Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worker Cooperatives Are More Productive Than Normal Companies
(05-14-2016, 03:14 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: I would argue that the problem with the argument "A regulatory state is necessary because people are evil" runs into a problem with the statement that people are evil.  I would say that persons who truly are evil are incredibly rare.  Most people, the vast majority (we're talking >95% here), are neither evil nor good, they operate however on the principle of their own self-interest and in the interests of their in-group.

Interestingly, in a co-op situation, the company itself creates an in-group.  I do know that in Japan it is seen that the corporation is seen as having an in-group responsibility to its employees to provide them with decent pay and the ability to retire comfortably.  Establishing an in-group relationship,  and in turn employees are expected to work as hard as possible to make the corporation as profitable as possible.

Where regulation comes into play is between these in-groups and the public at large.

I would argue in large part where the US lost its way was in the ideology that businesses should operate solely in the interests of its owners (share holders) and that is the end all be all of the social responsibility.  This makes companies in general, and corporations in particular, sociopathic and destructive to the largest in-group possible the nation.

FWIW my workplace does a good job keeping us happy with donuts every Monday morning, pizza on the last Friday of the month, and a Thanksgiving dinner on the day before Thanksgiving.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Worker Cooperatives Are More Productive Than Normal Companies - by Odin - 05-14-2016, 03:57 PM