll numbers enough, he will finally change his positions?

Maybe a bit late?

You're actually trying to be rational and discuss Trump in the same sentence.  Really?
(07-21-2020, 03:07 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 05:15 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: CNN is now reporting Trump is supporting masks as patriotic, but is trying not to mention this is a reverse of what he has been saying for months.

Maybe a bit late?

You're actually trying to be rational and discuss Trump in the same sentence.  Really?

It's a stretch, I know, but once in a while I dream.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nevada governor limits malaria drugs for coronavirus patients girlmonday 0 812 03-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  Coronavirus shows government is a problem, not the solution pmc 7 2,423 03-01-2021, 02:34 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T sbarrera 25 8,635 03-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew