Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most dangerous time since the Civil War
(12-03-2017, 12:44 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 06:47 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: The student loan and tuition rebate treatment merely levels the playing field with those who save for their own or their kids' education.  Why should people who manage their money well be penalized relative to those who save nothing and depend on loans or payment in kind for their education?

Tell me how a poor child with great college scores and great talent can save $80K for college through work.  The savings that most kids have for college end up going for clothes, recreational reading, an occasional movie ticket, a dinner date, or maybe (if 21+) a drink.

A kid with great college scores and great talent should have no problem saving $20k/year from a part time job.  That said, the bill doesn't prevent people from taking out loans; it just stops advantaging such people over those who work their way through college or save first.

Quote:We are going to throw away talent that could be our great engineers, creative people, and executives, perhaps to be domestic servants and farm laborers because they cannot pay taxes on a college scholarship.

Scholarships continue not to be taxed.  It's only people who are being paid partially through tuition forgiveness that are now taxed on that pay - you know, same as if they were paid the full amount in the first place and then used some of that money for their tuition payments.  Basically the law just closed a loophole that permitted universities to bilk grant payers - usually the taxpayer - by artificially inflating their tuition rates.

Quote:
Quote:I understand how people who are receiving government benefits and fear they might be forced to take jobs they consider to be beneath them might object, but for those of us who actually work, pay taxes, and support the rest of society, it is merely justice.

In my case I consider suicide an option, as I hate my life and see no other escape. End of my suffering. I have quit taking my blood pressure medication.

Save your melodrama.  Blood pressure medication just prevents your body from elevating blood pressure in order to get adequate oxygen to your tissues through narrowed arteries; it's a treatment of symptoms, not causes.  Granted sedentary modern man doesn't need the oxygen delivery capability that active hunter gatherers needed, so the medication probably doesn't do that much harm, either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The most dangerous time since the Civil War - by Warren Dew - 12-03-2017, 05:14 AM