Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi?
(01-08-2017, 05:37 PM)Mikebert Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 12:26 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: Trump has a terrific opportunity on the economic front, because there has been no actual recovery from the financial recession.  Instead, under the Obama administration, the economy has grown parallel to the long term trend, but below it, rather than recovering to the long term trend after the recession as is more usual.

[Image: cbo_fit_postwar.png]

If Trump can identify and reverse the Obama policies that prevented a recovery, and avoid implementing any depressive policies of his own such as trade isolationism, there could be a rapid first term economic improvement that would make him wildly popular.  Granted that is a big "if".

As the graph shows the deviation from linearity began after 2000. Both sides have had a crack at it with no results. The problem is things are better for those on the top than they have been for a very long time. Furthermore Republicans are completely dominant without having done anything to address this issue. As soon as Obama leaves office they can assert that its morning in America again.  Polls show the GOP base is coming to believe that the economy is in good shape since the election. If it ain't broke you don't fix it.

The substantial deviation from the trend clearly starts with the 2008 recession.  Prior to that, the line was as close to the trend as it was for most of the 1990s.  I grant that the housing bubble did not produce the same upward pop that the internet bubble did, but that has limited relevance to the current situation.

I don't see how you can say the Republicans are dominant when the President is still a Democrat.

Parts of the Republican base may be reacting to the effervescence of the stock market in the wake of the election.  However, if Trump doesn't deliver improved wages and employability to the working class whites who put him over the top, or substantial improvement to some other segment to make up for their votes, he's going to have difficulty winning reelection.

Quote:This has happened before after ca. 1910:
[Image: latest?cb=20080315042052]
Last time effective action on the problem was taken only after those at the top perceived that they had a problem.  I don't think we are there yet.

What do you see as the issue in 1910, and how and when do you think it was addressed?  Fair warning:  I can see what you're talking about, but it appears to me to date from about 1907 with respect to GDP, and it doesn't appear to me ever to have been addressed;

Messages In This Thread
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Warren Dew - 01-08-2017, 11:04 PM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-13-2017, 08:06 AM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-13-2017, 09:27 PM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-13-2017, 09:31 PM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-13-2017, 08:01 AM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-15-2017, 08:38 PM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-13-2017, 07:54 AM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-14-2017, 10:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Prominent Republicans call for Donald Trump to drop out of the nomination Bronsin 16 22,098 10-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Webmaster