Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(11-06-2016, 12:38 AM)taramarie Wrote:
Galen Wrote:They believe that they are right and everyone else should bow down before them and are equally clueless.
From what I have observed this is true. Both seeking to change the system and ultimately affect the people economically and culturally, but different agenda. Unless someone tells me otherwise that is what it looks like to me from what I have listened to.

As I said same shoe different foot it will not fit every time. So what to do to be inclusive of everyone? Respect the differences perhaps and if that cannot be done segregation may have to become a thing to protect certain beliefs not affected by others that interfere with others in order for some peace of mind. It does bother me though that they will end up in a bubble with no real understanding of others different from them however. That is merely a quick fix but does not address the issue of understanding others but also not infringing on rights and ultimately pissing people off.

I see this as going way back.  In the Agricultural Age, the Bible, pope and king could determine how everyone ought to live, and use all sorts of coercion to force it.  The Enlightenment proposed there are certain unalienable rights, and that government should not be able to coerce in violation of these right.  Thus, people should be able to establish their own life styles.

I view the series of S&H crises as struggles to move western civilization away from the Agricultural Age pattern towards the new Enlightenment pattern.  The shift from rigid authoritarian government to rights, diversity and limits on the power of government is part of this.  As such, the current red / Republican faction in the US can be viewed as fighting a rear guard action, attempting to preserve the remnants of elite privilege and authority.  On the other hand, the blue / Democratic faction is attempting to extend rights, diversity, equality and democracy.

The above pattern should be painted with a very broad brush.  It is a trend that holds over the centuries, but doesn't fit perfectly into every issue in every crisis.

Understanding other cultures is hard and will remain hard.  Allowing others who are different to be different in peace, not stepping on them so long as they don't step on you, shouldn't be hard.  Some, however, believe stepping on inferior folk is their right.

As such, I believe Galen's simplistic stereotype is inadequate.  Blue boomers and blue folk from other generations as well are much more accepting of diversity, are much less apt to force perceived inferiors to abide by their culture.  Again, the Clinton and Trump campaigns illustrate this reasonably well.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Messages In This Thread
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 123,278 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,582 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,624 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,898 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,834 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,251 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,662 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,052 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green