The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think are the major pros/cons of each current generation?
Preface: I can be pretty blunt at times, so I should start with the obvious disclaimer that wonderful people exist in every generation. I've attempted to be even handed here and take a hard look at both the negatives and the positives (I'll be a little nicer to the zoomer kiddos, since they are the least accountable at this point). Needless to say, not every point I or anyone else makes will apply to you, so feel free to let that roll off your back. 

Boomer Pros:
- industrious
- strong conviction
- have the spine to actually debate people. With millennials and zoomers, I have to use kiddy gloves (in the case of the latter, they are children, so I can forgive that), and Gen X usually just don't bother debating people in the first place. 
- actually get their values from themselves rather than relying on outside 
- assertive and direct. boomers know how to communicate. you know where you stand with them.
- unlike millennials, they....actually did shit to make meaningful civil rights progress

Boomer Cons: 
- strong tendency to talk at rather than to people, which often leads to them not really listening and giving blanket, over-simplistic advice that doesn't work for whatever specific situation the person is talking about 
- Turn even the most mundane thing into a moral talking point. sometimes it...really is just a job. you do it, attain your goal, and go home.  
- They call them an "idealist generation" for a reason. as much as I admire the guts and conviction mentioned above, they often hold an almost teenage notion of justice mired in lofty rhetoric at the expense of practical plans of action. you're over 60 now. It's time to stop railing against authority and actually be the authority the world needs now. Being that rebellious when you're in a position of institutional power is dangerous. 
- As a millennial, I always got the sense they were trying to groom me for some moral crusade and distrusted most of them. "great, so all you have to do is come up with the values and I'm the one who actually has to do the fighting? ...nah, that's not gonna happen" 
- get overly worked up over things. It was annoying growing up and having to feel like I always had to be the calm one from like 7 years old. 

13er Pros:
- rugged individualism is awesome. y'all are the least likely to rely on daddy government to give you a sense of purpose and protect you
- enterprising and resourceful
- strong protective instincts 
- usually leave people alone and respect boundaries 
- cliquish behavior is...kinda underrated. it makes much more sense to look out for your own and associate with people of similar interests and values. 

13er Cons:
- being stoic and "strong and silent" all the time does not make you bad ass. it's way more bad ass to actually be assertive 
- I get that you're over-correcting from your own childhood where you weren't given enough protection and affection, but helicopter parenting is not a good look. 
- there is a difference between a healthy dose of self-reliance and being content with a deteriorating system. you care about your kids right? how are you supposed to ensure they have a better future if you won't do anything about the world going to hell in a hand basket?

Millennial Pros: 
- increasingly, they're...actually willing to discuss real policy, 
- seem to be the only ones interested in pragmatic solutions to this crisis 
- more polite to retail and restaurant workers than boomers or Gen X
- generally care about being competent and will put effort into making sure they do things right 
- contrary to popular opinion, millennials are not a selfish generation. they're a very socially minded generation willing to pay the costs to make things better

Millennial Cons: 
- neuroses around self-sacrifice and guilt. if some millennials are doing a good job exercising civic responsibility, others are spiteful and basically want America to fail cuz "colonialism". The implication is that you cannot expect them to debate in good faith because they don't even share the basic assumption of "we want America to be more prosperous"
- reduce everything to demographics and make snap judgments about people's life circumstances based on like 4 factors 
- conventional and obedient. 
- demand other people be conventional and obedient 
- stop trying to save the world and focus on your own life and looking out for your own friends and family
- bitch about boomers, only to....dutifully protest exactly the same causes their parents did. You serious mate?  Rolleyes
- you can be "liberal" or you can constantly police people's behavior, you cannot do both
- millennial feminism is the most atrocious ideology to pop up in American history since Jim Crow. a truly malignant, sarcastic and downright solipsistic value system that attempts to get all of the privileges of men with none of the responsibilities 
- snippy passive-aggression
- it's okay to think you're special, but other people don't have an obligation to care 

Zoomer Pros:
- those memes bro, they be dank. definitely the modern generation with the quickest wit and best sense of humor 
- a lot more sweet and gentle than I remember being when I was younger (millennials were mostly bratty children, including me)
- they aren't just receptive to instruction, they actively seek it out and are respectful when you give it. 
- zoomer conservatives even more based than their conservative boomer grandparents. they understand their views inside and out and are highly educated where it's actually important

Zoomer Cons: 
- I get that you're young, but...there is more to having principles than just being compassionate. 
- Even more passive-aggressive than millennials. with the latter, passive-aggression comes out in more overt episodes you can take note of. With zoomers, their entire communication style is a sliding scale between  I would punch someone my age in the face or ground my children for 2 months if they were that passive-aggressive with me. 
- Zoomers have a well-developed sense of ettiquette. The problem is that it usually doesn't make any sense. for example, it's considered rude to call people without warning them first cuz "social anxiety". In other words...you feel a ton of responsibility to take care of other people's feelings, but none for taking care of your own feelings? That makes no sense at all.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial

Messages In This Thread
What do you think are the major pros/cons of each current generation? - by JasonBlack - 02-18-2022, 04:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A revised list of the "bad apples" of every generation Ghost 16 6,423 01-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Name people who were anomalies for their generation disasterzone 69 49,575 01-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  My Specific Presidential Generation Range (s) Theory Cocoa_Puff 10 5,052 09-01-2022, 05:20 AM
  The Lost Generation: Not Gone Yet! Anthony '58 3 1,200 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  What If Everyone Born from 1967 to 1991 is Generation X? Victorian Jim Dandy 10 3,454 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Most Useless Famous People of Each Generation JasonBlack 13 3,473 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Entertainers by Generation GeekyCynic 4 1,546 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM
  The "Bad Apples" of each generation Ghost 72 46,949 02-11-2022, 12:31 AM
  Current anomaly: Five generations alive! Hintergrund 90 48,625 12-12-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Anti-generation-ers jleagans 3 2,634 12-16-2020, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Cocoa_Puff