Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
(01-04-2021, 02:31 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 12:46 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: [Image: f740114664d188d804dbf85667dae2b268bc89ea...=800&h=427]

[Image: be5025f4f2c8b908b6e073cf9591825eb4f99f93...=800&h=662]
I assume that you don't know that it is unconstitutional for a court to change state election laws. You have to be more careful about what you post that could make you look like a Nazi supporter. So, what did the Nazi's do after they were elected? Trump is going to push it to the limit which he has the legal right to do and you and Biden are going have to suck it up and accept it for now. As I recall, you had some Nazi's in your family right. I guess the apple doesn't fall from the tree. So, you must be OK with laws being broken by Democrats. That's good, you keep doing that and thinking that way because that's what we need to see more of by the Democrats.

Courts can interpret laws to prevent denial of a right, and mandate measures that protect the use of such a right. This time the potential denial of the right to vote comes not from a human agency but instead from a virus that makes voting in person dangerous. As a general rule a change in the regulations of voting that allow more legitimate voters to cast votes pass judicial review. Thus practices that make it easier for handicapped people to vote (let us say having Braille ballots) are tolerable. 

Regulations that make voting more difficult, especially if such regulations effectively discriminate against people by income, ethnicity, or religion, generally do not pass Constitutional muster. For example, if a state allows a highly-populous county to have but one polling place, then such would be discriminatory as it would make travel to the polling place expensive and time-consuming and effectively impossible to people with low-paying jobs. I have voted in California (often in the garage of someone's house within walking distance... which is neat, or a common area at a college residence hall), Texas (public schools), and Michigan (township halls); by ballot read by people, by machine, and by a ballot read by a machine. Putting a polling place in a police station or jail might be troublesome. 

Any physical threat to a voter, overt or implicit, is intolerable.  An armed militia at a polling place would be an obvious threat. A bunch of people wearing hoods and robes who have cameras that they point at voters? Such would be implicit. Either way, I would expect the police to remove such people from the polling place. The SARS-2 virus that causes COVID-19  has no standing as a participant in any American election. It is a genuine threat in the sense that an armed militia would pose. Allowing people who ordinarily must vote in person to vote absentee or early is an acceptable solution. Some states already have voting by mail as a norm, and that fully passes Constitutional muster.

Get used to it, Classic X'er. The only problem with it was that more people voted than ordinarily did, and the vote was counted slower than usual. Some states will likely go that way permanently; they will make the appropriate adjustments.  

...If you want to know what I hate about Nazis other than war, state terror, genocide, enslavement, and looting of occupied nations, then remember well the most degrading feature of life in George Orwell's 1984: Newspeak, or the debasement of words themselves into lies. Verbal communication makes us truly human, and the transformation of all language into meaningless bunk dehumanizes people in his fictional 1984. Two of the worst systems at so debasing language were the Soviet Union and the Third Reich.

Quote:Trump is going to push it to its limit. 

In fact he has pushed the effort to rescue his failed effort to get re-elected into the realm of illegality even today with a telephone call to the Attorney General of the state of Georgia asking that he 'find enough votes to flip Georgia to the President. 
Aside from the obvious fact that the sixteen electoral votes of Georgia will not make a difference, that call is an effort (itself wire fraud) to elicit either forgery (creating false votes) or perjury (as a false sworn statement of the electoral results). He has no right to encourage others to commit crimes on behalf of his failed electoral campaign to falsify the result. That itself is a violation of the law. Even if he is President he is not above the law. 

As for any Nazi connection: I have German ancestors, and some of their descendants may have done horrible things in the service of the Third Reich, the Nazi Party, and Adolf Hitler. I can track ancestors back to the 16th century in Switzerland and Germany... but I have no desire to connect to any Nazi war criminals any more than I want to connect to Wild West outlaws, to butchers of American First Peoples, to slave traffickers, or such marauders as the Barrow-Parker gang or John Dillinger. One does not choose one's ancestors or relatives except through marriage.
I do genealogy as a hobby, and someone hinted based on descent from the same person, that my paternal Y-DNA is probably EM-35. That line is very common among Jews, both Sephardic and Ashkenazic (about 16% of those populations) and otherwise rare in western Europe. The ancestor in question has a given name comparatively rare in Holland (Adam). He did have a short sojourn to the abortive Dutch colony in Brazil, but he got out of there fast. Fear of the Inquisition, perhaps?
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - by pbrower2a - 01-04-2021, 11:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 123,423 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,584 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,625 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,899 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,835 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,255 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,662 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,056 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green