Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What caused Baby Boomers to be so paranoid?
(10-31-2016, 06:52 AM)disasterzone Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 06:30 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(10-29-2016, 11:41 PM)disasterzone Wrote: To create all these zero tolerance rules and have kids arrested for things they got to do when young. Also were deeply into things like the Patriot Act. Why do they panic so easily over things like school shootings and terrorism?

With respect to zero tolerance rules, it isn't paranoia, it's knowledge.  Boomers know what we did when we were young, we don't want our kids doing it, and since we know what would have stopped us, we know how to stop them.  This is also why Millenial protesters end up being used as political pawns, rather than creating a self sustaining protest culture as the Boomers did in the 1960s.

The so called Patriot act didn't happen until Boomers were in the 40-60 age range and most parents were Gen X, so I wouldn't say that was mainly Boomer paranoia.  I strongly suspect that was the result of loss of the Silent ability to look at both sides of each story.  Boomers and Gen X politicians were more willing to tighten government control - and thus their own power - at the cost off individual rights, letting no crisis go to waste.

But you're willing to destroy lots of lives just so that you can feel safe. With the age of the internet, one blemish can ruin someone's entire life. It's like you're setting up a system where people aren't free to make mistakes.

What this system did to me (and I had several close calls that could have wrecked my life) is it made me able to think several steps ahead and plan things out to get them done behind backs. If you're not a group consensus person and you're in this era, you have no other choice but to be sneaky and manipulative while having a smile on your face and acting very good. The only other options are having group consensus swallow you whole since you'd be the lone protester, or doing things without thinking, just living life and having your life ruined. And if you go the complete risk averse route like many Millennials, you end up not getting anything done unless a bunch of people agree with you. I don't have time to wait for things to end. You have to be pragmatic now. I hate it when people are so afraid of taking a risk they would rather sit and ridicule the person trying to get something done while they themselves do nothing but wait for some giant consensus to magically appear. I don't know how you can be so patient to wait for something where by the time there's consensus, most of your life is already over. Or wait to react to something because they feel it's immature or that it's better just to live your life and somehow not care.

I don't think you can blame the internet on Boomers.  I mean, we've got one Boomer presidential candidate who thought it was a good idea to put classified information on an unsecured server, and another who doesn't use email at all.

I empathize with your difficult situation.  I'd suggest your best bet, since we haven't reached the first turning yet, is to join up with others who are open to a consensus that you are happy with and try to make that the first turning consensus, so it won't be completely unbearable to you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What caused Baby Boomers to be so paranoid? - by Warren Dew - 10-31-2016, 08:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atlantic Monthly, 24 June 2019: The Boomers Ruined Everything pbrower2a 23 19,084 10-06-2022, 12:48 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Where the Boomers Led Us, Or Our Worse Presidency to Date sbarrera 31 16,503 08-01-2022, 01:13 PM
  Book: Are Baby Boomers A ‘Generation Of Sociopaths’? pbrower2a 26 16,791 07-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Boomers and their stay-at-home mothers Hintergrund 20 15,047 10-26-2019, 02:35 PM
  Boomers' reputation on the Internet sbarrera 33 23,142 10-23-2019, 07:38 PM
  Happy birthday, Boomers! pbrower2a 1 2,820 01-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Boomers Riding Off Into The Sunset X_4AD_84 27 27,149 03-15-2017, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Galen
Video Gavin McInnis on Baby Boomers Kinser79 65 92,470 09-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew
  Whether Clinton or Trump, Baby Boomers will reclaim White House next year Dan '82 5 7,074 07-28-2016, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Galen