Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can!
This is a dated and unrealistic view of "Ell Ay". Any part of America that has the population of Michigan in an area the size of Massachusetts that has done no planning for such a fate is in deep trouble. Randy Newman's "I Love L A" sets the stage for a remake of his video that in 1983 showed that Southern California  doesn't quite fit the Hollywood dream:

Quite frankly, Greater LA was a far nicer place back when a car such as the 1955 Buick in which Randy Newman drives around was new. You know... Orange County had orange groves, Disneyland was affordable, and Caltrans had yet to fully implement the freeway system that ended up facilitating longer commutes, heavier traffic, and more air pollution. Hollywood was that big shiny object to entice people from such drab places as Passaic, Paterson, Peoria and Pittsburgh. The weather was nice, at the least. California was attracting good K-12 teachers; it's now getting stuck with people who can't teach elsewhere and have difficulty teaching such students as are there, especially in Greater LA. Teaching is a hardship career in California.

More recent and more realistic. San Francisco and San Jose are fine if you like being little more than a conduit of money from your employer to your landlord. I can't say anything about San Diego, as I haven't been there since the 1970's. Except for Sacramento, the Central Valley is basically western Texas with far higher taxes. (Western Texas is awful, and it's losing population). Oakland is a dump. 

Don't get me wrong; I love the Mediterranean climate. But if I wanted to move to a place with a Mediterranean climate and a great shoreline it would now be Portugal. I used to live in California. I wouldn't do so now. It's not what it used to be. (I can read Portuguese, which will help).

Now take a look at the super-expensive cars. Some of those could pay the tuition and rent for a four-year degree at the fine state universities of California. Money spent on some of those cars might instead be invested in a mom-and-pop business that allows one to make a living. Somehow I have usually noted that ostentatious spending often signals great poverty as a dark side. I know, I know, I know... I could never truly appreciate a sports car because I see vehicular speed as a commodity for schmucks. I also have a sordid definition for luxury, which means ostentatious waste.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
Basket of Deplorables - by John J. Xenakis - 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RE: Basket of Deplorables - by pbrower2a - 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
RE: Gringrich - by The Wonkette - 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: Let's make fun of Trump, bash him, etc. while we can! - by pbrower2a - 01-05-2022, 05:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets make fun of Obama while he is still relevant. Galen 207 123,500 01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Stimulus Bill Would Make Illegal Streaming a Felony LNE 7 2,584 02-02-2021, 04:12 AM
Last Post: random3
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,625 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Bill would make New York first state to ban declawing of cats nebraska 0 1,899 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  Bill would make it a crime to videotape police in Arizona nebraska 0 1,835 01-11-2018, 04:01 AM
  High taxes, regulations make NY dead last in freedom nebraska 4 3,255 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
  This result Bundy of trial should be fun. Galen 0 1,662 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Galen
  Let's make fun of and bash Gary Johnson too! Eric the Green 16 18,059 10-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green