Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atlantic Monthly, 24 June 2019: The Boomers Ruined Everything
(06-26-2019, 11:56 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 04:46 AM)taramarie Wrote: It actually has an excellent point and the only worthless thing here is the commentary that goes along with it above my comment. It is spot on for us millennials, including us millennials overseas who are stuck with the mess and who have been lied to by boomers particularly about the freaking degrees.

We Boomers have bolloxed things badly.  I agree.  Then again, we've been operating on a tight wire without the benefit of a net.  The older modes of behavior we were raised to follow were decrepit in our youth and totally moribund today.  The ones we've created to replace them leave a lot to be desired, as you might expect.  Part and parcel: we're split into diametrically opposed factions, making it impossible for us to present a coherent message -- even a bad one.  So, you're on your own to work things through.  We wish you well.

This reflects, so far as I can tell, Boomer economic and bureaucratic elites getting away with what no other generation could get away with. The GI Generation had an ethos of taking care of each other, at least in their own communities and organizations; I expect much the same with the Millennial Generation. The Silent simply followed the dominant trend, with people like Carl Icahn, "Chainsaw Al" Dunlap, and Jack Welch as flagrant outliers. Although Boom non-elites found themselves cowed and were unable to exercise the latent narcissism of an Idealist generation, the elites found nothing to stop them. If a Reactive gets rich, then it will be by either personal enterprise (Dell) or by spectacular achievement, as it was for the Lost. Entrepreneurs who start with little and spectacular achievers in entertainment or the professions are not oppressors as inheritors who press their advantages and corrupt the political elites are. I expect the tax laws to hit passive investments and bureaucratic incomes as the main body of Generation X to get into its sixties.

It is safe to assume that a Boomer who has spent most of his adult life in a servile or labor occupation has had humility (the antithesis of narcissism) forced upon him The Boom elites have shown no solidarity with Boom non-elites. Boomer elites have been the absolutely worst in structuring society with the idea that the rest of Humanity exists to suffer for elite gain, indulgence, and power.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where the Boomers Led Us, Or Our Worse Presidency to Date sbarrera 31 16,446 08-01-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Book: Are Baby Boomers A ‘Generation Of Sociopaths’? pbrower2a 26 16,756 07-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Boomers and their stay-at-home mothers Hintergrund 20 15,011 10-26-2019, 02:35 PM
  Boomers' reputation on the Internet sbarrera 33 23,069 10-23-2019, 07:38 PM
  Happy birthday, Boomers! pbrower2a 1 2,820 01-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Boomers Riding Off Into The Sunset X_4AD_84 27 27,109 03-15-2017, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Galen
  What caused Baby Boomers to be so paranoid? disasterzone 22 26,558 02-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Last Post: ImpalaMama
Video Gavin McInnis on Baby Boomers Kinser79 65 92,387 09-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew
  Whether Clinton or Trump, Baby Boomers will reclaim White House next year Dan '82 5 7,066 07-28-2016, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Galen