Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How conservative are Homelanders really?
(04-18-2020, 04:44 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 01:52 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 04:49 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 11:32 AM)Blazkovitz Wrote: The alt-right is mostly a gen X thing. You overestimate the influence of certain online contrarians. See some of comments by Camz.

Artists are not supposed to rebel until they have a midlife crisis Confused 

What worries me more is the growing abandonment of civilized values in favour of barbarism, both on the right and the left. Identity politics replaces individual responsibility. Futurist aims are considered unfashionable and nostalgia is growing.
I think it seems more like a Gen X and older Millennial thing.

The only Gen Zers I could think of that are alt-right are Nick Fuentes, Thomas Rousseau, Jaden McNeil (one of Fuentes' groupies), Naomi Seibt (probably), and some of those mass shooters from last year like John Earnest.

I'm not including those from the r/GenZ brigade from last year and those from r/zoomerright because I am not really sure what their ages are.

I agree with your last paragraph for sure.

The alt right was largely originally a boomer-silent thing. Hannity and the other Fox News idiots, Drudge, the founders of Breitbart, Steve Bannon, Roger Stone, Jared Taylor, Roger Ailes, are older than Gen X. Gen X members have stoked the movement further led by Richard Spencer who apparently coined the term. I think to call it a phenomenon of video games trivializes the movement and its danger.

Why stop with Boomers and Silents?  Right wing extremism has been around in America for a very long time.  The alt-right is a late Gen X/early Millennial form of it.  The term "alt-right" is Gen X in style, borrowing as it does from terms like "alternative rock" and "alt-country" (I suppose Spencer was trying to cast his message of hate as some kind of heroic fight against the mainstream.)

Gen X is also responsible for antifa, which rose in response to the neo-Nazi skinheads of the 80s.

I suppose the term "alt" came from computer culture in the 80s and 90s relating to newsgroups. But the whole boomer-led Breitbart thing was a major force.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: How conservative are Homelanders really? - by Eric the Green - 04-21-2020, 06:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kids react = Homelanders react sbarrera 0 1,201 07-28-2020, 05:24 PM
Last Post: sbarrera
  New adaptives most socially conservative since Silents? Warren Dew 19 18,510 02-06-2019, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  Homelanders: Mid 90s or Mid 00s? HoldOn 53 46,305 10-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a