The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Each Generation's Name (since Revolutionary Saeculum) Ranked
It's been a while since my last thread. We talked a bit about the origin of some generations' names, and I like ranking stuff, so why not make this thread?
To clarify, I'm not ranking them based on their accomplishments or traits or whatever. Their positions here are based purely on their names, in my personal opinion with a ton of bias.
I know very little about gens before the Revolutionary Saeculum, and most things before the creation of the U.S. bore me, so I feel unqualified to rank those.
---

15) Missionary - The most Civic-Hero-sounding name, and it's for prophets. That's always bugged me. This name gives the same vibe as "G.I. Gen" or "Republican Gen". That's it really.

14) Progressive - Sure, the name fits. They played a huge role in the Progressive Era as well as the Missionaries. It's not bad at all to name generations after eras. But the named 'Progressive' gives huge boring-800-page-school-text-book vibes, and the name overall seems to lack flavor to me. Especially on Adaptives, idk why.

13) Compromise - And here we have the most Adaptive-Artist-sounding name! Same problem with the Progressive Gen. It's not a bad name at all, it just can't make me feel many emotions.

12) Homeland- Can we get an F in the chat for us Artists But yeah, the name seems outdated at this point, and I prefer using "Gen Z" (even if it provokes anger within me because of times when Redditors on r/GenZ get offended when I calmly say that I don't think Gen Z starts in the 90s). Same boring textbook-sounding name. Maybe it's because I wasn't alive when the Department of Homeland Security was founded, so the name just sounds like a painful government lesson to me.

11) Baby Boom - It's better to name generations after a characteristic they develop or an event they've gone through. The Boomer generation started before the baby boom, and it ended before the end of the baby boom. This confuses Pew and makes them latch onto that one characteristic to determine the birth range of that generation. This causes statistics and research projects to be technically incorrect, and it confuses many Xers who think they're being targetted by Boomer hate. Down with Pew. Please stop this.
...But it's fun to call old people "Boomers", and I also like calling people my age "Zoomers". It's a fun-sounding name.

10) Millennial - The first civic name to appear here, and next to their parents. It sounds magical because they're gonna absolutely rule the first half of the first century of the new Millenium. That's it.

9) Transcendental - The first image that pops up in my head when thinking of this is a sitting room filled with high-class men in white wigs with maids pouring rainbow-colored tea in their golden china teacups. I don't think that's the image I'm supposed to get at all (Awakeners maybe?) but eh, I like that its fancy-sounding.

8) Republican - I like it, and it fits. I guess it's slightly awkward in a time where it's a huge and controversial political party.

7) G.I. - Simple, sweet, fitting. Please don't call them the "Greatest" Generation tho.

6) Awakening - Simple, sweet, fittting. I am now at a higher consciousness.

5) Gilded - This is the saddest sounding name, and it doesn't even have the edgy coolness the "Lost" Generation has. ...And that's what makes it a good name. The Gilded Age was their age, and the shame that goes along with it is fascinating.

4) Liberty - Simple, sweet, fitting. Actually it's badass, not sweet. I love it.

These last three are practically a tie...

X - "The "X" refers to an unknown variable or to a desire not to be defined." The name's just so edgy and cool sounding. And pop culture at the time of Gen X's youth loved using that letter iirc. When I think of X, I think of an abandoned teenager in loose dark clothing lighting a cigarette, just using his unbandaged right hand, which is covered in scars. He sees the other kids picking fights with each other, trying to ignore them, but when one punches him, he pulls out a katana and barely holds back. I get very weird thoughts. But yeah, 11/10 name.

Silent - Poor babies! Gotta protect them from any danger at all cost. This name implies many things, but it stems from their experiences during WWII and the Great Depression. They were hushed by adults, who didn't let them do much besides alleviating the Crisis through small deeds. They became rebels without a cause, ones that were very reflective. I can't imagine what beautiful tragedies were painted inside their heads every day. They are not a physical generation, they are a mental one. Somber perfection.

Lost- This generation has some of the worst people of all time, but also outstanding writers. I can't imagine coming back from WWI with PTSD, taking a blow from the Great Depression, seeing your kids fight in WWII, living in darkness until you reach your old age, when little matters to you anymore. Somber perfection as well.
---

I'd love to see what you guys think of the names of each Generation! Hearing other opinions is fun Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Each Generation's Name (since Revolutionary Saeculum) Ranked - by Camz - 03-09-2020, 05:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A revised list of the "bad apples" of every generation Ghost 16 6,312 01-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Name people who were anomalies for their generation disasterzone 69 48,967 01-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  My Specific Presidential Generation Range (s) Theory Cocoa_Puff 10 4,952 09-01-2022, 05:20 AM
  The Lost Generation: Not Gone Yet! Anthony '58 3 1,170 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  What do you think are the major pros/cons of each current generation? JasonBlack 51 11,604 06-14-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  What If Everyone Born from 1967 to 1991 is Generation X? Victorian Jim Dandy 10 3,365 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM
  Most Useless Famous People of Each Generation JasonBlack 13 3,374 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM
  Entertainers by Generation GeekyCynic 4 1,507 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM
  The "Bad Apples" of each generation Ghost 72 46,413 02-11-2022, 12:31 AM
  My Millennial Saeculum Theory RELFantastic 25 9,138 07-16-2021, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Remy Renault