Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Donald Trump: polls of approval and favorability
(05-19-2017, 10:30 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: A lot can change by 2020 but it is interesting to see the Upper Midwest becoming more and more hostile to Trump.

The telling one is Pennsylvania, which Trump barely won but looks as if it would go in a landslide to just about any Democratic nominee against him. Virginia was a modest Trump loss, but its polling results for the President are the political equivalent of a third-degree burn.

I'd like to see a poll of Ohio and more recent polls of Michigan and Iowa. I was polled in Michigan, and if this is for a statewide poll, I might have  results to show.

One of the most telling is heavily-Mormon Utah, a state that Republican nominees for President have typically won by huge margins except in 1964 since Eisenhower pulled  Mormons into the Republican camp. Donald Trump is about as far from practicing a Mormon way of life as is possible. His Party could pay a heavy price for that. Utah and Arizona have large Mormon populations. I can hardly imagine a more fitting exercise of democracy than Mormons choosing an Obama-like Democrat over Donald Trump to teach a lesson: offend Mormon values with behavior incompatible with Mormon values, and lose.

Recent national polls show President Trump with approval figures in the high thirties. I may lack the imagination to see how he could recover from that; after all I did not see the collapse of the Clinton campaign. He does have far more time in which to p[ull out of his current unpopularity than did Carter in the summer of 1980... but so far as I can tell, he doesn't understand what the Presidency is.

Imagine this situation: you are the manager of a fast-food restaurant, and someone immaculately dressed applies for a job. He* talks about art, history, classical music, philosophy, and literature. As you discuss the mundane reality of the job, he has something more to say that impresses you of his brilliance and erudition. Do you hire him? I say not. None of his brilliance has any relevance to the work that he will be doing. His co-workers are more likely to discuss pop music or professional wrestling, about which he will be clueless. His customers won't be interested.

If I were in that manager's position I would rather hire someone proud to push a broom, clean the grills, and take out the trash.

I see no evidence that President Trump is a learned or brilliant man irrespective of his bloated self-image. He does not understand what the Presidency is about. He acts like a dictator, contrary to the reality of most of the checks and balances having their focus on thwarting any executive despotism.

*Pronouns may be altered to fit the other possibility of gender.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2022 midterm polls Eric the Green 108 13,132 11-24-2022, 11:14 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Joe Biden: polls of approval and favorability pbrower2a 348 91,215 03-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Biden's approval rating hits new low in latest Quinnipiac poll chairb 0 620 10-18-2021, 11:05 PM
Last Post: chairb
  Trump hits new low in approval poll nebraska 108 26,559 03-02-2021, 05:07 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Approval Ratings Meaningless jleagans 2 1,199 02-04-2021, 12:48 PM
Last Post: jleagans
  BBC Video... Donald Trump and the MAFIA pbrower2a 2 1,840 05-29-2020, 03:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Congress Approval Rating Hits Lowest Point of Trump Era 1948 0 1,685 01-31-2018, 12:05 AM
Last Post: 1948
  Polling suggests people are losing trust in Trump as his approval ratings decline nebraska 0 1,408 01-20-2018, 03:21 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Trump’s Approval Rating is Tanking to New Lows as His Base Falls Apart nebraska 0 1,255 12-31-2017, 09:06 PM
  More than 200 new laws win Pence approval nebraska 0 1,243 12-28-2017, 09:17 PM