Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Donald Trump: polls of approval and favorability
(06-22-2017, 06:37 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(06-22-2017, 02:29 AM)Galen Wrote: Normally with this many special elections at least one or two seats should have flipped to Dims and this was one of the more likely ones.  None of them did and it took a seven times spending advantage and over sampling the polls like the media did last year to get this close.  The Dims still haven't learned anything and my guess is that their latest antics are in fact pissing people off.

I have often said that a fourth turning marks the end of an order and way of looking at things.  My suspicion is that when future history books are written they will say that the election of Trump marked the real end of the Progressive Era.  It looks like the next saeculum will be marked by the destruction of large entities including nation states.

My crystal ball is still hazy.  Yes, a lot of Democrats are portraying the opposition as deplorable and getting people angry.  See my notes to and about Eric.  As long as the Erics of the world are doing their thing, the reds are just going to become more stubborn and ticked off.

It will be interesting how the financial problems in states such and Illinois, which have been run by Dims for decades, play out.  It seems likely that the Dims will be blamed for this.  In the west pretty much every national government is functionally bankrupt.  This is a sign that the nation-state is no longer functioning combined with the general contempt politicians are now held.  I would suggest a little light reading on the subject.

People tend to look at the world in a very linear way.  Eric the Obtuse and Odin expect the centralization trend that started in the early modern period to continue and so believe the world will always be what they have known.  When I see major organizations all exhibit similar signs of failure then it is safe to say that the long term trends are about to change.  Religion as a major organizing force did not last forever and I see no reason that the nation-state, at least at its current scale, to last forever.

What we are seeing now is that the always existing cold war between the tax-payer and tax-consumer is turning hot because the state is running out of loot.  It is only a matter of time before the continual pillaging cause some kind of negative reaction of which I believe we are seeing the leading edge.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2022 midterm polls Eric the Green 108 13,123 11-24-2022, 11:14 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Joe Biden: polls of approval and favorability pbrower2a 348 91,116 03-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Biden's approval rating hits new low in latest Quinnipiac poll chairb 0 620 10-18-2021, 11:05 PM
Last Post: chairb
  Trump hits new low in approval poll nebraska 108 26,515 03-02-2021, 05:07 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Approval Ratings Meaningless jleagans 2 1,199 02-04-2021, 12:48 PM
Last Post: jleagans
  BBC Video... Donald Trump and the MAFIA pbrower2a 2 1,840 05-29-2020, 03:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Congress Approval Rating Hits Lowest Point of Trump Era 1948 0 1,684 01-31-2018, 12:05 AM
Last Post: 1948
  Polling suggests people are losing trust in Trump as his approval ratings decline nebraska 0 1,408 01-20-2018, 03:21 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Trump’s Approval Rating is Tanking to New Lows as His Base Falls Apart nebraska 0 1,255 12-31-2017, 09:06 PM
  More than 200 new laws win Pence approval nebraska 0 1,243 12-28-2017, 09:17 PM